Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    ok, so im kinda new to this, but im having an issue.
    I ordered an unlocked Palm Pre 2 from ebay, great phone, love it, but the issue is that it will not hold a charge for more than 4 hours(about) i ordered a new battery, and same thing. both battery work perfectly as they should in my palm pixi plus. so i know its not the batteries.
    I used WebOS doctor to reinsall WebOS, and still the problem continues.
    the other problem i am seeing is that it will not charge when plugged in. if it has any battery power at all and i plug it in it will say charging, but the battery percentage drains as normal. it will only charge when it is completely dead, and even then it is hit and miss.
    idk if it is software or hardware issue. but i think i am leaning towards hardware.
    ifc anyone has any suggestions, or anything please let me know
    Install JStop to see what process is working

Also, Dr. Battery to see the drain, battery status.

Preware

Bad connections are terrible drains, so if the antennas aren't working right, or you have WIFI on without connection, or the cell signal is poor, the phone will keep trying to connect.

My Pre2 can last the day with minimal use and still have between 60-80% of charge by the time I get home, but in low signal areas, I've seen it get down to 40% within a couple of hours.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Remy X likes this.
  3.    #3  
    are these apps from the webos market? or do i have to do something on my computer. i am pretty new with the whole webos thing,
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kennedy1 View Post
    are these apps from the webos market? or do i have to do something on my computer. i am pretty new with the whole webos thing,
    These are Preware Apps.

You need to install Preware, which is another catalog for free Apps, mostly technical one.

The installation isn't that hard, just follow the instructions here:

How to install homebrew apps on your TouchPad or webOS smartphone | webOS Nation

Other Apps HIGHLY recommended.

Flashlight in menu
    Brightness in menu
    WIFI file Sharing
    FileMgr
    Google Maps

It is really worth getting on all your WebOs devices, it's the same for all to install it.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Remy X likes this.
  5.    #5  
    ahh i got it. ill let you all know wha ti find out.
    thanks
  6.    #6  
    ok well i got dr battery installed, an di have no idea what im looking at. ive tried three different plus, and it just says "discharging" i plug it in, it beeps and says charging, but in dr battery it just says discharging, and i keep loosing battery power.
  7.    #7  
    according to Dr. Battery, it is discharging at about the same rate as my Pixi Plus ... but ive lost 8% in 5 minutes ...
  8.    #8  
    ok so heres the update, i jsut need help figuring out whats wrong
    this is all taken from JStop
    PID NAME NODES Handles
    1013 jstop 131 0
    1010 systemui 146 0
    1009 phone 388 8
    1014 Drbattery 133 6
    1000 systemui 100 63
    1003 phone 102 38
    1007 email 78 10
    1005 calender 61 8
    1006 Messaging 63 8
    1001 launcher 202 8
    1004 contacts 64 3
    1008 phone 123 2
    1002 camera 31 1
    Been having similar issues, the discharge rate, with medum screen brightness is of about 200 mha. The phone also gets sligtly warm on the middle right section of the screen and sometimes the radios reset triggering the network time not available message. Are you getting the same symptoms? it seem as if the cpu keeps working on something draining the battery.
  10.    #10  
    yeah thats exactly it. it gets warm on the screen right by when the charger plugs in. and yeah it resets at least once an hour. i dont have a sim card in it now, but i still get the "phone offline" message once in a while.
    its driving me nuts. i want to use this phone... but i just cant
    Im no webos expert but will try to dig into this issue, its driving me nuts, this is my daily driver phone and its not lasting more than 4 hours ona full charge.
  12.    #12  
    awesome. im trying to look into it myself, but not finding out out much yet. let me know if you do find something.
    Did some hardware tests, Im getting a code 20, Modem. you can do the same test in the "device info" app, tap "prefferences" (uppermost left corner), "tests", "quick tests"
    Nevermind, that error has to do with me not using a data plan and thus disabling data with "Data Toggle"
    better get govnah and see the statistics
    I see a pattern...
  16.    #16  
    with no sim card i got error 1000 modem. then i put my sim card in and i got error 25 for no data connection (i do have a data connection) and the third test gave me error 1000 modem.
    i have no idea. im about to give up and just return this phone
    Im about to doctor it, hope it fixes it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kennedy1 View Post
    ok so heres the update, i jsut need help figuring out whats wrong
    this is all taken from JStop
    PID NAME NODES Handles
    1013 jstop 131 0
    1010 systemui 146 0
    1009 phone 388 8
    1014 Drbattery 133 6
    1000 systemui 100 63
    1003 phone 102 38
    1007 email 78 10
    1005 calender 61 8
    1006 Messaging 63 8
    1001 launcher 202 8
    1004 contacts 64 3
    1008 phone 123 2
    1002 camera 31 1
    I'm a touch puzzled by the last line. Do you have the camera app always running?

Edit: Nevermind--I just installed & ran Jstop on my Preł, and it's showing the same Camera process. It must be a stub process that runs on boot.

So any improvement after doctoring?
    Last edited by bethel95; 08/08/2013 at 08:36 PM.

Tungsten E, Treo 650, Pre+ (3), Preł (2), TouchPad (2), & my trusty Treo BT headset (in use!)
    Posts: Save/Restore Backup Process & Batch File | Activated! (Verizon Preł Activation) | "Not Enough Space To Download" Fix
    Hmmm, this might be caused by multiple factors, at once.

One of them light be the modem working overtime, but another could be that the phones don't "sleep" properly.

For the modem, you could test the phone in "airplane mode" to see how quickly it is discharging. Then turn off airplane mode and test again. You could try updating the PRL and reprovisioning, which could improve things, as it had in my Mom's case.

If the phone doesn't sleep properly, it uses up a lot of power in constantly trying to go to sleep... you can test this by downloading and opening Terminal and then, while your phone is unplugged and in your hand, hit the power button, turning off the screen. Wait for one minute. Press power again, and when it wakes up, if the screen is full of messages from "powerd", about system going to sleep and waking up every few seconds, you can try an app called Nodoze can be run in the background that prevents this. Both can be found in Preware.

You could use Govnah, running in the background, to check for battery and CPU load, and correlate the graphs with actual usage...
    bethel95 likes this.
    Ok, i have some bad news. i doctored my phone, did a full erase first, but the problem persisted. In my case, it was hardaware related. I replaced the ribbon that goes from the motherboard to the modem and that fixed my problem. Perhaps just resseting my current flex cable would have fixed it, but since I had a spare one from my old pre plus, ijust used it and it worked.

So, Ian, if you can still return the phone somehow, do it. There is a high chance that your problem is hardaware related too. If you are stuck with it and dont plan to leave the platform (I eventually will) dont fret. The ribbon replacement procedure is not thaaaat hard, and ribbons can be bought cheap at ebay.

If you decide to go on that road, drop me a PM, or start a new thread and I can make a guide or something.

Good luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast