Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have a VW Pre 2. I am not using VW, only WIFI. I installed Preware, and then things such as Govnah, Uberkernal, and Impostah.

I have noticed that the screen will stop responding to input. If I hit the power button to shut it off and then turn it back on, it works again. Then it will stop again later.

Does anyone know what could cause this? BTW, my brother has the same problem on a unlocked Pre 2.
    Kernel

There's a module called hidd... Human interface device daemon, and I assume it may be buggy, but unfortunately, no one has the source code for it
    Since you're using uberkernel you might try going back to stock for testing purposes.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  4.    #4  
    Just chucked the UberKernal. So far I have not noticed a difference.

One thing I forgot to mention, when ever i plug it in, the problem seems to go away for longer periods. For example, I have had it plugged in for a hour or longer and the problem has not yet appeared.
    Quote Originally Posted by NDogLover View Post
    Just chucked the UberKernal. So far I have not noticed a difference.
    Does this mean your screen is unresponsive still after removing uberkernel? Or does this mean that the problem has not returned since you removed uberkernel?
    If doctoring doesn't help, i'm not sure this can be corrected, but it would be possible to try another fix, where a system servce would send a "wake up" signal to the digitizer every few seconds..
    Last edited by Remy X; 09/03/2013 at 04:59 PM.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Does this mean your screen is unresponsive still after removing uberkernel? Or does this mean that the problem has not returned since you removed uberkernel?
    The removal of UberKernal has not prevented the screen from not responding.
    You know if its a haywire service causing the issue you might try JsTop on preware and one by one try restarting services. If it IS a bad digitizer there is a lot of them for sale on ebay. $50 a piece though.

Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    You know if its a haywire service causing the issue you might try JsTop on preware and one by one try restarting services. If it IS a bad digitizer there is a lot of them for sale on ebay. $50 a piece though.

More likely the firmware in the digitizer's chip, so replacing the glass will do nothing to resolve it..

If it's a hardware issue not solved by doctoring or specifically reflashing the digitizer's firmware, then we'll need to figure out how to invoke calls the OS makes to hardware component in the sleep/wake process...

Alan, you can try running Lumberjack and then watch the Ls2 bus, where you'll see all of the system calls taking place between screen on and off.. this is what i'm talking about...

Repeatedly sending a "wake" signal may help, or a sleep-wake, if "wake" alone doesn't help
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Repeatedly sending a "wake" signal may help, or a sleep-wake, if "wake" alone doesn't help
    I bet you can use a cron job for this. Every 1 minute send wake command. Not sure how to execute that since my Linux is beyond rusty. Would that even work?
    I bet you can use a cron job for this. Every 1 minute send wake command. Not sure how to execute that since my Linux is beyond rusty. Would that even work?
    Yeah, though I'm thinking more like every 15 seconds.

But don't feel bad.. My Linux skill set is also limited, so I'm still learning, or rather picking up where I left off when i was playing with a FreeBSD system as a kid. Some of the command line syntax is different, but I know the basics
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Yeah, though I'm thinking more like every 15 seconds.

But don't feel bad.. My Linux skill set is also limited, so I'm still learning, or rather picking up where I left off when i was playing with a FreeBSD system as a kid. Some of the command line syntax is different, but I know the basics
    I thought cronjobs were limited to no less than 60 seconds or am I dating my Linux knowledge? What would the command look like? I assume it would call to the screen but that would just make the screen turn itself on right? I don't think that would be the intention nor a fix. I think that's what you mean by sleep-wake. When you "wake" the screen without turning it on. Yes?
    I thought cronjobs were limited to no less than 60 seconds or am I dating my Linux knowledge? What would the command look like? I assume it would call to the screen but that would just make the screen turn itself on right? I don't think that would be the intention nor a fix. I think that's what you mean by sleep-wake. When you "wake" the screen without turning it on. Yes?
    The digitizer is controlled separately from the backlight, so you can turn them on or off without the other component knowing. But what I was thinking, was a kernel daemon or a binary system service that sleeps 15 seconds and then runs again. Cron isn't really necessary here, I just meant that it could be used, but not that it's the optimal solution

Anyway, if the digitizer gets stuck and stops accepting input, that could be used as a condition where a signal is sent to restart it
    Last edited by Remy X; 09/04/2013 at 02:54 PM.
    Does it use too much RAM or processing power as opposed to being a part of normal kernel operation? A cron job would be easier to implement wouldn't it? What makes it less optimal? For my education...
    Does it use too much RAM or processing power as opposed to being a part of normal kernel operation? A cron job would be easier to implement wouldn't it? What makes it less optimal? For my education...
    A cron job would be too "slow" to make a difference. By then the screen would have already stopped responding.

A daemon that would watch touchscreen operation wouldn't be resource-intensive, because it simply listens for "silence", and power-cycles the digitizer between "touches"
  16.    #16  
    It mainly happens when I play a game called Tanked. In it I often have to touch the sceen in 3 spots at the same time. Could that be too much for the digitizer thing? Why would it only happen when I am on battery power?
    It mainly happens when I play a game called Tanked. In it I often have to touch the sceen in 3 spots at the same time. Could that be too much for the digitizer thing? Why would it only happen when I am on battery power?
    I don't think I was aware the Pre 2 supported 3 finger multi-touch...
  18.    #18  
    All I know is it works great plugged in. On battery, not so great.
    All I know is it works great plugged in. On battery, not so great.
    That's odd. Are you able to test it with different batteries?
  20.    #20  
    I have a brand new battery in it. The old one wouldn't hold a charge. I have Dr. Battery installed and it says the battery is still good.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast