• 2 Post By Remy X
  • 3 Post By bethel95
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By xandros9
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By 3snakes
  1.    #1  
    I would like to use my Pre 2 as my mp3 player (airplane mode of course) at home connected to a couple of speakers but I would like to know if the battery would suffer from having the Pre 2 on a touchstone permanently, by that I mean 24/7 365 days a year!

Please let me know your thoughts. I would like to have my Pre 2 always ready in case my Veer fails...

Sorry if this has been commented before but I have not searched much on the forum before asking...
    Dell Axim X5 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Tungsten T3 -> Palm Tungsten T -> Palm Treo Pro + MicroSD 4GB -> Palm Pre 2 (Lost it) -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Pre 3
    Yes it will, don't be surprised if your battery health goes from around 80 down to 50%, like it has when i started using my Pre+ for my home internet connection... and i don't even use the Touchstone because of the heat, i use the cord and have it rest on a special holder where air circulates from all sides.

If you will be using the Touchstone, at least open the slider to keep it cool...

But then the original OEM Palm batteries (Pre and Pixi kind) are pretty cheap at $3 apiece on Amazon, so don't worry about burning through batteries, they don't cost much "new" and decay with time anyway, buy yourself a spare or three and just make sure to recycle them when the time is up... lithium is a limited resource
    RumoredNow and bethel95 like this.
    I would not think it would matter about the battery if it is going to stay on the charger anyway. But you can still buy batteries here on webosnation or eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by guilledil View Post
    I would like to use my Pre 2 as my mp3 player (airplane mode of course) at home connected to a couple of speakers but I would like to know if the battery would suffer from having the Pre 2 on a touchstone permanently, by that I mean 24/7 365 days a year!

Please let me know your thoughts. I would like to have my Pre 2 always ready in case my Veer fails...

Sorry if this has been commented before but I have not searched much on the forum before asking...
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    I would not think it would matter about the battery if it is going to stay on the charger anyway. But you can still buy batteries here on webosnation or eBay.
    Here, they are overpriced.. Amazon FTW!

What he's asking though is, if the battery will degrade to the point that the Pre2 won't last a half day as a backup phone... The answer is yes, but spare batteries are easy to come by
    I'd also be concerned about overheating doing damage to components other than the battery, particularly if the location is a hot spot (gets sun part of the day, has other hot-running electronics nearby, etc.). I've seen overheating on my Preł on one such Touchstone location that I regularly use.

RemyX's idea of leaving the slider open may help, but unless you're watching it 24/7, if it does cook, it will almost certainly do so with a bow to Murphy (i.e., when you're not there to hear the alert and rescue it).

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    guilledil, xandros9 and Remy X like this.
    I always leave the slider open while charging (cord or Touchstone), because my Mom's Pre+ was charging on a Touchstone one night with the slider closed, an OTA update came through and bricked it.

I had to doctor it for her (still have Dr. for v.1.3), so ever since that happened i open the slider to charge it and when watching videos... just playing an MP3 generates less heat, but i assume the OP will be using Bluetooth as well...

FYI, lithium batteries last longest when kept cool, as heat speeds up oxidation, and unused batteries and devices should be stored at ~40% charge. When in use, not charging above 80% also helps prolong life... not always practical, but interesting fact none the less.

The smaller the battery, the faster the discharge rate tends to be, the faster it will wear out. E-cig batteries seem to take the first place in that regard, being the fastest to go from brand new to totally unusable.

Li-ion batteries last longer when charge and discharge cycles alternate, while Li-Po batteries tend to last longer while sitting on the charger. The latter is somewhat more fragile and if the polymer cracks after a bad drop, there's a chance of it catching fire. This is perhaps of why cell phone batteries are Li-ion, but newer laptop batteries Li-Po. It's not to say that cell phone batteries never self-destruct, but the incendiary Dell laptops were in fact Li-Po.
    ananimus likes this.
    Does a Pre stay on if plugged in and you pull the battery? I seem to recall no. But if so, plug it in and pull the battery if it's just going to sit there?
    I know it won't boot without a battery (with at least 5% charge). Never tried pulling the battery after it is up and running though, but I assume it will error out or try to shut itself off.

I've had times when the battery in my HP Mini fell out, and I had to hold the plug with one hand while hibernating it, before flipping it over to reseat the battery and readjust the battery clip. The Windows kernel allows for that, so I presume that the webOS kernel can also be modified to support the same behavior (removal of battery while running)...

it would actually have been nice if we could boot up, plug in the cord, pull the battery, close the cover and place it on a running touchstone, then unplug the cord...
    plug in the cord, pull the battery, close the cover and place it on a running touchstone, then unplug the cord...
    Impossible without broken the back cover in the usb connector...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I can only speak from personal experience but all of my Palm devices (Pre, TouchPad and Pre 3) when are not in use are sitting on their respective TS chargers which is mostly 24/7. My TouchPad's battery is over 2 years old and still over 90% health and my Pre 3 batter is close to 2 years old, also with over 90% health. Also, I never open the slider when the phone is on the 3- charger. Give a try, like they have said above, batteries are cheap
    @netwrkr9,

The Touchpad's battery is Li-Po IIRC, so that makes sense... But with the Pre3, I assume that's just good luck
    If you yank the battery while plugged in, it will shut down. However, there is a window where its still on, allowing things like split-second battery hot swaps.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Impossible without broken the back cover in the usb connector...

Best Regards...
    What do you mean? I can remove the cover and access the battery while the Pre+ is charging via USB.. or are you talking about a Veer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
    What do you mean? I can remove the cover and access the battery while the Pre+ is charging via USB.. or are you talking about a Veer?
    Or the Pre3..
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Or the Pre3..
    Pre 3's USB port is part of the bottom part of the slider, on the Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 it is part of the top part of the slider.

FYI Veer is a magnetic connector which is also part of the bottom part of the slider.

One can not remove the battery while the cover is on and the USB port is being used, unless the cover is broken where the USB port is I think is what is being stated...

As the question is based on the Pre2, my developer Pre2 does have the right place to attempt the removal of the cover, then the battery while it is charging from USB, then putting the cover back on then putting it on the touchstone, then removing the USB cord.

But I thought the charging comm board required a battery to function, even it was a weak battery just need some battery.
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Pre 3's USB port is part of the bottom part of the slider, on the Pre/PrePlus/Pre2 it is part of the top part of the slider.

FYI Veer is a magnetic connector which is also part of the bottom part of the slider.

One can not remove the battery while the cover is on and the USB port is being used, unless the cover is broken where the USB port is I think is what is being stated...
    Right, what I was getting at was only the Pre3 can't have the battery cover removed or replaced while the charging cable is plugged in, but the thread is about the Pre2. I probably should have used more words.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    As the question is based on the Pre2, my developer Pre2 does have the right place to attempt the removal of the cover, then the battery while it is charging from USB, then putting the cover back on then putting it on the touchstone, then removing the USB cord.

But I thought the charging comm board required a battery to function, even it was a weak battery just need some battery.
    So I tested this and when I removed the battery within a few seconds window the device was OK, then attempted to snap on the battery cover and put it on the Touchstone as fast as I could...

The moment I do that it reboots, and shows a battery with a ? in the middle.

So then I remove the battery cover, and put the battery back in the device boots into webOS.

But, one can swap batteries, which I also just tested swapped from a 1183 to a 1150, then swapped back according to Dr. Battery it did notice the battery swap...

Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Right, what I was getting at was only the Pre3 can't have the battery cover removed or replaced while the charging cable is plugged in, but the thread is about the Pre2. I probably should have used more words.
    Yeah that is what I thought, this can not be done with the Pre3.
    Remy X likes this.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    My Pre-2 and the Pre+ before gets reduced battery life whenever the phone gets warm or hot. That includes listening to radio or music at the gym (if closed and in a case), and touchstone charging, especially when closed. Wired charging does run cooler. I like the Mugen brand batteries for appreciably longer runtimes per charge, but they wear out as above like any other.
    Remy X likes this.