07/08/2013, 11:25 AM
I've been working with a friend's Pre 2 that he inadvertently left out in the rain one night (it was not immersed). The unit bascially ended up being stuck in USB Download Mode or Recovery Mode (same thing?) with the display taken over by the big USB symbol immediately after every startup attempt. Word has it that a stuck Up volume button can cause this.
After searching high and low, I ran across this thread ( Recovery Mode leave ) that offered a way of booting the phone using Novacom. I was able to do this, and indeed (among other things) the volume Up button appears to not be working, so I have to figure out a way to un-stick it.
There are more issues here, which I'll get into, but as far as the volume button, if I douse it with contact cleaner and work it heavily, should I expect it to regain proper function? I have taken a Pre Plus apart before, so I think getting more down into the components themselve would be doable in this case, but ultimately it might take a new part, so maybe getting a parts phone (unless there's a source for the actual button) might be in order.
Other than this however, once it's booted, the phone's behavior is pretty strange. The main keyboard doesn't seem to work at all, except for one instance the absolute first time I got it started, to test the X key, which I read might have the same effect as the Up volume key if it was stuck. It worked briefly when I tested it, but using Memo or any other text entry app (any kind of message) the keyboard doesn't do a thing.
Also, the phone will go through periods where it appears to be acting nomally, then I'll select something and it'll go through a serious lag before completing, for instance, just a screen selection. Plus the phone part seems weird, at least as far as the signal indictator shows. It'll show 0 to 1 bar of signal, when other phones on the same carrier are up near maximum.
The battery seems to be draining abnormally fast as well.
So I'm wondering if something like this is indicative of the hardware (things like ribbon connectors) needing to be "refreshed" by disassembling and moving it around (to restore proper connections), or if it's more a software/firmware thing and it just needs to be Doctored.
Like I said, it was not immersed, and the volume Up button is definitely not working, but it's showing other symptoms. This was a fairly new-ish, unused for very long device, so it doesn't have lot of time on it.
Thanks for any tips or advice.