Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By 60RH
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I have a Pre 2 on the way off Ebay. I am on Verizon using a Lumia 822 and coming back to WebOs for a while. I was an early adopter of the Pre Plus and used homebrew and overclocked it, etc. I love WebOs.

What is first thing I should do to my Pre 2? Please point me to any threads that will be helpful. I have looked some but, honestly, either I have forgotten a lot in 2 years or it is more complicated than before 'cause I am not sure where to start. And will I need to do Homebrew to get a decent amount of apps, patches, etc?

I use mainly email, messaging, facebook, music(streaming and local), podcasts, calendar, news readers, GPS and maps. Is it safe to assume I cannot upload pics/docs to Skydrive from Pre. Is Dropbox my option for that?
    Will I be forced to leave the MS/Windows ecosystem?

thanks all,

TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeb omus View Post
    Hi,
    I have a Pre 2 on the way off Ebay. I am on Verizon using a Lumia 822 and coming back to WebOs for a while. I was an early adopter of the Pre Plus and used homebrew and overclocked it, etc. I love WebOs.

What is first thing I should do to my Pre 2? Please point me to any threads that will be helpful. I have looked some but, honestly, either I have forgotten a lot in 2 years or it is more complicated than before 'cause I am not sure where to start. And will I need to do Homebrew to get a decent amount of apps, patches, etc?

I use mainly email, messaging, facebook, music(streaming and local), podcasts, calendar, news readers, GPS and maps. Is it safe to assume I cannot upload pics/docs to Skydrive from Pre. Is Dropbox my option for that?

thanks all,

TB
    I am still testing my update to the super scripts (For cert updates)...

But build a meta doctor for Verizon for webOS 2.2.4, otherwise you will be stuck at stock webOS 2.1.0 (last released from Verizon/HP/Palm)...
    horzel, Remy X and Rnp like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
    I am still testing my update to the super scripts (For cert updates)...

But build a meta doctor for Verizon for webOS 2.2.4, otherwise you will be stuck at stock webOS 2.1.0 (last released from Verizon/HP/Palm)...
    I second that. With the update you'll get Skype

After this is done and you get your phone activated, load Preware and all of the usual stuff... and then just enjoy it
    Rnp likes this.
    Hi,

thanks all,

TB
    About skydrive there's a paid app in the app cat called Hi SkyDrive and seems to have good reviews.
    Rnp likes this.
    I've never owned a Pre2 (yet) per say, but the first thing I did with my Pre+ was overclock it. All other patches and hacks came later. I've heard that the safest limit in which to OC the Pre2 is to 1.2ghz, but other posters should be able to verify that. But yeah, install preware, Govnah and get hack-happy!!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 60RH View Post
    About skydrive there's a paid app in the app cat called Hi SkyDrive and seems to have good reviews.
    Thanks... is the App Cat different based on OS version or Homebrew or not?
    I checked on my daughters Pixi and could not find Hi Skydrive. maybe I just missed it.
    I believe that Hi Skydrive is only to Touchpad...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I believe that Hi Skydrive is only to Touchpad...

Best Regards...
    Actually the author added TP support in v 1.0.3.
    SkyDrive
    https://developer.palm.com/appredire...align.skydrive

It's for webOS 2.1.0 and 2.2.4 phones and 3.x TouchPad. so if your daughter's pixi is not on 2.1+ that would be the reason for the app not to show.
    Thanks... is the App Cat different based on OS version or Homebrew or not?
    I checked on my daughters Pixi and could not find Hi Skydrive. maybe I just missed it.
    webOS v. 2.1+ if the pixi is on 1.4.5 that would explain it why it's not showing there.
    Hi,

thanks all,

TB
    Hey I also had a L822! You should slap Preware on that sucker and
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    ahaha, im going the opposite way, probably getting my Lumia 820 in a few
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thanks all for the ideas. Here is my take after getting the Pre 2.
    Webos is still awesome, although WP8(and others) have caught up some by copying similar features(cards, synergy, etc). They are not quite as good at it(closing a app on WP8 is ridiculous, but they claim no need to close it at all), but it is there. Customization and homebrew of the Pre is great too. The screen resolution is fine, but the camera just does not match up to what Nokia and others are doing(not surprising given the age of the phone)
    Surprisingly, I did find myself missing the live tiles. Limited choice of apps is not a major issue for me, but some of the best apps to me are the Nokia exclusives (Music, Blink, Smart Shoot,Drive, etc.)
    Turns out I use my camera far more than I realized. By the way, the camera on the Pre 2 is faster than the Nokia, but(as expected)nowhere close to the quality. I guess since it does not have to focus.
    I still really like the Pre 2 form factor, build quality is much better than Pre Plus, and easy to carry, etc. If this had been the first Pre it may have caught on. But man did the screen seem small when I picked it up the first time.

But the kicker is the GPS, Lumia is right on every time(even gets signal when my wife's Garmin will not) where the Pre 2 was spotty to say the least.

I will likely be back with the Lumia, but will enjoy this stroll down memory lane a little longer. I would love to see Webos on a Nokia or other current hardware/ phone.
    thanks,
    TB

WEll, I will