Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Boredom ensues late at night at my house. And amidst the lurking vampires, werewolves, bats and teenagers that exist solely for the night, past webOS devices come out of the shadows to be redoctored for no good reason. So last night I stumbled upon the meta-doctor script for the super verizon pre 2 with webOS 2.2.4. I skipped from a Pre+ (to android boo hiss I know) to a Pre 3 and never played with the Pre 2. I KNOW had I had a Pre 2 that my verizon-user cries for 2.2.4 would have fallen on big red and deaf ears but thanks (again) to webosinternals and a handful of decent Apple-fearing webOS developers the major bugs have been worked out by now. And by now I mean...years ago at this point. I fired up the ol' Ubuntu install and went to work building the doctor. Worked great and I have to say that the device handled 2.2.4 without any issues whatsoever. Sigh. If only it had been supported in the first place...
    Last edited by alanmorford; 09/04/2013 at 08:55 AM. Reason: can't type
    Remy X and namgod like this.
  2. #2  
    I would like to do this, but I tried building a webOS doctor and it failed miserably. Can you offer any advice, or better yet, a video tutorial?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDogLover View Post
    I would like to do this, but I tried building a webOS doctor and it failed miserably. Can you offer any advice, or better yet, a video tutorial?
    I don't have a way to make you a video but when I get home tonight I'll try to make a mix mash guide from sources from webOS Internals' genius.
  4. noahisaac's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    #4  
    If you have Ubuntu installed and ready to go, you've probably done the hardest part already. From there, you can just follow the meta-doctor instructions at:

    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals

    When you run the script the actual script to download all the correct components, it will look like this:

    ./scripts/meta-verizon-pre2-2.2.4
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDogLover View Post
    I would like to do this, but I tried building a webOS doctor and it failed miserably. Can you offer any advice, or better yet, a video tutorial?
    I didn't forget about this by the way. I sat down last night to do this but decided I wanted to start from an Ubuntu install and be very specific about it. Like noahisaac said it really is Ubuntu plus that link plus the metadoctor install page but having just followed both I can tell you that parts of them are out of date. I will post the updated pieces here. Also the script is actually ./scripts/super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDogLover View Post
    I would like to do this, but I tried building a webOS doctor and it failed miserably. Can you offer any advice, or better yet, a video tutorial?
    Here you go Simplified, Updated, no extras MetaDoctor creation
    NDogLover likes this.
  7. #7  
    Thanks for that! I am about to try it out! I'll let you know how it goes.

    P.S. Do you think that updating the OS might fix the screen problem I am having?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDogLover View Post
    Thanks for that! I am about to try it out! I'll let you know how it goes.

    P.S. Do you think that updating the OS might fix the screen problem I am having?
    Well I suppose it's possible. Good luck.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by NDogLover View Post
    As I don't have Verizon services, I can't sign into my Palm Profile Do you know of a way to skip the signing in part?
    Hit the phone button on the bottom right (shown in this image) http://cdn.webosnation.com/sites/web...ateProfile.png Use the backspace button to the right of 911 to erase 911 and type ##3386633# Switch devmode On. If it's already on switch it to off and then back on and restart. If it doesn't let you do that then switch it to off, restart, go back to the phone icon, erase 911 and type ##3386633# in again and switch it on and restart. I had to do that on mine. It should bypass activation and you can enable wifi and then use Impostah from Preware to sign in to your Palm profile and delete Dr. Skipped First Use.

    I was under the impression you had a Verizon phone since that's what this thread was about. Are you not planning on using this for phone service?
  10. #10  
    Thanks for the info! It worked great.

    No I am not using it with any phone service for that matter, right now anyway. Wifi only. Thanks for the guide. It was easy to follow and understand compared to the one on the webos internals wiki page. Great job!

    Now I am going to install preware. Thanks for all your help!!!
    Alan Morford likes this.
  11.    #11  
    My pleasure :-)
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    I didn't forget about this by the way. I sat down last night to do this but decided I wanted to start from an Ubuntu install and be very specific about it. Like noahisaac said it really is Ubuntu plus that link plus the metadoctor install page but having just followed both I can tell you that parts of them are out of date. I will post the updated pieces here. Also the script is actually ./scripts/super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4
    I am the author of the Super Scripts and will be updating them to fix the certificate issue (not sure when they will be updated but I am compiling a list of changes), if there is anything in the script that you would like changed please let me know.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I am the author of the Super Scripts and will be updating them to fix the certificate issue (not sure when they will be updated but I am compiling a list of changes), if there is anything in the script that you would like changed please let me know.
    I do have one request now that I've had it for a while. My Vzw Pre2 with 2.2.4 shows the top bar all the way across the screen when in an app. For instance, open any app look in the top left hand corner (where the app name is), instead of just the name being in the swipe down menu the entire top bar appears to be the swipe down menu. Interestingly, the clock and other top icons still show on top of it. Is it possible to ensure the swipe down app menu appears normally in the top left?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I do have one request now that I've had it for a while. My Vzw Pre2 with 2.2.4 shows the top bar all the way across the screen when in an app. For instance, open any app look in the top left hand corner (where the app name is), instead of just the name being in the swipe down menu the entire top bar appears to be the swipe down menu. Interestingly, the clock and other top icons still show on top of it. Is it possible to ensure the swipe down app menu appears normally in the top left?
    Not sure what you are referring to please show a picture?

    The source for webOS 2.2.4 is from the unlocked Pre2, however, besides removing the WR carrier apps, including the Verizon carrier apps, Classic, YouTube and Google Maps (from webOS 2.1.0), etc... I have not changed any of the stock Pre2 modules in this script.

    So unless this is a standard feature in webOS, I have not modified anything that would produce this result. Now on my Verizon Pre2 with webOS 2.2.4 when I use a standard game that goes full screen I loose the top bar?
  15.    #15  
    Well I fired my Pre2 up and remembered I redoctored it to 2.1.0 last week so I flashed it back to 2.2.4 to get the screenshots....well, I don't know what happened but the top bar is normal. Huh. Oh well. I had barely touched it at all. Never even used it as my phone just as a testing device and part of my small Palm collection. Weird. I did think of one change though. Upon first boot I type ##DEVMODE# but devmode was already on. I was stuck at that screen. So I ticked it off and had to reboot. Then I had to retype the code and tick it back on and reboot again. THEN I was bypassed to get in but it strikes me that if dev mode was off to begin with I wouldn't have had to do all that. Is there a reason why devmode was enabled at Make (presumably)?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  16. #16  
    If I'm not mistaken (that is, if I recall correctly), the metadoctor does turn on dev mode.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken (that is, if I recall correctly), the metadoctor does turn on dev mode.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Yes, the Super Script auto enables DevMode, it was for users who needed to use novaterm during build to update the modem. fix their USB drive (FSCK), or other issues some had doctoring to webOS 2.2.4. Not that these are caused by the script, but by an all ready corrupted device, which show up during a doctoring.
  18.    #18  
    Ok disregard then (PS John, I wrote you in the 2.1.0 Pixi thread)
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
  19. #19  
    can you upload it online , so i can try in my pre ?

    thanks
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirPaulGerman View Post
    can you upload it online , so i can try in my pre ?

    thanks
    Can't, friend. It's illegal to redistribute but not to create it yourself.
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08/30/2013, 02:57 PM
  2. Trade:VZW Pre + for VZW Samsung Reality
    By broncot in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06/22/2011, 01:57 PM
  3. Moving from VZW Pre+ with 2.1 to VZW Pixi+
    By ziocs1337 in forum webOS Discussion Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06/06/2011, 08:35 PM
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 05/11/2011, 01:58 PM
  5. Unused & Unlocked GSM Pre 2 --> VZW Pre 2 swap?
    By clmensch in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02/17/2011, 05:25 PM

Posting Permissions