Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm sitting here waiting for my Pre 3 to show up having found one for under $200 finally after two years of being on Android. Why am I going back to webOS since it will most likely never be updated again? Never see new webOS specific hardware again? These are the questions I have been asking myself. The answer is found internally. Because it just works. Are there issues? YES. Lord, yes. But NONE of my android experience saw a perfect week of use either. There are things I will miss like no kidding (non-Navit style) turn by turn directions and Google Now was really nicely incorporated especially for tracking shipments and flights. But anything I can think of that would make me go back to Android is there on webOS through certain (albeit slightly more challenging to enable) means. I'm determined to force the networks, the very hardware lifespan, and my own resolve to force them all to pry webOS from my cold dead hands. Ahead of it's time is an understatement. webOS release in '09 and Apple is just now realizing how smart cards are with their multitasking card view. I saw it first hand the other day. It IS webOS. Sigh... So in an effort to ensure I can maintain a webOS life for the next X years I purchased a Pre 2 from eBay. I remember really wanting it and not being able to afford it. $40 now? Yeah I can do that. So my Pre+, Pre 2, and Pre 3 and I will be just fine for the foreseeable future. Lord willing and the creek don't rise...and 3G still works...and the hardware doesn't go kaput...
    yup, agree with lots you mention, i still have my pre3 as my daily/regualr device as i simply can use it in a far easier manor than all my other stuff, phsical keyboard ofc is my main like, its a good size for my hand, operates np with 1 finger/hand, even with a small app selection it still has all i need on it.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
    Since open webos is being made compatible with an android kernel, it might be someday that an enterprising person would back port it to some of the palm hardware, we shall have to see...
    If we could aggregate all the "Yep, still stciking with webOS" threads into one, I expect it'd be the longest thread on the net.

Honestly though, I'm right there with you. There's simply nothing out there quite like it. The Pre-style form factor combined with webOS still rocks my socks. I drove myself nuts a couple months back looking at *everything* else out there (including old Symbian phones!) only to convince myself that I'm very happy with my Pre 3. It's the most balanced solution for what *I* want in a smartphone.

It does almost everything I want my smartphone to do, does it more fluidly than any other device, and the added bonus of the Touchstone. So yeah. Until another (stable) platform feels cozy in terms of software (Just TYpe) and hardware (NOT > 4" screen, pref. HW keyboard), I've stopped thinking about a switch.

As a gadget geek it's easy to want the new, shiny thing all the time. But at the end of the day, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
    kulf and ArchonAdvisors like this.
    I don't even think about switching anymore. All that concerns me is how to keep going for as long as possible, how much backup to buy and like mentioned above will 3g be around forever.
    Last edited by laingman; 08/18/2013 at 02:08 PM.
    I also bought a spare Pre2 some weeks ago. With ACL on TP (and hopefully later on phones) i hope to get 2-3 apps that aren't avail on webOS but still have my great userexperice.

ah and welcome back...
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    Since open webos is being made compatible with an android kernel, it might be someday that an enterprising person would back port it to some of the palm hardware, we shall have to see...
    For the Touchpad, once the Android port of webOS is 100% complete, it will be very straightforward to do this, in large part due to CyanogenMod support..

For the phones, it will be trickier due to the lack of Android drivers. It should be possible to build LunaCE for phones though... and work this as a parallel fork, like Ubuntu and Kubuntu, which share progress while maintaining their differences...
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    Why do we do this to ourselves?

[...]

The answer is found internally. Because it just works.[...]
    Well said
  9.    #9  
    The question is how much effort is being put into the development? Do the devs have enough help? Is the community still going to want it in a few years? While a Lunace port for phones would be awesome how realistic is that? I'm a user and not a programmer. I'll be beside myself with joy to use and install it.
  10.    #10  
    Oh for Heavan's sake...I just bought a Pixi Plus on ebay for the heck of it. Yes, I'm the guy who waits until the last 30 seconds to bid but hey, it paid off. $15.50 for a Pixi Plus?? Sure. Why not? That'll bring me up to every Palm/HP device released on Verizon plus a Touchpad. I wouldn't have it any other way. I AM a tiny bit jealous I can't play with a Veer on Verizon...but only a little...this is a small joke...like the Veer...get it? Moving on...
    Remy X likes this.
    I like my Preł, but I could adapt to new hardware. I might eventually get used to a different mobile OS (though whether I'd like it as much as webOS is another matter ).What I'd have trouble with is getting used to a different way of managing all my mobile data--Synergy just makes things work well in ways that my wife struggles to get he iPhone to cooperate. Having to move on from the webOS data management environment without having an equally-capable replacement would be a bitter pill to swallow.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    gizmo21 and Remy X like this.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by bethel95 View Post
    I like my Preł, but I could adapt to new hardware. I might eventually get used to a different mobile OS (though whether I'd like it as much as webOS is another matter ).What I'd have trouble with is getting used to a different way of managing all my mobile data--Synergy just makes things work well in ways that my wife struggles to get he iPhone to cooperate. Having to move on from the webOS data management environment without having an equally-capable replacement would be a bitter pill to swallow.
    Yeah that's one of the big things that brought me back recently. I'm truly sorry I ever left. I'll tell you having used a Nexus device with pure Android on it STILL doesn't compare to the fluidity and usability of webOS.
    Put me on the list of "from my dead hand".. and not because I want to be picky and difficult, it's really is a question that WebOS is so much better..

Give me something comparable and I'll consider it.... so far, nothing comes close.

I would love a Pre3 but even after all this time, I can't find one at a fair price.. so Pre2s are still it for a long time. (and for my wife and the kids, not one of them want to switch either, they all love their Pre/Pre2 - and the Touchpads of course).
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Put me on the list of "from my dead hand".. and not because I want to be picky and difficult, it's really is a question that WebOS is so much better..

Give me something comparable and I'll consider it.... so far, nothing comes close.

I would love a Pre3 but even after all this time, I can't find one at a fair price.. so Pre2s are still it for a long time. (and for my wife and the kids, not one of them want to switch either, they all love their Pre/Pre2 - and the Touchpads of course).
    What's a fair price? "Took it out of the box and played with it for 2 weeks/1 month" Pre 3s are going on ebay for about $150. That's fair to me.
    Grabber5.0, ananimus and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by alanmorford View Post
    What's a fair price? "Took it out of the box and played with it for 2 weeks/1 month" Pre 3s are going on ebay for about $150. That's fair to me.
    Agreed. Phones from other platforms with similar size/pixel density, CPU speed and memory go for >$150.
    Alan Morford and Rnp like this.
    I've yet to see one come under 250$.. guess I'm missing these 150$ ones?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    I'm right there with you. Just got a 3rd pre3 coming my way. I don't have the same app envy or shiny new device envy the rest of the planet seems to suffer from. They are forever chasing the "perfect" phone and every 6 months I hear a lot of "I've found it!" only to hear it again 6mo later. Meanwhile I'm already on the perfect phone for me. I wish it had more ram, but otherwise I'm 100% satisfied with my pre3, for the life of me I cannot understand why it wasn't released (in the us anyway). It's a great phone!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    I've yet to see one come under 250$.. guess I'm missing these 150$ ones?
    Yeah man. They're out there.
    Global Posts
    98 Global Posts
    If only the pre3 had more RAM...
    Remy X and Rnp like this.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I just went back to Pre2 after spending two years with the Blackberry 9930 on Verizon.

I was evaluating the new Q10, but quickly concluded that BBOS10 doesn't yet have the polish of webOS.

The basics of the Pre2 are still flawless, but there quite a few things that don't work. For example, no maps and even Google searches often fail.

All in all I think I'll stick with webOS for a while longer. I'm even considering getting a Pre3 and making the Pre my backup. I'm also considering switching to ATT to get simultaneous voice and data.

What would folks recommend -- Pre2 to Pre3 and Verizon to ATT?

BTW, can you use FreeTether on ATT like you can on Verizon without paying extra?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast