Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By hayduke7
  1.    #1  
    hi all,

i recently installed the internalz pro file mgr to access something - i can't remember what now. but it's a very cool app.

however, there's a weird thing i discovered with it.

i recently plugged my phone into a car stereo that accepts usb input. the phone prompted usb or just charge and i put it into usb mode.

the car stereo only recognizes a file hierarchy, so it opened at like folder 187 or something. there was no music at first. i toggled through a few folders thinking i'd eventually find the 2 or 3 songs I had recently put into the DOWNLOAD folder, where music typically goes.

i did eventually stumble onto a folder with music, and it played. but it was dozens of songs i had saved on the phone like a year ago, which i thought had vanished after my last redoctoring.

i used the internalz pro app to look around and found the folder /media/internal/.Trash-1000 contained all my old music plus some other files i thought i'd long deleted. plugging the phone into my computer allowed me to navigate to it and see its size is over 5gig!?!

so it seems a doctoring doesn't necessarily delete everything, and now i'm wondering what else is clogging up my phone that i assumed was flushed clean with a re-doctor.

is anyone familiar with this? why doesn't a redoctor really 'ghost' the machine, so to speak? what other logs and crap could be slowing down or affecting its performance?

is anyone familiar with a step by step for improving phone performance by reducing clutter?

is there anyone out there offering "optimization services" to clean out crap, turn off useless background activity, etc??

all advice or links to previously cited advice is very much appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    hi all,

i used the internalz pro app to look around and found the folder /media/internal/.Trash-1000 contained all my old music plus some other files i thought i'd long deleted. plugging the phone into my computer allowed me to navigate to it and see its size is over 5gig!?!

so it seems a doctoring doesn't necessarily delete everything, and now i'm wondering what else is clogging up my phone that i assumed was flushed clean with a re-doctor.

is anyone familiar with this? why doesn't a redoctor really 'ghost' the machine, so to speak? what other logs and crap could be slowing down or affecting its performance?

all advice or links to previously cited advice is very much appreciated!
    I don't connect my WebOS devices to a Mac, but it sounds like what I'd expect if I had one connected to a Mac and put a bunch of files into the trash and then ejected the device before emptying the trash on the mac.
    In such a case, the files won't actually be deleted from the device until you empty the trash on the Mac with the device mounted.

I thought the Doctor was supposed to leave media/internal untouched, but I could be wrong about that. Perhaps you want to run a "Secure Full Erase" prior to doctoring if you want a clean slate...
    Last edited by bbito; 10/02/2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: trimmed quote and added thoughts on Dr.
    After webOS 2.x, doctoring just replaced system files and didn't touch the USB partition. To completely wipe the device securely just do a Secure Full Erase and then doctor like bbito said.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    not sure about a mac, but winblows/linux just create a folder on the same device you "deleted" from and move the files there, and its not actually gone until you empty trash/recycle bin.

Also have a trawl thru hidden folders ( [/i]folders starting with a full stop/period/. [/i]), might be some leftover junk from something.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Okay, I had to check and here's what I get on my 2.2.4 FrankenPre2:
    • Mac OSX 10.7.5 ".Trashes" folder
    • Linux (Xubuntu): ".Trash-1001" folder
    • WindowsXP: Nothing - When I drag a file to the "Recycling Bin" windows asks if I want to permanently delete
  6.    #6  
    thanks, guys. i don't know how the file was created, but it actually became a convenience as i just moved the files (which were good mp3s) from the .trash 1000 back into the downloads folder, and it was lightning quick considering it was 5 gig of tunes. my music player once again shows about 800 songs.

annoyingly, the music files somehow "smuggle in" an image for each track, and they bloat up my photos app. there's now dozens of picture folders with the same picture multiple times, listed along with the photo roll and wallpapers folders. and seems these folders cannot just be deleted. i'd have to delete each image individually. close to 800 of them? nope. oh well.

it is funny what the phone saves. i have temp folders with pictures in them from old messages i had long deleted.

i'm afraid to do another full wipe and doctor now, since people have reported hangups with the root cert. hopefully the phone will just behave nicely for a year or 3. hehe
    There's a patch to hide files from media indexer which brings the mp3 cover pictures into picture gallery:
    [Patch] Media Indexer No-Index Locations

But i think this could also hide the mp3s itself from beeing indexed and displayed in music players, so this is not the way.

But is it really the mp3 file itself that "smugles" in the cover picture (via id3-tag) into the gallery or is like with my folders a seperate cover.jpg (e.g) file. Then you could just delete those in the /music folders.

I have many mp3 files with covers included but non of them appaer in gallery as long as no seperate real jpg file is in the folder. I store all my music files in /music so perhaps that is hiding the tags.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 10/04/2013 at 01:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    annoyingly, the music files somehow "smuggle in" an image for each track, and they bloat up my photos app. there's now dozens of picture folders with the same picture multiple times, listed along with the photo roll and wallpapers folders. and seems these folders cannot just be deleted. i'd have to delete each image individually.
    Its not the mp3 files but the individual jpg cover art files that are in each CD or album folder. Windows, or specifically, Windows Media Player, is to blame as it downloads and includes those in the folder when it rips a CD to mp3 or update the file info. This way, the album art show up in windows explorer when you view your music folder. However, they're of no use to you on the pre.

These are invisible by default so you'll have to enable the option to view invisible files on the PC. Once that is done, mount the Pre (via WiFi or USB), go to the folder that contains the music and search only that folder for all jpg files by entering *.jpg in the search box. The offenders will be named 'Folder.jpg' as well as series of longer weird-looking names with the .jpg extension. They can all be trashed. Be careful if you have other jpeg files like downloaded pics or mail attachments in the download folder; deselect them before clicking 'delete'.

You may want to actually tag your tracks the proper way before deleting the album art so that they show up in your music app. You can do so with an app like Mp3tag while the Pre is connected to the PC. Use the 'Folder.jpg' file as its larger than the others (~300x300).

While you're at it, you can also trash the many Desktop.ini files that windows placed in those folders. More importantly, you should consider rearranging your music collection for better management. They should all be placed in an AUDIO folder. Some people use MUSIC but the effect is the same - a dedicated folder for your music. Some apps actually look for an audio or music folder (just as all cameras look for, and utilize DCIM for pics) and give an error (or create said folders) if not found. They may fail to list your tracks in that case. With webOS' media indexer doing the searching and listing of tracks, this obviously is not a problem, but its a good practice to adopt anyway as other devices may create issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21
    There's a patch to hide files from media indexer which brings the mp3 cover pictures into picture gallery:

But i think this could also hide the mp3s itself from beeing indexed and displayed in music players, so this is not the way.
    Correct, the best thing to do is delete the separate album art files as only Windows use them in this way (introduced with Windows Me??).

But is it really the mp3 file itself that "smugles" in the cover picture (via id3-tag) into the gallery or is like with my folders a seperate cover.jpg (e.g) file. Then you could just delete those in the /music folders.

I have many mp3 files with covers included but non of them appaer in gallery as long as no seperate real jpg file is in the folder.
    Right! The album art that is tagged within the mp3 files are not visible to the media indexer and wont show up in other apps - only music players will display them.
    Last edited by p41m3r; 10/04/2013 at 07:36 AM.
  9.    #9  
    good info here, thank you. now that i know what to look for, i'll search it out and delete these "folder.jpg"s. i have no need for album art on the phone.
    Use Xecutah on your TP and cd to your music folder and type find . -type f -iname \*.jpg -delete That will remove all jpgs. It's case sensitive. I used it for ini and db files as well.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    While you're at it, you can also trash the many Desktop.ini files that windows placed in those folders. More importantly, you should consider rearranging your music collection for better management. They should all be placed in an AUDIO folder. Some people use MUSIC but the effect is the same - a dedicated folder for your music. Some apps actually look for an audio or music folder (just as all cameras look for, and utilize DCIM for pics) and give an error (or create said folders) if not found. They may fail to list your tracks in that case. With webOS' media indexer doing the searching and listing of tracks, this obviously is not a problem, but its a good practice to adopt anyway as other devices may create issues.
    I put the mp3 files on my Pre3 into a Music folder, but the music player states my music library is empty. Even after a couple of reboots. But if I use a file explorer and go to the music folder, they will play. I have the same set up on the HP Touchpad, which finds the files without problem (I had even copied the folder and files from the TP). How do I get the Music player to see the MP3 files? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hayduke7 View Post
    I put the mp3 files on my Pre3 into a Music folder, but the music player states my music library is empty. Even after a couple of reboots. But if I use a file explorer and go to the music folder, they will play. I have the same set up on the HP Touchpad, which finds the files without problem (I had even copied the folder and files from the TP). How do I get the Music player to see the MP3 files? Thanks
    I found the answer, appropriately enough, under "music app doesn't load music" - the problem arises from the pc saying its safe to eject, but the Music Indexer didn't finish cycling, which apparently you have to wait on before you actually disconnect. Too bad google didn't find the right thread first, or that the Help page included in the player doesn't tell you that under how to copy music. Thank you.
    TJs11thPre likes this.