1.    #1  
    I have a New Palm Pre 2, never activated.
    I am a 'newbie', so I don't know anything at all technical.
    I wanted to download Preware w/out activating the phone, so I followed the directions to 'Bypass activation', NOT realizing that Wifi access does Not give me App Store access.

How do I erase the Dr Skipped Firstuse profile to I can actually get the phone activated and create a profile to access the App Store and download Preware?

Thanks in advance for all help.
    Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

Which instructions did you follow? With impostah you can log back to your existing profile, create a new one and delete Dr Firstuse.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vity Traff View Post
    Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation

Which instructions did you follow? With impostah you can log back to your existing profile, create a new one and delete Dr Firstuse.
    Thanks for the response.
    I followed the instructions posted by bbito on 12-20-2011.
    My pre 2 is a brand new phone, never activated and so no profile was created.
    I turned on the phone and followed the by-pass activation steps.

I've read several posts saying 'download impostah' - but it seems a catch 22.
    How do I download anything w/out access to the App catalog?

I can't tell you how I'm regretting not reading further before doing, but it's done and now I need to undo it.
    I'm Not tech savvy, so all the postings I've read seem abbreviated - written for people who know how to access what & where and how to download to the what & where.

I do learn from my mistakes, so before I did anything else to the phone, I searched on what would happen if I went into Options and just Erased everything. Nothing would be lost since there was nothing on the phone to start with.
    But that didn't seem to work for the person who posted that he tried it and it failed... so I'm back to needing detailed steps on how to undo my blunder.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by decaf View Post
    Thanks for the response.
    I followed the instructions posted by bbito on 12-20-2011.
    My pre 2 is a brand new phone, never activated and so no profile was created.
    I turned on the phone and followed the by-pass activation steps.

I've read several posts saying 'download impostah' - but it seems a catch 22.
    How do I download anything w/out access to the App catalog?

I can't tell you how I'm regretting not reading further before doing, but it's done and now I need to undo it.
    I'm Not tech savvy, so all the postings I've read seem abbreviated - written for people who know how to access what & where and how to download to the what & where.

I do learn from my mistakes, so before I did anything else to the phone, I searched on what would happen if I went into Options and just Erased everything. Nothing would be lost since there was nothing on the phone to start with.
    But that didn't seem to work for the person who posted that he tried it and it failed... so I'm back to needing detailed steps on how to undo my blunder.

You can download WebOS Quick Install v4.5.0 here. That will run from your PC. Impostah is in Preware and WOSQI will allow you to install it from your computer to your Pre 2. You can also install Preware using WOSQI.

Don't give up - your almost there!
    just to be clear:
    place the Pre in developer mode if you have not done so by now. At the home screen type webos20090606 and the option to do so will appear (do not set a password). reboot device.

Next, download wOSQI to the PC. Its a Java runtime so be sure a recent version of Java is installed on the PC. With the USB cable, connect the Pre to the PC, select option to only charge, and run WOSQI. The app should recognize the Pre after installing the (Novacom) drivers for it.

From within WOSQI, search for, and install Preware to the Pre. Also install Impostah or do so from within Preware on the device. With those two apps, you now have the ability to do just about anything to your device. Follow the pertinent instructions.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the responses - and the tips.
    Yes, I did try to download first w/out checking for java, which I didn't have and have since downloaded.
    Second attempt at download seems to have worked, but when I click the Install button, it just sits there on my desktop.
    I did put the phone in Dev mode and restarted it, connected the usb, put in Chg only mode and installed Novacom.
    Clicked on Install button, and the system still just sits there - apparently doing nothing.
    So with or w/out the phone connected to the computer, WebOSQI doesn't seem to want to install/run.
    What am I doing wrong??
    Second attempt at download seems to have worked, but when I click the Install button, it just sits there on my desktop.

Clicked on Install button, and the system still just sits there - apparently doing nothing.
    So with or w/out the phone connected to the computer, WebOSQI doesn't seem to want to install/run.
    Theres no install process for WOSQI. Its a Java app/runtime and should just run once clicked on. Not sure if its properly associated w/ Java on the system or if Java itself is the problem (not necessary for JRE but give the PC a reboot anyway).

Does the file have the Java icon on it? It should and that indicates that the system recognizes it as a Java runtime. If there's no icon on it, then the file was possibly damaged through the download process (IE will sometimes do that to you; try again or use another browser like Firefox).

If you're certain the downloaded WOSQI file is good, copy it to another PC w/ Java and see what happens.

The fact that its not running or presenting any errors suggest that its PC- related. The OS, Java itself, or WOSQI should display something. Double check the system (Control Panel => Programs and Features or Add/Remove Programs in Windows) and be certain that only one Java or JRE is installed (version 7 update 25). 32-bit always works from my experience.
    Last edited by p41m3r; 07/26/2013 at 11:48 PM.
  8.    #8  
    OK, so after reading a couple other posts, I clicked on the Globe (refresh?) icon.
    Just as the other poster said, suddenly there was a list of apps and 7 other tabs in the box.
    Chose Impostah from the app list, clicked install and it's now on the phone - so far so good.
    Although I noticed that, now that it's on the phone, it's no longer on my computer - it's not in the list of apps anymore.
    Is this normal?

I'm now reading about the app to try to understand how to erase the Dr SF profile w/out getting myself into another problem.
    The first line of the description says it all; 'Impostah is an app for those who know what do to with it.' - and I obviously don't, so I have more reading to do.

Any advice on what to do - or possibly Not to do, is appreciated.
  9.    #9  
    Hi p41m3r,
    Thanks much for the post, and the detailed instructions for downloading Impostah - Very helpful.
    I saw your last post after I posted mine about using the Globe (refresh?) icon.
    Although I posted mine not long after you posted yours, the system still hadn't displayed it when I checked 2 hrs later.
    Is this SOP?

I found two Options for Dr SF; one seems to override it, the other (more advanced?) seems to erase it.

Option 1: Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | webOS Nation
    Option 2: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-pre...d-firstuse.htm (not sure this is a 'newbie' friendly option, 'command line'??).

Option 1, the 2nd step details erasing the phone's profile, but assumes that you already have a Palm Profile (server/cloud?) created. Not sure if following these steps will allow me to Create a profile from the phone.

The phone is brand new - still boots showing the Palm logo, Not Hp's logo. Whatever update changed this has Not been done - don't know if this makes any difference.
    There's literally nothing on the phone, so Resetting the phone is not a problem.
    My goal is to Erase Dr SF, and not end up w/ it as a tandem profile, which apparently can happen.

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate the help.
    Although I noticed that, now that it's on the phone, it's no longer on my computer - it's not in the list of apps anymore.
    Is this normal?
    I believe thats normal until you quit/restart WOSQI.

Although I posted mine not long after you posted yours, the system still hadn't displayed it when I checked 2 hrs later.
    Is this SOP?
    Not sure; could be a browser cache issue. Try refreshing the browser page or tab before posting to see if anything has changed.

I found two Options for Dr SF; one seems to override it, the other (more advanced?) seems to erase it.
    Im aware of two command line options that would either bypass First Use (and reboot the phone into the UI) or reset First Use (and reboot back to the activation screen to sign in). I havent used either option so I cant speak of the results.

What I did (about 2 years ago so details are a bit fuzzy) was bypass First Use then setup a new profile using Impostah (under the Activation scene). Once the profile was created I rebooted then reset the Palm profile (Palm Profile scene). After another reboot, I logged in again and used Impostah to remove the Dr. SF account (Accounts scene). I think thats all there is to it.

If the device has no data or HP profile its almost impossible to go wrong. A mess-up can be fixed by a full erase or a doctor.
    I think you're using WOSQI wrong. The globe button opens up a similar list to what you would get in Preware. Go ahead and locate Preware, along with Impostah. Install it on that interface. Then on your device, open the date and time settings, disable network time, and set the date back before July 23. Apparently date doesn't matter. That will allow you to use the old Palm Web Services certificate to sign in. Then go through the instructions with Impostah to install your webOS Account.