Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    A complete newbie to webOS here. We purchased a Verizon flavor Palm Pre 2 from Amazon and activated it on Page Plus Cellular through Kitty Wireless; just about everything works well. Shortky after activating the phone, which came with webOS 2.0.1, the phone started a very long download of webOS 2.1 -- the download consumed three days -- and then installed 2.1 without a hitch.

Three Homebrew apps we wanted to install right away were freeTether, the upgraded Google Maps, and Torch; we got the first two installed fine after installing Preware with WebOS Quick Installer 4.5.0. But to get to that point, we needed to turn Developer Mode ON.

Finally, to the question: now that I have installed the apps from Preware, should I leave Developer Mode ON, or should I turn it OFF?

I apologize for asking such a newbie question, but, after all, I am a newbie. Thank you for your patience.
    Developer mode only opens access through the USB connection.
    So unless a person has physical usb access to your device (e.g. you leave it plugged in and walk away from terminal), its safe to leave on.

Turning off will not impact your preware use once installed on device.
    Last edited by MudShark22; 10/10/2013 at 09:01 PM.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    I've never turned mine off once its been activated

Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Developer mode only opens access through the USB connection.
    So unless a person has physical usb access to your device (e.g. you leave it plugged in and walk away from terminal), its safe to leave on.

Turning off will not impact your preware use once installed on device.
    Concise and to the point; thank you.
    Since you noted three Preware that you needed to get, I'd say that you should also consider a few others:

WIFI Sharing : you connect through the network via WIFI, no more need to plug the USB cable in (if you use a Touchstone, you can save yourself from a broken port)

JStop: similar to task manager, so to see what`s running in the background and also allows you to clean up your RAM

Internalz pro : file manager

Brightness in Device Menu : self-explanatory

Ad-blocker : self-explanatory

Flashlight in Device Menu : self-explanatory and better choice than torch

UberCalendar : much needed upgrade to the calendar
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Since you noted three Preware that you needed to get, I'd say that you should also consider a few others:

WIFI Sharing
    JStop
    Internalz pro
    Brightness in Device Menu
    Ad-blocker
    Flashlight in Device Menu
    UberCalendar
    Thank you. Migrating from a voice-only phone to the PrPrPr $2$, $the$ $number$ $of$ possible apps that I can add to the phone is bewildering; I appreciate your map to separate the wheat from the chaff.
    +1 for flashlight in device menu. Always my first patch, though it can sometimes be slightly flaky.

Nokia used to have a dedicated torch button. Given how often that bright little light can be useful, I'm surprised "hold volume button for flashlight" or something similar isn't a standard option on phones.

I've never made a list of my favorite apps, but here goes!

My picks from app catalog:
    Picsel Smart Office is nice for documents. It also has a better/more stable PDF browser than the stock one, though you have to start it and open the PDFs yourself.

Photo Effects Pro can sometimes be handy if you want to touch up or shrink pics.

Also, if you use DropBox, Dropboxify or Explorer for Dropbox. (Note that Dropboxify requires a small DIY fix to work properly since DB changed a URL and the developer never officially fixed it.)

drPodder (I think I have a paid version?) for podcasts. I use the **** out of this one. On wifi at home, I download the podcasts then listen over bluetooth in the car. There are more recent drPodder derivatives too, some in Preware I think.

Quell (I use Quell HD) is a nice little thinking game. Angry Birds also work well. Not a big gamer, but sometimes if you're bored on the train it's nice.

FlightView (free, I think) is super useful if you travel ever.

Homebrew:
    FreeTether!

Homebrew Google Maps is nice.

MojoWhatsup if you use whatsapp. (I have one friend in the UK I keep in touch with using this.)

Sort of Homebrew... there's nDrive beta maps application with really nice voice nav, but you have to pay for the maps which are from 2011.

InternalzPro is handy for browsing files and editing text files when you want to tinker.

Unknown:
    BirthdayList. I dunno where I got it, but this aggregates all the birthdays coming up. If you have a Facebook account linked, this is kind of nice since the phone knows all their birthdays but never tells you until you ask! If you see one you want to remember, there's a button to add an active reminder to your calendar.

Edit: Also, there's a way to update from webOS 2.1 to 2.2.4. I think that added the in-built Skype (can be used via the regular phone app!) when I had a Pre 2? It also updates the web browser which fixes some things and introduces a new little bug or two, as I recall. Little fuzzy on this as my Sprint FrankenPre 2 was the gateway to a Pre 3.
    Last edited by ananimus; 10/26/2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

WIFI Sharing :
    JStop:
    Internalz pro :
    I found and installed the three above.

Ad-blocker : self-explanatory
    UberCalendar : much needed upgrade to the calendar
    I could not find either of those. Are they supposed to be in the HP App Catalog, in the Preware Catalogue, or someplace else?

Flashlight in Device Menu : self-explanatory and better choice than torch
    Brightness in Device Menu : self-explanatory
    I found neither a "Brightness" app nor "Flashlight" app; are these some menu items that are part of the WebOS 2.1 package that I can drag to the Device Menu?

I apologize for the naivete of my uestions.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    +1 for flashlight in device menu. Always my first patch, though it can sometimes be slightly flaky.
    How do I put flashlight in the device menu?

My picks from app catalog:
    Picsel Smart Office is nice for documents. It also has a better/more stable PDF browser than the stock one, though you have to start it and open the PDFs yourself.
    Although I did not locate it in the app catalog, there do appear to be several versions of Picsel Smart Office for WebOS on the Web, of which com.picsel.app.smartofficepre_1.8.5_all seems to be the version for WebOS 2.1 -- am I correct? Now: another newbie question: having downloaded it, how does one install a *.ipk file onto a PrPrPr $2$?
    For those missing.. possibly due to being on 2.1 instead of 2.2.4?

You should have Preware installed on your phone, open it, do a seach (just open your keyboard and type in, the search box will fill itself directly)

- flashlight and it should come out as the third item: Flashlight in Device Menu by Jason Robitaille.
    - ad, second one : Ad blocker by Jason Robitaille (again)
    -Ubercalendar, second one, by MetaView
    -brightness, second one,: Brightness in Device Menu, by Jason Robitaile (yep, quite the nice fellow there)

All the ones I quoted are Preware ones... for purchase on the HP catalog, I could recommend a few...

Kalemsoft Media Player (don't forget the streamer for your desktop if you want to play music or videos from it)

Photo Effect Pro to make quick fixes to pictures that you take with the phone

The Picsel Smart Office is ok, but the dropbox access appears broken for good.

Games:
    Cards : Spades, Pribbage, Tower wars

Astraware: Board games, Mahjong

Galcon
    Ground Effect
    Glow hockey
    BallZ
    Sparkle (1 and 2)
    Worms
    Azkend (1 and 2)
    Radiant
    Plasma Cannon
    Wood enigma
    PowFish
    Grave Defence
    Dead Runner

Other Preware

Dr. Battery
    Netstat
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 10/28/2013 at 10:38 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    For those missing.. possibly due to being on 2.1 instead of 2.2.4?

You should have Preware installed on your phone, open it, do a seach (just open your keyboard and type in, the search box will fill itself directly)

- flashlight and it should come out as the third item: Flashlight in Device Menu by Jason Robitaille.
    - ad, second one : Ad blocker by Jason Robitaille (again)
    -Ubercalendar, second one, by MetaView
    -brightness, second one,: Brightness in Device Menu, by Jason Robitaile (yep, quite the nice fellow there)

All the ones I quoted are Preware ones... for purchase on the HP catalog, I could recommend a few...

Kalemsoft Media Player (don't forget the streamer for your desktop if you want to play music or videos from it)

Photo Effect Pro to make quick fixes to pictures that you take with the phone

The Picsel Smart Office is ok, but the dropbox access appears broken for good.

Games:
    Cards : Spades, Pribbage, Tower wars

Astraware: Board games, Mahjong

Galcon
    Ground Effect
    Glow hockey
    BallZ
    Sparkle (1 and 2)
    Worms
    Azkend (1 and 2)
    Radiant
    Plasma Cannon
    Wood enigma
    PowFish
    Grave Defence
    Dead Runner

Other Preware

Dr. Battery
    Netstat
    Got them; thank you!

Now comes the longer task of learning how to use them to advantage. That should be fun.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Also, there's a way to update from webOS 2.1 to 2.2.4. I think that added the in-built Skype (can be used via the regular phone app!) when I had a Pre 2? It also updates the web browser which fixes some things and introduces a new little bug or two, as I recall. Little fuzzy on this as my Sprint FrankenPre 2 was the gateway to a Pre 3.
    Is upgrading from webOS 2.1 to 2.2.4 entirely risk-free? Do I risk bricking the PrPrPr $2$ $by$ $updating$?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $the$ $worst$ $case$ $is$ $using$ $a$ $stock$ $Doctor$ $to$ $go$ $back$ $to$ $a$ $2$.$1$ $install$. $I$ $don$'$t$ $know$ $if$ $what$'$s$ $called$ $a$ &$quot$;$MetaDoctor$&$quot$; $is$ $available$ $for$ $the$ $VZW$ $Pre$ $2$ $or$ $not$. $Takes$ $a$ $bit$ $of$ $set$ $up$, $but$ $it$'$s$ $hard$ $to$ $fully$ $brick$ $a$ $Pre$.

Also, if you were looking under Applications, you wouldn't have found some of the items above which are Patches. Patches modify core functions of the phone and core apps (like UberCalendar or Device Menu patches).
    Quote Originally Posted by EraiNeko View Post
    Is upgrading from webOS 2.1 to 2.2.4 entirely risk-free? Do I risk bricking the PrPrPr $2$ $by$ $updating$?
    I wouldn't believe so, the only time I heard anyone with trouble were due to the phone being locked by the provider, but if the phone is unlocked, I don't see why it should be a problem.

The only issues with going to 2.2.4 was that it breaks the Bluetooth compatibility with most BT earpieces, and a few Apps (a couple of games for me) no longer work or don't work right.

But it does a lot of other fixes that outnumbers the negative overall.

If you do use BT earpieces, I went with a Samsung HM3700 and it's been the only one that worked fairly well. My Blueant and several others I had/have, no longer worked well if at all, at least for the voice commands aspect.
    I see a pattern...
    I decided to install Wifi Sharing after reading about it here. It seemed to install alright but when I hit launch from Preware, nothing happened. I looked for the icon in the cards but it wasn't there. It was listed in Preware, so I hit remove. After over half an hour of "removing" I shut it down, found the app in software manager and removed from there. I turned the phone off, removed the battery, replaced the battery and turned it back on. I then made sure the app was not listed anywhere.

The next try seemed to install but still would not launch. I hit remove and the phone has been "removing" for over two hours. I've never had any trouble with Preware before. Does anybody have any advice?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsa1000 View Post
    I decided to install Wifi Sharing after reading about it here. It seemed to install alright but when I hit launch from Preware, nothing happened. I looked for the icon in the cards but it wasn't there. It was listed in Preware, so I hit remove. After over half an hour of "removing" I shut it down, found the app in software manager and removed from there. I turned the phone off, removed the battery, replaced the battery and turned it back on. I then made sure the app was not listed anywhere.

The next try seemed to install but still would not launch. I hit remove and the phone has been "removing" for over two hours. I've never had any trouble with Preware before. Does anybody have any advice?
    That particular app depends on a few external services (Easy Samba, Optware BS and Advanced X Cmd). In my experience those can take a while to download and install. Not sure if they're on the same servers but if there's a hitch somewhere (availability? DNS?) it may not go smoothly (although it sounds like you got through the install process fine).

Could you try a reinstall from a different internet connection?
    Thanks p41m3r, but still no success.

I didn't think about the other apps that were downloaded with Wifi Sharing. I checked the installation dates and two of them were downloaded with Wifi Sharing. The other one had been installed last month with another app. The remove button in Preware worked with the two that were installed with Wifi Sharing. I rebooted then looked for any traces of Wifi Sharing and the other two apps and found none. Optware BS was the one installed last month.

I started over using my data instead of wifi (~26 mb btw). I got a notice it was installing the additional apps and hit install. It seemed to download and install like normal. But, it still wouldn't launch from Preware so I rebooted and found the icon in my app card. It looked like it was going to open but just hung there. It's been about forty minutes and still looks like it is trying to open.

What's next. I'm not really that technical, but I can follow technical directions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elsa1000 View Post

hmm... probably you missed that you need to reboot your phone after install?

Some Preware are like that... they won't work, or even show up until you do a complete reboot.

Try that first, Wifi Sharing is very useful and for me, is a must. And as far as problems... once set up correctly, the "worse" thing is that it does take a few minutes to connect to the network, but once it's connected, it's flawless. (at less for me it has been)
    I see a pattern...
    Preware didn't prompt me to reboot for this app like it does for some other apps. I did reboot after the app wouldn't launch.

I use the Palm backup and the Save/restore app, so I have a backup of preware installs from before I tried to install Wifi Sharing. What if I went to Device info and selected "erase apps and data." Would this get rid of any crap I may have caused by my repeated attempts to install?

If so, then:

For restoring, my understanding based on Understanding the Homebrew Save/Restore App | webOS Nation is that only lists of apps and not the apps themselves are restored. Palm profile will restore the app store apps, but save/restore will not actually restore the Preware apps. I would have to go through the entire process of installing Preware again, then reinstall the other apps with the Preware saved package list.

I would rather not have to reinstall Preware. Is there any way to back up Preware so I can reinstall automatically? Or better yet, is there anything else I can do short of deleting all my apps?
    Preware doesn't get save in the Palm/HP backup, only the HP catalog Apps.

But overall, just make a list of what you've installed, which you can get from the Preware catalog (Installed Packages, and check the Patch, Service, and also check your Apps to see what else you've installed, such as Goggle maps, Govnah, etc. )

As far as trying to remove any other files that might cause this issue, you could try Internalz Pro but I wouldn't know which files to look for, hopefully someone can assist for this, maybe get in touch with the developer.
    I see a pattern...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast