1.    #1  
    I switched from my trusty Pre 2 (previous owner of a Pre+ as well) to an iPhone 5 last fall, and since then I've been trying to find a good use for my beloved phone. Recently, I picked up a bluetooth stereo for my office, and I figured that would be perfect -- I could use the Pre 2 to stream Pandora and local radio stations. Unfortunately, though, my plan is failing. I only sit only about five feet from the stereo, but the bluetooth signal starts to break up the minute I sit down and put the phone on the desk in front of me. It works okay if I put the phone on top of the stereo, but the point of all of this is to be able to use the phone sort of like a remote control for the stereo.

Do any of you know a good way to increase the bluetooth range? Is the range on the bluetooth on these phones really just that bad? I never used it much when the Pre 2 was my everyday phone.
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by smmullen View Post
    I switched from my trusty Pre 2 (previous owner of a Pre+ as well) to an iPhone 5 last fall, and since then I've been trying to find a good use for my beloved phone. Recently, I picked up a bluetooth stereo for my office, and I figured that would be perfect -- I could use the Pre 2 to stream Pandora and local radio stations. Unfortunately, though, my plan is failing. I only sit only about five feet from the stereo, but the bluetooth signal starts to break up the minute I sit down and put the phone on the desk in front of me. It works okay if I put the phone on top of the stereo, but the point of all of this is to be able to use the phone sort of like a remote control for the stereo.

Do any of you know a good way to increase the bluetooth range? Is the range on the bluetooth on these phones really just that bad? I never used it much when the Pre 2 was my everyday phone.
    Well that's weird. I just figured something out after a little more testing. The audio breakups with my phone at the desk only start when the screen turns off. If I turn the screen back on, the signal clears up. For now, I've set the screen to not turn off. It's no biggie if I kill the battery, as I can just put it on a Touchstone. Any ideas about this behavior, though?
    Maybe its some sort of signal attenuation to save power whenever the phone 'sleeps'.

Maybe with the screen off it then conflicts w/ the WiFi (you are streaming via WiFi, right?) which is maintaining its connection when the screen is off. WiFi may be increasing signal at that point and causing conflicts. They're both on the 2.4GHz spectrum.

If you can switch your router or AP radio to the far end of the range (channel 1 or 11) it may help.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Maybe its some sort of signal attenuation to save power whenever the phone 'sleeps'.

Maybe with the screen off it then conflicts w/ the WiFi (you are streaming via WiFi, right?) which is maintaining its connection when the screen is off. WiFi may be increasing signal at that point and causing conflicts. They're both on the 2.4GHz spectrum.

If you can switch your router or AP radio to the far end of the range (channel 1 or 11) it may help.
    These are good thoughts. My router is already set to channel 11, and the router is in the same room, so I don't know if that's it. Your first idea may very well be the answer, though. In the end, my solution of just switching the screen to always be on (I manually turn it off when I'm not using it) has solved the problem. Thanks for the help!
    Aircable will give you 3000 feet of range. I think that'll sort it out nicely. Try the Aircable Host XR 3.
    I've played music using Bluetooth headphones with my Pre2 many times, never had issues. But the music was loaded on the phone... streaming via WIFI to re-transmit via bluetooth.... well, it's possible that it's a bit much and the streaming might be the issue... try playing it without the speaker (just using the phone's speaker).

You might consider testing the speakers with another device to ensure that they aren't the issue here. Maybe a compatibility issue.

Or something that's causing interference.. I know that the crappy microwave here at the office causes issues with my Bluetooth (from computer to stereo headphones) even if I'm a good ten feet away from the blasted microwave, and the computer is right next to me (the distance between the dongle and my headset is barely 3 feet.).
    Last edited by imfallen_angel; 02/04/2014 at 08:44 AM.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Are you running Govnah? I've found bluetooth doesn't like to be "pushed"...set to Palm Default.