1.    #1  
    I'm looking at switching from a palm pre plus to a palm pre 2(I know outdated but it fits my needs). I'm wondering if it's compatible with any service provider I choose and what are the differences, good or bad , I can expect with switching from the plus to #2. Thanks
    The Pre2 comes in both CDMA (Verizon) and GSM versions and has a much faster processor as well as a newer version of webOS. The downside is that the Pre2 has a truly broken GPS functionality on Verizon and the screen is glass rather than the shatter-resistant plastic of the Pre+/-

In terms of the screen, the old plastic version is more prone to scratches and not exactly readable through polarized sunglasses, while the glass screen can obviously shatter and is much more expensive to replace...
    The glass for me was a plus, it looks nicer, and it is gorilla glass i believe, which is more scratch resistant. As for shattering, dropping anything too much/too hard will break something. As for expense, Pre prices have dropped pretty low AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $Saw$ $a$ $couple$ $2$'$s$ $on$ $craigslist$ $in$ $my$ $region$ $for$ $$20$-$30$.

There are two variants as Remy X said. The CDMA is Verizon only, so no Sprint (without hacking and an already-activated Sprint Pre)
    And the Unlocked GSM model can be used on any GSM network that allows it. So AT&T? Sure. T-Mobile? Check. Vodafone? Uh-huh. and so on. But CDMA networks (e.g. VZW, Sprint) are more common in the US and won't work.

The Pre2 is generally built better and expect webOS 2.x, which comes with it. (Unless you hacked your Pre+ to run webOS 2)

It's generally the same in terms of hardware, but a bit more tightened up here and there. Speedier with a faster processor and a bit better camera. (Still not the best by a long shot)

The screen is flat instead of rounded which isn't much of a problem unless you use one of those slide cases, which might be bit of a squeeze since the 2 is less rounded around the screen.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
  4.    #4  
    Thanks to all for the info. A couple more questions.....does the Palm pre 2 also have the hot spot function as does the Plus? and what about the physical dimensions of the Pre 2...are they the same or close to that of the Plus? This is one of my favorite features of the Pre, its size, because it still fits in my pocket. Unlike many of the newer phones that seem so large and bulky. Thanks
    The Pre2 is the same size as the first two generations and uses some of the same components, such as back covers, batteries and comm boards. Even the old screens are usable with the Pre2 (just to illustrate the degree of reusability)...

The Hotspot app is gone, and you'll have to make do with a homebrew solution, MyFreeTether, which has a tiny bit of bugs...

And as I mentioned, the VZW Navigator fix that people have used for precise GPS on Verizon, no longer works once you upgrade to the Pre2...
  6.    #6  
    Thanks Remy. Is it true though that the Palm pre 3 does have the hotspot feature? And any other info good vs. bad you want to share in regards to the Palm pre 3 would be appreciated. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Thanks Remy. Is it true though that the Palm pre 3 does have the hotspot feature? And any other info good vs. bad you want to share in regards to the Palm pre 3 would be appreciated. Thanks
    My unlocked GSM Pre 2 had the Hotspot app

but anyways, the Pre3 is quite the upgrade, but the VZW variant is extremely rare.

This makes for a good hardware comparison Palm Pre 2 vs. HP Pre 3: what's changed?
    TL;DR, its faster under-the-hood, has a larger, sharper display, better camera (auto-focus equipped I believe)
    but memory is a bit more constrained than the Pre2. Although I don't know firsthand.

I'd go for it, but finding it and ponying up the cash compared to the 2 is a bit of a problem.
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    @xandros, I was talking about Verizon, but yeah, thanks for pointing it out. I wonder if it's possible to extract that Hotspot and config from the row/unlocked doctor and use it for Verizon Pre2 instead of MyFreeTether...