Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    After installing 72ka’s Google Maps as well as the TorchLED app onto a stock 2.1 Pre2 via Preware, I am unable to connect to the internet and unable to make calls. Appears to have full signal bars but no 3g icon. On very rare occasion I will be able to. No recognizable pattern. The error messages vary between "no internet connection; please enable networking", something about not being able to connect to "com.palm.telephony", to "no lines available".

Twice, I have used Doctor to wipe it back to 2.1 and the problem hasn’t gone away.

Assuming it was hardware/ribbon related, and with a new Pre2 being only $50, I purchased a brand new one. Annnnd I just hosed by trying to install Google Maps and the Torch LED apps via QuickInstall. Awesome. Kinda pissed.

The strange thing is... the performance (or lack there of) is not consistent. I just took the old Pre2 and manually flashed the modem firmware to see if that would help. Extracted it from the WebOS Doctor for Verizon Pre2 2.1.0 (which I previously used to Doctor the phone... i know, like this had any chance of working if doctoring it didn't...). Flash successful. Still unable to place calls, e.g., Verizon’s *228 (Phone Offline).

SOOOO Gurus, any ideas? Why is the modem failing?

Quick Install lists the Modem Type: Version 1.0.1.9 Castle 2010 Oct...
    Modem Firmware: Input/output error)!
    Ope: Prt /dev/modemdiag Failed(2=No such...

I have now Doctored the brand new phone back to 2.0.1.
    WebOS QuickInstall now lists...
    Modem: CDMA
    Firmware:RC1.7(557)
    MEID: [long hex number]

Phone still doesn’t work.
    Now installing 2.1.0 over wifi via Verizon. Fingers crossed...

Firmware now listed as:RC1.8(595)

Still not functioning. Attempting to browse internet via 3G-> "No Internet Connection". Also unable to use phone app. Icons in top right rotate randomly between nothing, full bars, 1 bar, 1x+Bars, 3G+bars.

What is there on a phone that Doctor doesn't re-image/restore? What can I do here???
    Perhaps some manual radio control apps? Is there something else in the phone that is getting screwed up by these apps or their prereqs>?

An old phone AND a brand new phone!!!! wtf.
    Last edited by pShore; 07/17/2013 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling.
    What is the PRL?

Device Info->More Info->
    For a Verizon Pre2 you should see:
    Model: P102EWW
    Carrier: Verizon
    RC1.8(595) (From Verizon webOS 2.1.0 build 124)
    MSID your #
    MEID your #
    PRL 53184 (is the most current, just did a *22891 this morning)
    NAI your#@vzw3g.com

*22899 is update NAM and *22891 is update PRL, or you can type *228 wait for the prompt and type 1 or 2.

Do you have USB PassThru invoked?

I have seen the Phone Offline, but only right after an PRL/NAM update, or a QPST Restore/Backup, it seems to wake up, I have heard others modem firmware fail...

When you doctored, can you get the log and attach to post, then we can see when it updated the Modem firmware that the firmware did not fail... I do not remember where it defaults to, but it does create a log during doctoring (unless you run command line java -jar nameofdoctor.jar, then you can capture the output as well)...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    [...]

I have seen the Phone Offline, but only right after an PRL/NAM update, or a QPST Restore/Backup, it seems to wake up, I have heard others modem firmware fail...

[...]
    On an unrelated note, i've seen "Phone Offline" after rebooting a Pre+ in airplane mode, all radios off
  4.    #4  
    Hi, thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, Remy, the answer isn't so simple. Cycling airplane mode was one of my first efforts days ago. I also tried manually installing new modem firmware via n-whatever console (coulda told you 4 beers ago) after pulling the cdmafw.tar out of the doctor .jar. No dice. The output even exactly matched the one in the guide/post re:corrupted firmware... except the name of the fire (his was a spring I think...).

Procedure that has seemed to work with the new broken phone (but still no Google Maps app):
    1. Doctor back to verizon 2.0.1
    2. Verizon system update to 2.1 over wifi
    3. be really annoyed for some time
    4. install preware via QuickInstall
    5. install emergency recovery kernel 2.1 via preware over wifi

Boom. works. someone who knows more about the inner workings of these phones able to explain that too me? what is in the kernel that wouldn't have been fixed by Doctor? Is the verizon 2.1 Pre2 doctor broken?

BTW... I still don't have google maps. Maybe i'll get around to teasing out exactly what is associated with the modem failure and restoration... using my old pre2.

PRL of both the old (still doesn't work) and new (seems to work after kernal install) is 53184. What is PRL?
    Last edited by pShore; 07/17/2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: trimmed the quote
    Quote Originally Posted by pShore View Post
    Hi, thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, Remy, the answer isn't so simple. Cycling airplane mode was one of my first efforts days ago.
    [...]
    Sorry, that wasn't directed at you.

Good to hear that you had some success with at least one of the phones.

When you're saying that the problem starts when you install LED Torch and Google Maps, i'm inclined to think that Torch could be the problem, since it's hacked together to access a device that isn't normally available to other apps. Google Maps on the other hand is 100% Mojo (javascript)

Wish you the best of luck with the other phone...

I've just thought of something.... have you tried swapping commboards and doctoring the broken phone's commboard in the working phone? I could be way off on this one, but sometimes a even wild guess can yield some results
    Quote Originally Posted by pShore View Post
    What is PRL?
    Preferred Roaming List...

But it is more then just for roaming, it informs the modem on where to find the cell towers, which towers it can talk to...

I have seen my phone cycle from EVDO, to 1X, to Phone Offline when I am in a dead zone, it seems to cycle the modem to try to find the cell towers.

There are other settings that one can change as part of the modem (QPST, Hash Codes), that will stay even after a doctor that could cause a Phone Offline...

For instance if you used ##EVDO# and you forced your phone to a mode that the cell tower you are near does not like, you will loose signal and cycle to Phone Offline (at least I do when I tested this).
    Last edited by John Steffes; 07/18/2013 at 07:23 AM.
    Remy X likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    Preferred Roaming List...

But it is more then just for roaming, it informs the modem on where to find the cell towers, which towers it can talk to...

I have seen my phone cycle from EVDO, to 1X, to Phone Offline when I am in a dead zone, it seems to cycle the modem to try to find the cell towers.

There are other settings that one can change as part of the modem (QPST, Hash Codes), that will stay even after a doctor that could cause a Phone Offline...

For instance if you used ##EVDO# and you forced your phone to a mode that the cell tower you are near does not like, you will loose signal and cycle to Phone Offline (at least I do when I tested this).
    John, I could def see how that could have been a factor. Unfortunately the working and busted phone have the same PRL. I will try to doctor>OTA update the broken phone tonight. If nothing else, I have an entire phone's worth of spare parts and a great wifi device for home.
    Maybe I'm not aware, but why 2.1? Why not go with 2.2.4?

Phone isn't unlocked?

Does Verizon require locked phones?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Maybe I'm not aware, but why 2.1? Why not go with 2.2.4?

Phone isn't unlocked?

Does Verizon require locked phones?
    By default, unless one uses my meta doctor scripts to build a doctor...

webOS 2.2.4 only works on WR/unlocked Pre2's, not Verizon Model Pre2's.

The last webOS Pre2 Verizon Doctor is webOS 2.1.0.
    i have also stopped using LED Torch, because IIRC it requires and installs two other packages to function, and i suspect one of them is not playing nice with others.

the last two times I ran the meta-sprint-franken-verizon 2.1.0 doctor (which i'm about to do again today) i noticed in the console window some "warnings" that certain files were unavailable. i'll try to copy that if i can. i don't know if they're related, but since we're both pulling info from the VZN 2.1. Dr, it might be a clue.