Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NickM99 View Post
    ok I'll try adding that and come back to you
    i think mapset.xml should have all the info in there already and just needs the data= part changed.
    Touchpad Keyboard Themes - >> Click Me <<
  2.    #22  
    Hang on, which one do I edit, mapset.xml and/or Navit.xml?
    Hang on, which one do I edit, mapset.xml and/or Navit.xml?
    try just mapset.xml
  4.    #24  
    Right, success of sorts. I added that stuff about the maps location into mapset and Navit.xml and at last I have the map show up, and it sort of shows my location, but facing the wrong way, which doesn't change no matter what I do. if I turn, run, walk or move away from that, it still shows me standing in the one place facing east.
    odd.

Also, I've discovered there's a button that doesn't function. It's either too close to, or does the same as 2D view.
    On top of that, if I go into it and select town, there's a green tick to press to the right. But when I try to enter the street, there's nothing, so you can't enter the street address.

On the whole, I'm not that impressed with Navit. Having seen what came with mum's Samsung yesterday, this falls a long way short. But I thank you for all your help. Wouldn't have got this far without you.

if you got in a car an moved, it will (well, should) orient correctly, also there are various settings to change your profile/vehicle type to say bike or pedestrian, never tried them before tho, theres also the "rules" setting to check out, stuff liek "lock onto road", "map follows car" etc.

ill agree navit doesnt "look" epic, but when your on the move and using it, it works well enough.
  6.    #26  
    I have just discovered that entering the town and street now works by auto-adding a dropdown box with the town, and the same for the street, so that works.

Hans Oberlander did ask me to turn around and try again, but I've noticed the voice button automatically mutes itself (odd).
    It's certainly sort of working, and something I'll have to do bit of driving to see how good it is.
    yup inserting your actual destination can be a pita, onec you have it tho u can set it as a bookmark or you can just select former destinations.
  8.    #28  
    Thanks for all your help Peter.

Just from playing around with it, I don't find the dropdown boxes to select destination that bad. Now if it had been a case of typing in the whole address, that would be a pain.

It seems if you change the orientation of the Pre, it switches off the voice, so at least I found that out before I needed to.
    I need to get out and do some travelling with it and see how it does, but so far, sort of good.
    Again thanks, wouldn't have got it without you.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    It's good but putting in an address to navigate to can be a pain.

One thing I don't like about Ndrive though is that when you arrive at your destination it doesn't show you the house number you were looking for.

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk II
    Set up Navit as a Just Type option, then type address and select Navit as your search application.
    Or use Jan's gogle maps, which I think you said you already have and do route with Navit. I find this more elegant as I'm not always sure what navit maps app is selecting....and the button that does "noting' actually zooms out and shows you the whole route on the map once you have selected destination. No way to zoom back in but once you start driving and auto zoom is on it'll do exactly this. Navit is great for POI as it's crowd sourced.
  11.    #31  
    Thanks 60RH. Navit seems to work great. I haven't had a chance to go anywhere to test it - that's tomorrow morning's task when I'm out - but it's definitely loading fine and finding where I'm at.

Unlike others, I find selecting destination town and street is fine for me. I only have to type in the first 4 letters and it auto-fills with a dropdown selection.

Not sure I'd run Navit alongside any other app, as I've noticed the Pre's battery life isn't exactly fantastic and believe it or not, I've had to charge my Pre at least twice today! Either Navit's quite heavy on juice, or my battery isn't as good as I thought it was.

I did eventually find that other button zoomed out, after many instances of it going into 2D view. I think it only zooms out to the journey view once you've actually programmed in your destination.

All in all, great. My only query with it is the volume - it's quite low even with the Pre's volume up loud and I wonder how anyone would hear it from in front of the steering wheel and over engine/road noise.
    Thanks 60RH. Navit seems to work great. I haven't had a chance to go anywhere to test it - that's tomorrow morning's task when I'm out - but it's definitely loading fine and finding where I'm at.

Unlike others, I find selecting destination town and street is fine for me. I only have to type in the first 4 letters and it auto-fills with a dropdown selection.

Not sure I'd run Navit alongside any other app, as I've noticed the Pre's battery life isn't exactly fantastic and believe it or not, I've had to charge my Pre at least twice today! Either Navit's quite heavy on juice, or my battery isn't as good as I thought it was.

I did eventually find that other button zoomed out, after many instances of it going into 2D view. I think it only zooms out to the journey view once you've actually programmed in your destination.

All in all, great. My only query with it is the volume - it's quite low even with the Pre's volume up loud and I wonder how anyone would hear it from in front of the steering wheel and over engine/road noise.
    i believe if you use the volume buttons with navit running it only changes your ringtone volume, try running the music or video app and maxing the volume when thats running as this will increase the media volume (close the app when volume is set), its the media volume that navit uses for the voiced directions.
    you'll need touchstone in your car!
    GPS is power hungry and navit is using vectoring for the maps so it does some heavy calculations. You can see sometimes when pre struggles to do it on time.
    navit sux for USA addresses but it's open street maps as the maps are not by state and you can have multiple cities with the same name but navit doesn't know their state. I hope Nortadux (sp?) and the other guys that support this since I'm interested in the speech dispatcher service. I use the caller I'd patch and find it handy.
  14.    #34  
    Well, tried Navit out today and I have to say I'm impressed. It worked a treat and also gave me route corrections if I deviated, which I hadn't expected.
    Volume was just about audible, despite putting music player's volume to max. I still hope Navit make adjustable volume/up the volume a bit, a future edit.
    at least its working now, may not be as slick as others but imho its perfectly functional.
    Global Posts
    134 Global Posts
    Actually, you can adjust volume from within Navit; just do it while Navit is speaking.
    has anyone tried installing and using the Sprint Nav ipk -
    1) on a non-Sprint phone, and/or
    2) outside of USA

being that the package installs with WOSQI as an ipk (link to which is easily found on this site), and uses GPS or Google svcs for your location, can the Sprint Nav app be installed in situations other than the typical, Sprint USA network??

just wondering if anyone has tried it, because I find that navigational app to be really very easy to operate.
    Well, tried Navit out today and I have to say I'm impressed. It worked a treat and also gave me route corrections if I deviated, which I hadn't expected.
    Volume was just about audible, despite putting music player's volume to max. I still hope Navit make adjustable volume/up the volume a bit, a future edit.
    The best way is to run the audio through your car stereo - using the bluetooth audio interface to the car is best if you have a car with that (though it too sucks power). With modern bluetooth enabled cars with built-in mics, the phone remains fully able to process calls.

A less slick way is to take the feed out the Pre's audio jack to either a line level audio in jack on the car (common on vehicles and radios from 5 years ago) or even to an audio cassette adapter. This is a bit of a mess should you receive a call while plugged in as you will hear the caller but they will not hear you until you unplug. The Pre's headphone jack can also become stuck such that it doesn't recognize when you've unplugged it - there are various ways to "unstick" it should this happen (including simply using a slightly more robust headphone jack like a Blackberry headphone) but this usually only occurs once every 50x's. I use a headphone adapter to cassette deck adapter in my old hybrid car and bluetooth in my new one and vastly prefer the bluetooth arrangement but you work with what you've got.

In the hybrids, while on electric-only drive a low speeds, the Pre's speakerphone is sufficient. Out on the freeway, the air turbulence raises the background ambient too much to make the Pre's built-in speakerphone intelligible. In my experience, high winds, heavy rains or even a full blast defogger running will also outshout the Pre unless you run it through the car stereo.

I do a lot of driving in my job. I've listened to thousands of hours of podcasts with Dr. Podder/Guttenpodder, and use Sprint Nav (or my new hybrid's onboard nav) when I am in a coverage area and Navit when I drive outside it (which is for Sprint is almost all of rural California, including the northern forests, the coastline, the Sierras, etc). I used to keep my old Treo in the trunk loaded with TomTom maps for when I drove out of Sprint Nav's range. Since I began to use Navit on the Pre, I no longer need to lug the Treo around. It has improved a lot over the last couple of years and aside from the funky address entry interface and the glitches in OpenMaps for US cities, it works great.

For power, you are going to need to plug it into the car for a trip of any reasonable length. Unlike telephone usage, where the screen blank between calls, in GPS usage, the screen is on, the GPS locator is running, the audio is running and the processor is updating your current map location and re-routing on the fly. This all takes power and will quickly drain even a 2300 mAh battery on a multihour trip. Either only run Navit in the areas you are unsure of, or plug it into the car using a cigarette lighter to USB adapter, or in a new car, a direct USB port. When plugged into an external power source, the screen can remain fully lit, which is useful when driving in daylight.

Good luck and go out and enjoy your new navigator tool.
  19.    #39  
    Thanks PeterMac and Briest, yes as you've said, volume adjust actually only takes effect if you do it while Navit is speaking, and I've found this is great - I've now got the volume at a level I can actually hear.

Navit's perfect, just what I was looking for. I only wish I'd done this months ago. Thanks guys.
    honestly, IMHO navit sucks compared to ndrive. Worth every penny you pay for the maps...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast