Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Tasng4
  • 1 Post By siggi_digital
  • 1 Post By pcworld
  1.    #1  
    I really really hope some one can help. My VERY faithful Palm Treo 680 started to fail so I bought a 2nd hand Palm Pre 2, it work very well except the App Catalog is unobtainable. After some research on the interweb I'm becoming worried that the person I bought the phone from sold it due to Palm's sale of the webOS to HP - who subsequently stopped supporting it.

When I tap the App Catalog icon I get a "This action could not be completed. try again later" message. I am aware of the "fix" to reset the system date to 1st July 2013 and try again but this doesn't work.

The version number of my App Catalog is 2.0.23300 size 33.75m

My wife has the same phone and her App Catalog version number is V2.1.10000 size 33.9m

I bought the Palm Pre because her phone works well and it seemed sensible if we had the same type of phone.

Can anyone help resolve this issue? I am quite computer savvy but mobile phones leave me confused and bewildered.

Thanks in advance.

Neil
    You need a webos account, and than you got to set the time and date of your device to 20.06.2013. After that go to software manger and look for an update of the app catalog.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Hi Neil, contact me by PM might be able to help you out in case above doesn't work.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 08/26/2013 at 01:00 PM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  4.    #4  
    When I got the phone and started it up I assume the previous owner did a hard reset. When I switched it on for the first time I was asked to set up a webos account, I tried this but.....this is where I'm not sure...my sim is not a data roaming sim so I had to set up in developer mode (go to emergency call enter #*3386633 and select developer mode).

I have done a hard rest.....I was again asked to set up or log into my webos account. I entered the details of my E_Mail a/c for my webos account and the phone sat trying to connect.

So.it seems I can't create a webos a/c with a non-data roaming sim card, I can't use my phone to connect to my Wi-fi without a webos a/c, which I can't set up.

New question....can I set up my phone in developer mode......connect to W-fi......and then create my webos a/c which (I think) will enable me to update the App Catalog application.....am I correct?
    You did a hard reset? While you're at it, just doctor it up to 2.1
    Because you have both, an older OS version and who knows what still left over from the previous owner.

Also, there's 2.2.4 which has Skype built-in.

So yes, I think you can turn on dev mode and then switch to a valid account over WiFi. Haven't tried it myself, but it should work
  6.    #6  
    I've heard of the webos doctor, how do I "Doctor it up"

I'm beginning to feel a bit dim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tasng4 View Post
    I've heard of the webos doctor, how do I "Doctor it up"

I'm beginning to feel a bit dim.
    Relax

The webOS Doctor is a ROM + installer, packaged as a Java archive (.jar file), which you'll use to do an upgrade/"clean install"

So to run it, make sure that Java on your computer is up-to-date by going to java.com, install update if necessary. Then download your Doctor: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

I assume you have an unlocked GSM Pre2, which is what the link points to. Scroll up if you have a Verizon Pre2 instead. Read carefully and choose version, 2.1 or 2.2.4.

Once your Doctor is downloaded, run it. If the file opens up as a "compressed file archive" instead of running the app, your file associations are all wrong, so if you're running Windows, right-click it and select "Open with", then Java.

When it's time to connect your device, remove the back cover and take out the battery. Connect to computer, and you'll see a "battery questionmark" symbol [?] on the screen, then hold the Vol UP button while reinserting the battery, you should now see a USB "fork" symbol and Doctor should recognize the phone.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    Relax

The webOS Doctor is a ROM + installer, packaged as a Java archive (.jar file), which you'll use to do an upgrade/"clean install"

So to run it, make sure that Java on your computer is up-to-date by going to java.com, install update if necessary. Then download your Doctor: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals

I assume you have an unlocked GSM Pre2, which is what the link points to. Scroll up if you have a Verizon Pre2 instead. Read carefully and choose version, 2.1 or 2.2.4.

Once your Doctor is downloaded, run it. If the file opens up as a "compressed file archive" instead of running the app, your file associations are all wrong, so if you're running Windows, right-click it and select "Open with", then Java.

When it's time to connect your device, remove the back cover and take out the battery. Connect to computer, and you'll see a "battery questionmark" symbol [?] on the screen, then hold the Vol UP button while reinserting the battery, you should now see a USB "fork" symbol and Doctor should recognize the phone.
    Thanks, I've done this but a slightly different way, I couldn't get it to work by removing the battery & holding the vol-up button. I found this --> which seemed to have worked..... However upon restarting the phone the app catalog remains at version 2.0.23300. I know the reset worked because I've lost all my calender entries as Wi-fi connections.

When accessing the App Catalog I still get the "The action could not be completed message"

So I've done another hard rest and the following happens (once I've set the language, agreed to conditions & unlocked the sim.

- I tap create new account
    - A pop up appears saying I'm currently roaming and charges may apply....I tap yes to allow.
    - A further pop up appears saying Enabling Roaming. At this point I have a strong phone signal but no Wifi

So I did a hard reset again and again I get to the create new account screen but this time I tap sign in to my account: and enter my wife's details - on the assumption webos allows a person to have more than one phone.
    - I get a blue screen saying signing in and a rotating swirly symbol.
    - After about 30 seconds I get the sign-in failed screen and options to try again or enter phone settings. I select try again
    - same result so I tap enter settings
    - I enter settings & get a message saying the settings are invalid, but elsewhere on the internet I'm told to ignore this.
    - The phone then make a further attempt to sign in. and just sits there trying to sign in.

I'm beginning to this there are irreconcilable problems.
  9.    #9  
    The following might allow you to log into a Palm Profile via WiFi: Global Paid App Catalog Access for new unlocked GSM Pre 2/Pre 3/Veer (using Impostah)
    Note that you can't have more than one phone on a Palm Profile, or it will remote-wipe your other phone (though you can prevent the wiping).
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    The easiest way is to get a sim card with a data plan and start again from scratch! But you need to create your own account!

Yup, you didn't doctor...

A hard reset isn't as good as a clean install, it never repairs damaged system files. For all I know, you could have a keylogger running in the background, and a hard reset will do nothing to remove it.

So what was the difficulty? Unable to enter recovery (USB fork) mode?

Glad the sign-in process didn't work, otherwise it would remote-wipe your wife's phone
  13.    #13  
    Siggi_digital - MY wife has the same phone and sim contract with the same provider and hers works fine. The only thing might be the her phone was set up on another provider (orange pay as you go). But as far as we know neither has a data plan.

Remy X - I thought I did "Doctor" as I did get a large USB fork on the screen followed by an arrow pointing to a memory chip. I will try again though just to make sure and post the results. Although I do seem to have problems getting the doctor to 'see' the phone.
  14.    #14  
    Siggi_digital - You're probably correct but the thing is my wife has the same phone and same contract and hers works fine although she has a later version of app catalog.

Remy X - I have re-Doctored and attach a PDF of screen dumps of the process. The phone is now asking to confirm the language so I have to assume the Doctoring worked but I will check the version number of the App Catalog and if it hasn't changed try setting the system date to 20th June 2013 as suggested earlier.

Attached Files Attached Files
    Remy X likes this.
    And again: don't use your wife's account, make your own!

Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    A hard reset isn't as good as a clean install, it never repairs damaged system files. For all I know, you could have a keylogger running in the background, and a hard reset will do nothing to remove it.
    Malware can survive the doctoring process if it's "smart" enough.
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Remy X likes this.
  17.    #17  
    I hate the expression "Plug and Play" because these things never do that.

The phone is now working although I do not know why. I did the following:
    1. Doctored it, result attached to an earlier post.
    2.Tried again to use my sim, didn't work.
    3. Put in a UK pay as you go sim and that allowed me to create my HP account.
    4. Took out the UK sim and put mine in and this allowed me to go to the phone's 'home page'.
    5. Switched on W-Fi
    6. Reset the system date to 20-06-2013 and updated the App Catalog
    7. Reset the system date to 01-07-2013 and updated the App Catalog, now at v 2.1.10000

I've successfully D/L'd a few apps.

So thanks to ALL those who contributed and despite not knowing exactly what happened to fix it I'm sure it wouldn't have worked without the various doctoring and resetting - none of which I knew how to do.