Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    After months of refusing to pay $50 a month to Vodafone for the privilege of receiving one email a day, I finally found a phone company where data is virtually free, so at last I can switch my data usage back on and enjoy the internet and email on my Pre 2.

Having just bought my mum a Samsung Galaxy Y phone with an excellent Sat-Nav navigator built-in, I feel I'm missing out.

What I'd like to know is if there is an app out there with turn-by-turn navigation for the Pre? Something like this:

I've already got Jan 72ka's Google Maps, but that only allows me a birds eye view downwards, ie satellite view.
    I looked at Ndrive's offerings previously but they were expensive, and their UK package in WebOS apps has a dead link.
    http://www.webosnation.com/ndrive-uk-ireland
    You can download Ndrive beta and buy maps from the app itself. Look for beta6 after installing app Tuckerbox.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    ananimus likes this.
    I find NAVIT (free) to be entirely satisfactory.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It's good but putting in an address to navigate to can be a pain.

One thing I don't like about Ndrive though is that when you arrive at your destination it doesn't show you the house number you were looking for.

5.    #5  
    Thanks guys. I just ruled out Ndrive, as there's that nasty swear word "pay" involved.

I am looking at Navit, but I've run into an installation problem, and there isn't much help on this.

I've installed Navit on my Pre with Preware, and also the map downloader. I did intend to download the map for the UK directly from the map downloader in Preware, but not at 450mb when my credit limit is 150mb.

So I went to Navit: Planet Extractor (Navit :: Planet Extractor) and downloaded the UK map from there, but it's in a .bin format and I can't find any reference to where to put/install that to, as the WebOS wiki Navit page (Application:Navit - WebOS Internals) only mentions dem.map and smpX.smp folders, and I ain't got any of them.

I've got Navit up and running on my Pre 2 (2.2.4) but obviously without any map, just sand-coloured nothingness!

Would really like to know how to install this, as it looks promising.
    Can you not connect to wifi to get the maps and be on your way?

7.    #7  
    No, I'm in a residential area with no wifi of my own. Not entirely sure even if I had wifi access, where I'd stand on my 150mb data download limit.
    Was hoping I could download the map (as I seem to have done) and install it to the Pre via the USB cable.
    I've used the planet extractor before and used the usb I just forgot what directory to put it in. It's been a few years. Honestly though Ndrive was worth it to me. I even migrated my license to my new phone. It's good to have a backup navigation app that doesn't need data.

9.    #9  
    Yeah, the issue I'm going to have is whatever I install/load, has to be installed via the usb method or WebOSQI, as I'm gonna run up against this data limit if I try to download whatever via Preware or OTA. That's where I figured Navit would work, as I could download the relevant map to my pc and then somehow transfer it to the Pre. It's just I can't figure out where I'm supposed to put it.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    It's good but putting in an address to navigate to can be a pain.

One thing I don't like about Ndrive though is that when you arrive at your destination it doesn't show you the house number you were looking for.

yeah im using NAVIT more and more now, i also tried the android navit on my 6" android phone but found its far too damned big tbh to be comfortable, so my pre3 stays as my satnav.

navit is also handy as you can literally draw out a chunk of map and save whatever you selected, this means i have a chunk of England/Scotland i often travel through and did not include Wales/Ireland and westerly parts of england as i never go there, keeping my map download nice and trim.

Navit :: Planet Extractor

use the above link to make a mapchunk you want and save it to your phone, but yes i fully agree NAVIT's method for finding an address is quite poor, narrowing down an address from name/street no etc often is quite frustrating as it assumes youve done some research beforehand and know where your going, in reality id want to enter a postcode/zip first then narrow down street/house no afterwards.

thats pretty much the only bad mark i have against navit, shame its quite an important thing, but still the navigation itsself works amazingly well, even the robotic sounding voice is perfectly acceptable, ive also tried the google/other alternatives on android phones and even my paired ipad and didnt really like those, some of them imho try too hard, or offer far too much or like Sygic/Waze ended up just being a pain to operate/setup.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  11.    #11  
    Yes, save it to your phone somewhere, then what?
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM99 View Post
    Yeah, the issue I'm going to have is whatever I install/load, has to be installed via the usb method or WebOSQI, as I'm gonna run up against this data limit if I try to download whatever via Preware or OTA. That's where I figured Navit would work, as I could download the relevant map to my pc and then somehow transfer it to the Pre. It's just I can't figure out where I'm supposed to put it.
    you can use the navit map app or as i prefer just aquire the mapchunk you require, often saving you heaps of storage space.

use Navit :: Planet Extractor to aquire the mapchunk you want (my required chunk is only 400mb), should end up with a .bin file you save to your PC, now attach your pre and enter usb mode.

Copy the .bin file to /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/maps, eject the pre and now run navit and your ready to go.

that easy.

i used the wiki @ http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Application:Navit initially but i think a fair chunk is out of date? the above does work however.
  13.    #13  
    I've done that, put it in the same place as suggested, but I just get Navit loading but without the map.

I was able to open and run Google Map and that was perfect, so I know the phone was getting a gps fix.
    I've done that, put it in the same place as suggested, but I just get Navit loading but without the map.

I was able to open and run Google Map and that was perfect, so I know the phone was getting a gps fix.
    waited for a gps lock and entered a destination? i think it stays blank until its got something to work with first, after that it starts showing the last destination instead of blank on launch?

when navit has a gps lock it shows a green signal meter top right, also google maps doesnt wait for gps, if you have an active wifi signal it will use wifi to identify where you are instead of gps.

would be handy if someone else did something different to me to get navit working, maybe i missed a step or a setting inside navit?
  15.    #15  
    I waited for a gps lock but I think 5 minutes is an exceptionally long time to wait, and I didn't get one. I was getting 5 green bars in the top right hand corner of Navit, but no map.
    I noticed from Configuration Configuration - Navit's Wiki it mentions about adding
    <mapset>
    <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/path/to/your/map/osm_bbox.bin" />
    </mapset>

to the Navit.xml file. Only problem is I'm not entirely sure how to enter the path to this, as it is technically my pre and in the pre it's /appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/maps

Dunno. The whole thing is guesswork, which it really shouldn't have to be. The least they can do is put installation instructions up.
  16.    #16  
    This is what I'm getting. 5 green bars, which you insist is a gps lock. But no map showing.

Turn on the option to use Google location it makes GPS work much better.

18.    #18  
    Sorry, you just spoke Swahili to me. Turn on Google location.... where would I find that? Google Maps already works, so I presume it's already on.

The problem is Navit isn't seeing the map, unless I've read it wrong.
    I waited for a gps lock but I think 5 minutes is an exceptionally long time to wait, and I didn't get one. I was getting 5 green bars in the top right hand corner of Navit, but no map.
    I noticed from Configuration Configuration - Navit's Wiki it mentions about adding
    <mapset>
    <map type="binfile" enabled="yes" data="/path/to/your/map/osm_bbox.bin" />
    </mapset>

to the Navit.xml file. Only problem is I'm not entirely sure how to enter the path to this, as it is technically my pre and in the pre it's /appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/maps

Dunno. The whole thing is guesswork, which it really shouldn't have to be. The least they can do is put installation instructions up.
    ah yeah nice catch, you edit mapset.xml in the same folder as the .bin file, your path is correct but missing the full part, you need the /media/internal beforehand as well.

so in my case its /media/internal/appdata/org.webosinternals.navit/maps/osm_bbox_-10.0,50.7,1.7,58.8.bin

give that a try (with your own .bin filename ofc not mine), sorry for the inaccurate info, its been a while since i did it.
  20.    #20  
    ok I'll try adding that and come back to you
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast