Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike_Parenti
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Is it possible to continue my Pre2 as a PDA if I finally give up and move to Android? I can't believe I am thinking of this, but the phone is just not useful enough. However, I still use 2 very helpful programs through Classic and would need to continue until I find a replacement, or see if they will work using StyleTap.
    Would it be as easy as just keeping the phone in wifi mode? Is it possible to turn of the phones radio or keep it from trying to access the Verizon network?

Thanks for any help you can give.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    You should easily be able to use the device if you switch. I moved off of Sprint and My Pre2 still worked perfectly well only on wifi. If you don't want the radio on, just put it in Airplane Mode, but that shouldn't be necessary as it simply sees no cell service anyhow.
    You don't even need to turn the cell radio off, but you'll save a lot of power if you do. And in case of an emergency 911 will work whenever the cell radio is on.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    Global Posts
    318 Global Posts
    Thanks guys.
    I backed up all my information, made a new save/restore archive, backed up the classic files, which I ironically was able to import into classic on my touchpad and for some reason seems stable and functional as long as I use tealscript to put in the information in the old graffiti way. I think I'll put the phone in airplane mode with just wifi on before the new phone is set up.
    Feeling a bit sad knowing that for the first time in many years, my phone will no longer be a Palm/WebOS phone.
    Tim Boche

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
    Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
    To be doubly sure, you can also disable data access from the Phone app Preferences.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You should easily be able to use the device if you switch. I moved off of Sprint and My Pre2 still worked perfectly well only on wifi. If you don't want the radio on, just put it in Airplane Mode, but that shouldn't be necessary as it simply sees no cell service anyhow.
    My inactive Pre2 sees service just fine - it just can't call out except to 911 (well, it's supposed to, but I'm not testing it ) It certainly won't use any data, but it does improve battery life to turn it off. Several of my webOS phones will lose time if they are in airplane mode too long. My Pre3 hasn't that I've noticed. I found ClockSync's periodic refresh to be unreliable on my Pre+, which is the worst offender. It will lose days when in airplane mode or off for more than a day or so.
    I had my kid's Pre2s on WIFI only at first (Xmas presents that we went to get the SIMs afterwards)..

Works fine, the easiest way to get them working right is do the initial setup with a SIM with DATA (I used mine), and once that's done, take the SIM out, put it in airplane mode to shut all radios off, then turn on the WIFI (and Bluetooth for headphones or such if you use them). This will keep the cell radio off and save a lot of battery power and prevent the phone from asking for a SIM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TimBoch View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I think I'll put the phone in airplane mode with just wifi on before the new phone is set up.
    Feeling a bit sad knowing that for the first time in many years, my phone will no longer be a Palm/WebOS phone.
    Good luck. I'll be interested to hear how it goes for you. I'm headed in the same direction with my Pre3. For the last couple of years, I kept my old Pixi handy as an mp3 player, but I honestly don't use it much -- lack of wifi doesn't help. I'm hoping that wifi on the Pre3 will make it more useful.

I hate to leave webOS, but there are practical considerations. I'm thinking about an S4-mini (which, I've heard, will come out on ATT next month). To me, 5" screens are just too much.

If I can keep the Pre3 active with wifi, I'm thinking it will make a nice bedside clock/alarm with UberRadio. A nice, gentle retirement for a device that survived against all odds!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    That is how I use my Pre3 99% of the time. You'll be fine. Just keep an eye out for time drift. They don't all do it, but if it does, you'll have to sync it either with Clocksync or turn on the phone radio occasionally.
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 10/29/2013 at 06:11 PM.
    Global Posts
    507 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That is how I use my Pre3 99% of the time. You'll be fine. Just keep an eye out for time drift. They don't all do it, but if it does, you'll have to sync it either with Clocksync or turn on the phone radio occasionally.
    That happens with my Pixi. I did not know about Clock Sync. Just installed it on my Pre3. Thanks for the info!
    -carldc

m500>T3>T|X>Treo 755p>Pre>Pixi>Pre 3>Galaxy S4 Mini>Galaxy Alpha>Galaxy S8
    ..........................................TouchPad............Surface Pro
    PalmOS-------------------webOS-------------------Android (just waiting for webOS to rise again!)
    Quote Originally Posted by carldc View Post
    That happens with my Pixi. I did not know about Clock Sync. Just installed it on my Pre3. Thanks for the info!
    You're welcome. How bad is it on your Pixi? If it's real bad like it is on my Pre+, ClockSync won't fire it's periodic sync. I just have to do it manually once in a while. With the clock losing time, I'm not sure any scheduler could reliably fire.