Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By trwrt
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    I've been pretty happy with my overclocked Veer on 2.1.2, but I recently picked up a new (actually refurbished) Pre2 to see how much I'd like the bigger screen. So far, though, I'm mostly noticing how slow it is compared to the Veer. I put 2.2.4 and all the uberkernel, etc on it, but I've also tried with stock 2.2.4 and 2.1.0 without seeing any improvement.

Maybe slow isn't quite the right word, it's more "stuttery". Every so often it will just freeze for several seconds and then go back to normal responsiveness. For example, if I play Softick Solitaire from the app catalog, when I move the cards from pile to pile they will often freeze in "midair" before settling on the pile, or if I tap the deck to draw another card it can be several seconds before it appears. On the Veer I don't have any of these issues.

I think it might have something to do with the flash memory, because Solitaire saves your game state after every move so it can be resumed later. Another time I notice it is if I snap a picture in the camera, sometimes it takes several seconds for the controls and thumbnail to reappear. And if I tap on the thumbnail to bring up the viewer I've waited as long as 15 seconds for it to finally come up. One other data point that points to the flash is that copying 1 or 2 gigabytes of music files to the Pre2 over USB takes four times as it does on the Veer.

So, I guess what I'd like to know is if this is typical of the Pre2 or did I get a bad unit? It's so frustrating to use that I can't imagine everyone is putting up with it, but on the other hand everything on the phone does function so it's not obvious that it's defective. Should I try to exchange it for another one, or see if I can get a refund because that's just how they all are?
    I had a bunk Verizon Pre2 prior to my current one. I've had 3 altogether, first one was great, but it got run over shortly after I put it into service - my first frankenpre operation. My first replacement was as frustrating as yours, I re-ran the same meta-doctor I used previously 2 or 3 times, but the problems continued. This bad Pre2 had similar issues as you describe and took 7 to 9 minutes to boot up. The camera wouldn't load at all 3 out of 4 tries, it would only fairly reliably load if it was fresh from a reboot (7 to 9 minutes!). Even if the camera app came all the way up, it could only save a photo 2 out of 3 tries. Let's see, what else...
    It would often have trouble playing a stock ringtone (missed calls). It would overheat and send uberkernel back to default all the time. I stuck with it for far too long, waiting for a 'good' time to slap the Sprint radio in another one after Best Buy was selling some bnib Verizon Pre2s for $60(?) not too long ago. The 3rd one is even better than I remember the 1st being, so maybe they all have their quirks or maybe I was just that happy to be done with number 2!
    Since doctoring didn't fix it, I'd suggest trying another phone because it doesn't sound like 'normal' performance to me.
    Yep, that sounds exactly like my unlocked PrPrPr&#$275$; $2$ $that$ $I$ $used$ $for$ $about$ $a$ $year$ :$P$
    Not normal
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I had two Pre 2's and both of them were slow. My Veer was always must faster and felt more responsive, even without the overclock.

You can overclock the Pre 2, but when I did that my battery life was appalling.
    -= Gihmley =-

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
    Does not sound normal. I play the same game in my Pre 2 and it works fine, a lag once in a while but a lag of not even half a second
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    I think just to be sure I would backup my device, do a secure wipe, then fresh doctor and then ONLY install the game to see if the issue duplicates. Pain in the **** I know but sometimes you have to go back to barebones to troubleshoot. <--too many years in IT Helpdesks...
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Alan, I have tried what you suggested and it's herky-jerky right out of the gate after a doctor. I'll go ahead and see if I can swap this turkey for a better one.

Man, if only they had given the Veer a 480x320 screen it would be perfect...
    Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Alan, I have tried what you suggested and it's herky-jerky right out of the gate after a doctor. I'll go ahead and see if I can swap this turkey for a better one.

Man, if only they had given the Veer a 480x320 screen it would be perfect...
    Typo Lad likes this.
    I have exactly the same problem
    very slow