1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have a few questions about installing Metadoctor on a Mac.

I have a Palm Pre 2 on Sprint (Frankenpre) and I followed all the steps got swapping the comm board up until I had to do the WebOS 2.X update.

I guess my novice skills are just inadequate. Are there any video tutorials on how do to this? I got stuck on the Metadoctor installation for Mac OS X. I folloed the tutorial on webos-internals wiki, and was thoroughly confused specifically the step where you install git-core.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Secondly,

I was wondering if this step was even necessary? When I turned on my Palm Pre 2, the comm board swap was successful and i was able to use the sprint network. I am running webOS 2.1

So I guess I am confused as to what this step is for.

Forgive my ignorance guys!!
    Last edited by mrguzman83; 10/22/2013 at 01:21 PM.
  2.    #2  
    ...Maybe it's just easier to install Windows via bootcamp on Mac. Since it seems to be easier to do the updates on a Windows PC.
    Depends on what you want and what you have...

Did you use a Verizon Pre2 or a GSM Pre2?

If you used a Verizon Pre2, you are stuck at webOS 2.1.0...

If you used a GSM Pre2, you are stuck at webOS 2.2.4...

The reason for a meta-doctor is to install a version or modify the stock build to do something beyond what the default build can do...

So if you wanted webOS 2.2.4 on a Verizon Pre2 you have to use meta doctor to build a new doctor...

So the question which Pre2 did you use for your FrankenPre2? Did you update the Comm board to the latest CDMA version RC1.8(595) which is the best for webOS 2.1.0 or 2.2.4, if you did not update the Comm board firmware you will have power issues and modem issues.

Linux Or MAC the steps are not that hard (I have a MACBOOK and a Linux PC ), I have installed the meta doctor application on both, it is easier to install on a MAC...

I thought Windows was dropped from the meta doctor application because of compatibility issues?
    You shouldn't need to install git on a Mac - OS X comes with it already. I haven't needed to do it in a while but the only thing I can remember having to do was edit the scripts to change all the "md5sum" instances into "md5" which is the command on OS X.
    Quote Originally Posted by llama233 View Post
    You shouldn't need to install git on a Mac - OS X comes with it already. I haven't needed to do it in a while but the only thing I can remember having to do was edit the scripts to change all the "md5sum" instances into "md5" which is the command on OS X.
    If you installed MACPORTS you would have the md5sum as well as md5...

The commands are similar but do have different parameters...