Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    I just went back to Pre2 after spending two years with the Blackberry 9930 on Verizon.

I was evaluating the new Q10, but quickly concluded that BBOS10 doesn't yet have the polish of webOS.

The basics of the Pre2 are still flawless, but there quite a few things that don't work. For example, no maps and even Google searches often fail.

All in all I think I'll stick with webOS for a while longer. I'm even considering getting a Pre3 and making the Pre my backup. I'm also considering switching to ATT to get simultaneous voice and data.

What would folks recommend -- Pre2 to Pre3 and Verizon to ATT?

BTW, can you use FreeTether on ATT like you can on Verizon without paying extra?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Homebrew Google Maps from 72ka available in Preware is actually quite good!

Google search ALWAYS works with me on my Veer with 2.2.4. Pre 2 and Veer are similar, Pre 3 is a lot faster. It has some bugs for sure, but you can get Verizon Pre 3's for a fair price ($150 to $175) on eBay last time I checked.
    Remy X, Zer0C001, Rnp and 1 others like this.

The basics of the Pre2 are still flawless, but there quite a few things that don't work. For example, no maps and even Google searches often fail.
    Same as the other poster, just get the homebrew Google map app, and I've never had issues with searches.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

Google search ALWAYS works with me on my Veer with 2.2.4. Pre 2 and Veer are similar, Pre 3 is a lot faster. It has some bugs for sure, but you can get Verizon Pre 3's for a fair price ($150 to $175) on eBay last time I checked.
    Holy moly. This is amazing. This version of Google Maps even works on Verizon -- flawless.

The map situation was making me nervous about re-ramping up on webOS, but this Homebrew app may be better than anything I can get on something like the BB Q10 and the Google Map on my old Bold 9930 was a real kludge.

So far, the Pre2 has been pretty stable. I remember all kinds of mentions of the keyboard and other problems with the Pre3 when I did google searches. I am under the impression that the Pre3 is quite a bit less reliable than the Pre2. If that is not the case then I would gladly pay whatever it takes to get the ultimate webOS phone to hold me over for a few years.

So, now the big question is should I go ATT or Verizon.I really don't want voice calls to be cutting off my WIFI hotspot on Verizon. So two questions:

1) Will the Pre3 or Pre2 do simultaneous voice and data?

2) Would there be any problem using FreeTether on ATT? I have to admit that is it real slow and flaky on Verizon. I have to wonder if they are selectively throttling me.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    So, now the big question is should I go ATT or Verizon.I really don't want voice calls to be cutting off my WIFI hotspot on Verizon. So two questions:

1) Will the Pre3 or Pre2 do simultaneous voice and data?

2) Would there be any problem using FreeTether on ATT? I have to admit that is it real slow and flaky on Verizon. I have to wonder if they are selectively throttling me.
    I'm not in the US so these comments may not be too helpful but here goes...

As I understand it, the first question relates to the network technology rather than the handset. I have never had an issue with any phone but then, being in the UK, I have always used GSM. My Pre- and Pre3 both do voice and data over 2G and 3G without problems. Given that, I would have thought ATT would be your safest bet.

Freetether does not make it's presence known to the network at all so the only way you will be spotted is if your usage is high and they start analyzing the traffic to see packets that don't appear to be from a mobile device. It will depend on the packet analysis techniques used by ATT/Verizon as to which is best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post

Not even the search always works for me, but now with that "fix" even the Just Type google suggest function is back in business on 2.x and 3.x. . And it's quite nice to use it as fast poormans spell checking

60RH likes this.
    Long story short, The Wife and I had gotten the Palm Pre Plus when it came out on Verizon, (She had seen it online and knew she wanted one) I wasnt so sure about it and was thinking about another windows 6.5 phones or the "droid" the salesman was trying to tell me about. But the wife insisted I look at the Pre... Needless to say I feel in love.... Well a year and a half of use, I had the phone on my lap in the truck and went to get out, it landed screen first onto the rock driveway. I was heartbroken. She used her until we left verizon. After that we used cheap prepaid tracfone flip phones. And decided to get smart phones again. We decided on Virgin mobile LG Optimus V and $25 plan.... What a horror story. Since then she has moved to Simple mobile and has had 3 other android devices. All of them sucked. (I am still currently on my optimus v) just been waiting to find out what I want to get. I have decided nothing new. I want WebOS, that is all I have wanted since I first got to hold one in my hand. So a few days ago I won a Pre 2 on ebay. I am looking forward to unlocking it and using it on Simple Mobile. (all of the wifes phones with Simple have been ATT phones that ive unlocked) she gets 3G in some locations around Indianapolis, the rest of the time she gets Edge (seems to be as fast as Sprint 3G here) . So hopefully in the next week I have my Pre 2. As quick of a downfall WebOS and Palm/HP had, I am so glad to see the amount of people faithful to the hardware and OS. Thinking of purchasing a few more WebOS devices one for the wife, and others as backups.
    I am on my 3rd or 4th Pre 3--they are not fond of being dropped from your lap when you stop to get gas. Love the OS, although it is sometimes slow. Cards/multi-tasking, etc are great. Not big into apps, so that's not an issue for me. The keyboard is the deal maker for me. Future hardware would have been awesome. A case would be great and would probably have saved me a few headaches from dropping phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by homer14z View Post
    I am on my 3rd or 4th Pre 3--they are not fond of being dropped from your lap when you stop to get gas. Love the OS, although it is sometimes slow. Cards/multi-tasking, etc are great. Not big into apps, so that's not an issue for me. The keyboard is the deal maker for me. Future hardware would have been awesome. A case would be great and would probably have saved me a few headaches from dropping phones.
    Well you have to practice to never have phone in your lap. My pre2 is never in my lap, it goes from touchstone to my pocket.
    JuicyKinney likes this.
    Why do we do it? I'd love to know too...

I went from Pre to Pre+ to Veer and TouchPad over several years then decided that this whole webOS thing was slowly dying so jumped ship to Android. Two years later and I've now been using my brand-new-still-in-the-box Pre3 for just over a week and wonder why I ever left. There are a ton of things about it that annoy me but so much more that I love about it that I'm willing to put up with a bit of hassle to use it as my daily driver.
    JuicyKinney likes this.
    That was a lesson I took to heart, I have never kept a phone in my lap since. Is there anything I should be worried about? I am not very big into apps, I would entertain a facebook app (if it still works) but I mainly just text and make and receive calls. Camera is not a worry, IDK if its good or not. but I have a dedicated camera, no phone is good enough. lol Ill post on here once I get the phone unlocked, (or if I have problems) lol I am sure I will need some help with things, but I will do what I can to figure out whats posted on the great internet before bothering anybody.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    How true this all is. I have a Sprint Franken-Pre2, which I upgraded to from my Pre- when the fire sale happened. I've recently been pondering what to do next, since it's been a hard used daily driver for so long. I recently subscribed to google voice, because the idea of going to the Sprint store and getting a new phone, if mine were to break or die, just makes me cringe. At least, with google voice , I can temporarily redirect my number to another phone till I can refranken a new webOS phone :-)

I have seen all my friends' Android and iPhones, and I've experienced the Android experience on my Touchpad.. I really can't imagine, nor have I found anything that would "just work" like webOS. My friends still have to bring their chargers to work to manually plug their phones in when the battery starts dying, using a spare outlet over by the bathroom, so it's hilarious to watch them run over to answer their phones and have to juggle the cable and unplug to move around and take a call.
    And they think they're pretty cool when the get their latest "high tech" phone, but are still stuck in the same paradigms, and within a month, they're not really using any of the "cool" "must have" features the salesman extolled to them when they "upgraded". All they really got was a new contract :-)

Of course I'd love more modern hardware and a handfull of more modern everyday practical apps. But the fact is, webOS is so amazingly simple, intuitive and just plain easier to use for real, practical use, that I ,cringe at having to accept the "state of the art". I like the cards, finally adopted by iOS, and I love the responsiveness of the iPhone . But I don't like the feel of the design, its so angular, and so uncomfortable to hold and use. Even the silly lock screen gesture is so "wrong". My thumb moves up and away, not straight to one side.:-) Of course you can train yourself to use any device, but why should you have to go against nature in this day and age.

We are spoiled I suppose, and that, is exactly why we do this to ourselves. Because despite the march of tech for tech's sake, we have experienced tech for people's sake. And that should be the future. That is webOS.

Long live webOS, the OS for people. (not sheep :-P)
    Last edited by hulickr; 10/21/2013 at 09:53 PM. Reason: typo
    Roy

Pre3 is here !! Loving it
    Sprint FrankenPre2 - Touchpad - Homebrew galore
    History: Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Palm Pre
    Garfonso and Alan Morford like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hulickr View Post
    We are spoiled I suppose, and that, is exactly why we do this to ourselves. Because despite the march of tech for tech's sake, we have experienced tech for people's sake. And that should be the future. That is webOS.
    Here here! Well said
    A simple answer to the OP's question is this: I do it because of the interface. I've owned an iPhone and several high end Android devices. While I like the availability of apps (mostly games), I hate the interfaces. WebOS' interface is so much easier to use. The only way I can describe the feeling is that it is "fluid". Notifications and integration are also better on webOS.

I don't have a webOS phone anymore. I would love a Pre3, but until I leave Sprint that's not going to happen. Right now I have a Android phone, so I get my webOS fix with the TouchPad. I am currently a beta tester for ACL, so I get to run Android apps on the interface I love. Right now I have the best of both worlds.

I'm hoping that openwebOS will finally become stable enough and diversive enough to run on all future Android devices. I'm also hoping that ACL will work on openwebOS. That way I can have new devices with webOS goodness.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12