Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    more recent update: it seems the network settings update and PRL update I performed on the Sprint comm board (by putting it back into its original Pre- w/ 1.4.5) has made a huge improvement. I HAVE had to bump the song forward on Pandora, but only a couple times in a week. Not 10x a day, every day, like it was before. So I do recommend a network update to any Sprint-ified Pre2s that are exhibiting tx/rx issues. The summary of this thread is that i've got an updated comm board i'm most likely going to plug into a newly acquired, much "younger" GSM Pre2 and create FrankenPre2 #3! bwahahahahaha (lightning, thunder)
    update: if you hate reading long posts, but would still like to help me, just read the bold text only and reply to that. sometimes i provide overkill info. but i really would like your input if you have a FrankenPre on sprint working without issues. thank you!

    hey all! i hope everyone that still comes here is doing very well.

    i see a lot of "just got a Pre" threads; i think that's awesome!! this phone is still in high demand. i hope Ms. Meg at HP is kicking herself every time one sells on fleabay. hehe

    so - i don't know if ol' Frankie is getting senile or what, but over the last couple months, my need to toggle airplane mode, toggle BT, reconnect google chat, and close/reopen Pandora has gone way up. It's also gotten significantly more sluggish. This started with OEM kernel, so I just tried installing Uber, but it hasn't helped at all, set to 1.2 on demand.

    I keep seeing the EV icon going off and on. and the signal flip-flopping full bars-no bars. it's like it's forgetting to wake back up when Pandora needs its data connection to download the next track. (that's why i set it to on demand vs. screen state). i don't know if other Govnah tweaks could help it or not. i'm not really sure how to set the govnah settings to max efficiency.

    and most annoyingly, Pandora is not loading the next song quite frequently. I get the circle (of death) indefinitely until i close/reopen; or i'll select 'artist/song info', which then relights the 'advance track' button and i can bump it to the next track. but do that six times and Pandora says no more of course.

    also, BT will show as connected - i'll hear the double beep in my headset indicating phone and media connected, but then there's no audio - yet i see the track's status bar advancing.

    Sometimes a call will come in, i can answer it with the headset's button, but i have to toggle to rear speaker then back to BT to get the voice to come thru.

    And this is new: sometimes after ending a call, the headset will just disconnect, indicated by the chime in the headset - but the phone still thinks its connected, with the BT icon still lit up! And when i try to turn off/toggle the BT, it will take like a full minute before finally showing 'no devices connected'.

    ALSO, if i go out of range of the phone, when i come back in, usually it will re-pair itself...which seems confusing, because i'm expecting the phone to be not 'discoverable' unless the BT app is open. why is it re-pairing? when i flick the app into the background, the 'discoverable' does switch to 'not discoverable'. so it shouldn't just re-pair. should it? ugh. maybe my BT radio is just dying.

    And everything has gotten sluggish. opening apps, drop down menus, etc.

    1. is there a way to test the old comm board, find out if it's just going bad?
    2. should i just redoctor it? blow out the patches, blow out the installed apps, and then run the 103una? run the ERP? (which i dont know what that is actually, but i've heard of it)
    3. i'm still running the 60690 prl. should i update? should it matter? i'm set to voice carrier = Sprint, data roaming = off. does everyone else leave it on 'automatic'? i've tried both and dont notice a difference.

    i know i've done this stuff before, but my memory just plain sucks. even reading my own threads about it is confusing to me. (i've had a LOT of head injuries)

    i don't want to mess with doctoring if its not needed. but i don't know if the comm board is just reaching EoL, or if i have a patch conflict, etc. hardware or software??

    it's just gotten to the point where its frustrating me enough that i have to do something about it. i do have another comm board, but i'd have to sweet-talk Sprint into activating it for me if i tried putting that one into action. and i'd have to put it into my old Pre1 body (corpse), activate it in there, and then swap into Frankie.

    oh, one more thing, i'll ask since i'm here typing. when i want to use WOSQI, my phone is already in devmode, i should be able to just plug it in and start the app, no?? WOSQI says no device detected. i don't have to put this into the mode with the big USB symbol do i? i thought that was just for doctoring. i can't remember now. argh. stupid brain!

    y'no, the one thing that has been working surprisingly well is the freetether. i've gone like a month now with only the sprint 3G data to feed internet to my laptop. i am really impressed with its performance here. and my gmail and stuff are all working fine as usual. everything else is fine. i still love this phone.

    so i'm going to fix it. i HAVE TO. i'm not going to give up webOS over this b.s. in fact i was trying to use my friends GS2 just today, and i'm trying to swipe up to close an app, which does nothing, so i just said 'get this away from me'. bleh.

    it must be fixable, or diagnosable, or something. i've tried the pandora patch. it did work for a while, but not anymore. i tried the 'ghastly headset' app, and it shows BT ad2p for voice and media is active; and when i try to force, it gives an error saying some value is 'false'.

    SUGGESTIONS FROM THE FRANKEN PRE EXPERTS ARE SINCERELY APPRECIATED!! you're welcome to PM me to discuss off-record.
    ps. this is VZN body with sprint comm board on sprint. was working just fine for months, till recently it's become intolerable.

    thanks in advance to those of you who can offer advice, or are willing to just fix it for me to shut me up - i'll overnight it to ya. i swear; you think i'd be an expert at this phone by now but i just dont retain info anymore. maybe I'M the one going senile. hah!


    ah crap, look how long this is. i wrote another novel. sorry. i just want to provide as much info as i can.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 07/13/2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: standing down my call for help
  2. #2  
    I am not an expert but just doctor the phone. Also I don't why but I have found that letting the battery die is the best reset. From my experience that is
    ananimus likes this.
  3. #3  
    Also, have you tried deleting the bt profile and resetting the device
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Also, have you tried deleting the bt profile and resetting the device
    PM'ing you....

    any other advice from the 'mad' FrankenPre creators out there, i know you're out there! keep it coming!

    ***

    ok, NOT PM'ing you:

    The following errors occurred with your submission:

    laingman has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 06/15/2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: pasting in the error i received. lol
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I am not an expert but just doctor the phone. Also I don't why but I have found that letting the battery die is the best reset. From my experience that is
    most of my batteries are at half-life stage, so i do run them down to power-off more frequently than i can tell you. that doesn't seem to make a difference. rebooting, sym-orange-R, battery swap, battery pull, none really diminish it's increasingly annoying faults, of poor BT performance and poor connectivity when using Pandora. and not just mobile, stationary too.

    but anyway, what i wanted to say was YOU have always offered positive support when i initiate an "S.O.S. thread"; and i've seen your comments to others struggling to keep their webOS device from going 'belly up'.

    so thanks for still being here with us.

    1. did you use a VZN base phone and put in your Sprint com? or a GSM?

    2. which doctor did you use? the elusive sprint-pre-pre-sprint-whatever one? or the most recent catch-all (NA,world, etc) legit released doctor (2.1.0 or 2.2.4) that is on the webosinternals list of downloadable doctors? OR DID YOU CREATE YOUR OWN META? because all that linux stuff makes no sense to me. i see -bash or git pull clobber and it's like chinese to me. i wish there was clearer instructions for that method. and yet i also can't tell if that method is already obsolete because the threads are so old.

    3. wait a minute. what is this 'delete the BT profile' you speak of? can i do that? i feel my whole BT app is corrupt, and i suspect its from a task bar patch i installed and removed that added a few toggles to the top-right dropdown menu. i remember that acting buggy right from the start, and i removed it, but i don't know what damage it may have done just letting it in the front door at all.

    like i said, i'm about ready to use WOSQI to remove all patches and add-on apps, then doctor it. but i've read that when redoctoring, a 'git pull clobber' something is good for a clean folder. and i'm also not quite sure which is the best 'reset' that won't knock the sprint goodness out of the vzn phone. my stupid phone still shows the carrier as verizon in the system info screen. (not the top left corner ID though, that is Sprint) and i haven't yet found the thread explaining this "EPR"

    however, i'm plugging my phone into the computer, selecting just charge, and WOSQI is not recognizing my phone at all. it's in devmode. i gotta read more to remind myself what's up there. i must be doing something wrong.

    and then i'm not sure which doctor to go with that won't also blow out my sprint connection and force me to put the comm board back into the 1.4.5 phone to reconnect with sprint. i don't need that hassle. every time i open the phone is another chance to fubar something.

    it's frustrating, for sure. but i know there's happy Franken users out there, so i just have to be patient and figure out how they did theirs.

    but i could also have failing comm board, simple as that. hardware does have end of life. and i do have a spare inactive sprint comm i could try to get reactivated with the right sprint customer svc. person. but that's a long shot.

    SINCERE THANKS for any info you can provide, as well as just the support of talking it over with someone else who knows the phone, vs. just thinking myself in circles.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    most of my batteries are at half-life stage, so i do run them down to power-off more frequently than i can tell you. that doesn't seem to make a difference. rebooting, sym-orange-R, battery swap, battery pull, none really diminish it's increasingly annoying faults, of poor BT performance and poor connectivity when using Pandora. and not just mobile, stationary too.

    but anyway, what i wanted to say was YOU have always offered positive support when i initiate an "S.O.S. thread"; and i've seen your comments to others struggling to keep their webOS device from going 'belly up'.

    so thanks for still being here with us.

    1. did you use a VZN base phone and put in your Sprint com? or a GSM?

    2. which doctor did you use? the elusive sprint-pre-pre-sprint-whatever one? or the most recent catch-all (NA,world, etc) legit released doctor (2.1.0 or 2.2.4) that is on the webosinternals list of downloadable doctors? OR DID YOU CREATE YOUR OWN META? because all that linux stuff makes no sense to me. i see -bash or git pull clobber and it's like chinese to me. i wish there was clearer instructions for that method. and yet i also can't tell if that method is already obsolete because the threads are so old.

    3. wait a minute. what is this 'delete the BT profile' you speak of? can i do that? i feel my whole BT app is corrupt, and i suspect its from a task bar patch i installed and removed that added a few toggles to the top-right dropdown menu. i remember that acting buggy right from the start, and i removed it, but i don't know what damage it may have done just letting it in the front door at all.

    like i said, i'm about ready to use WOSQI to remove all patches and add-on apps, then doctor it. but i've read that when redoctoring, a 'git pull clobber' something is good for a clean folder. and i'm also not quite sure which is the best 'reset' that won't knock the sprint goodness out of the vzn phone. my stupid phone still shows the carrier as verizon in the system info screen. (not the top left corner ID though, that is Sprint) and i haven't yet found the thread explaining this "EPR"

    however, i'm plugging my phone into the computer, selecting just charge, and WOSQI is not recognizing my phone at all. it's in devmode. i gotta read more to remind myself what's up there. i must be doing something wrong.

    and then i'm not sure which doctor to go with that won't also blow out my sprint connection and force me to put the comm board back into the 1.4.5 phone to reconnect with sprint. i don't need that hassle. every time i open the phone is another chance to fubar something.

    it's frustrating, for sure. but i know there's happy Franken users out there, so i just have to be patient and figure out how they did theirs.

    but i could also have failing comm board, simple as that. hardware does have end of life. and i do have a spare inactive sprint comm i could try to get reactivated with the right sprint customer svc. person. but that's a long shot.

    SINCERE THANKS for any info you can provide, as well as just the support of talking it over with someone else who knows the phone, vs. just thinking myself in circles.
    I use the 2.1 doctor and my phone is a gsm unlocked model. How you delete bt profile is go to bt preferences (or launch the bt app) and swipe to delete the device you are using. Then do a search online how to reset your bt device. After you reset the bt device do a full device restart of your phone and then pair the device again.

    Dont know what to make of your quick install problem, but probly has do do with your computer. Try reinstalling the novaterm of whatever they called it, cant remember.

    PS. Dont know much about pandora, prefer spotify. And mode switcher has been known to cause bt issues
    Last edited by laingman; 06/16/2013 at 12:42 AM.
  7.    #7  
    NOW I'M REALLY CONFUSED.

    last nite I blew out patches and preware apps, then ran the doctor, build 109.108. It wouldn't let me run the sprint 287.337, said it was the wrong version for my phone when I tried to start it up.

    phone came back, restored my profile when i signed in. But now i cant install preware until i get my laptop to a hotspot (ive been using freetether at home)

    so today, being bored, i decided to turn Backup off, and do a Clear Apps and Data reset. When it booted up, i signed in and it started restoring as usual. I wasnt expecting this. I was hoping doing this would let me run the sprint doctor, but its not.

    i guess ill keep messin with it since i havent gotten any other input. Idk what im doing or why, just trying stuff i guess.
  8. #8  
    I really don't know what you mean by sprint doctor
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    I really don't know what you mean by sprint doctor
    there is a custom created doctor specifically for putting a Pre2 on sprint. You either have to create it yourself if you know how, or "obtain it" if you dont. I dont know how to make my own dr's. I dont know linux or how to operate ubuntu either. Ive seen scripts but I dont know what to do wth them. I'm incompetent.

    so the two doctors that do work on my Pre2 are either the verizon one or the unlocked one. I had been using the unlocked, and I just installed the VZN but in a minute I'm going to swap back. The vzn has the newer modem firmware 1.8 (vs 1.7) which is something I was hoping migt improve my reception.

    I'm just guessing and wasting hours doing it. I wish someone who knows the Franken prrocedure well would chime in here.

    oh i DID realize what you meant by BT profile, as in for each paired device. Yeah ive un/reinstalled those a bunch of times. No improvement. But thank you for suggesting it.

    ok doctoring back to unlocked 2.1.0 now. =/
  10.    #10  
    im going to try to fight off the OTA update to 2.2.4 and see how this version runs for a while.

    unlocked 2.1.0 running now. Have to go to a public wifi to install Preware and freetether since neither are in the app. Cat. And i have to relearn how to reinstall sprint navi. I have the ipk, just dont remember how to shove it into the phone.

    if any frankenpre users out there ever read this, i'd still appreciate your input. I dont know what i have to do to get the phone to accept the sprint metaDr. I guess its cuz device info thinks its carrier is Verizon. Dont know how to override that. Or update the modem firmware.

    hopefully after messing with this for 10 hrs today my pandora and BT performance show some improvement, which is what i got into it again for.
  11. #11  
    2.1 has been very good me. Good luck
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  12. #12  
    I'm still rockin' my Verizon Pre2 on Sprint as a daily driver. I do have problems sometimes with bluetooth devices occasionally, but I don't use BT often so I can not comment.

    My hardware info on my Pre2 still says Verizon. I followed the step by step instructions (was a while ago) and
    I'm pretty sure I ran the doctor called Palm-webOS-Doctor_webOS-Sprint-pre_pre_sprint.jar
    which I found at http://rapidshare.com/files/3670762209/

    At the time I remember reading that 2.24 broke more things than it actually fixed, so I'm on 2.1
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  13. #13  
    There was never a Pre2 Made for Sprint.

    Background: On Pres the com board, which has the chips for the cell radio (and I think, wifi and bluetooth as well) is a separate part from the main board which has the phones processor, memory etc. Palm made all the parts compatible, because it saved them money at the factory when they went from Pre- to Pre+ to Pre2, and Palm was always short on cash.

    Sprint picked up the original Pre-. Verizon carried the Pre+ and Pre2. People who wanted newer Pres, but didn't want to pay Verizon, figured out that they could take the com board out of a Sprint Pre- and Put in in a newer Verizon Pre to have a new Pre on Sprint's, network.

    What this means to you: You have a Verizon phone, even though Spint is your carrier. You will not see an official Sprint Pre2 doctor from Palm or HP, because such a thing does not exist, so try to use Palm's Verizon Pre2 2.1 doctor and see if that helps you out. It shouldn't matter (i don't think) that someone put a sprint comm board in your Pre2 - except that VZ navigator won't work :-). The sprint comm board should be the same as a Verizon phone as far as the doctor is concerned. You just can't use Verizon, and Sprint probably thinks you are walking around with a Pre-.

    I wouldn't worry about being at 2.2.4, unless you are a Skype fan. Doctor using palm's official Verizon 2.1 doctor, and see if that fixes you problems, if it doesn't than you many need to replace the comm board in your phone, since is seems that your problems are all related to that part of the phone.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    2.1 has been very good me. Good luck
    so far, no issues at all with Pandora over BT.

    i do notice a significant difference in the BT app with the 2.1.0:
    when it pairs, it shows separate icons, a pair of music notes and a telephone handset. These light up separately as each pairs, and the two tones I hear in the headset coorespond with their lighting.

    with the 2.2.4, the BT has only one headphone shaped icon that lights, and the two tones would sometimes ring together and sometimes not.

    so i definitely like seeing the two separate icons in this BT version. I can see which is not paired.

    so far phone is operating ok, no mods done at all yet. response seems to be quicker, and the EV icon seems to light up more frequently than before as well.

    i may find and install the patch that blocks the OTA update to 2.2.4. we'll see.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by lagerhowen View Post
    My hardware info on my Pre2 still says Verizon. I followed the step by step instructions (was a while ago) and
    I'm pretty sure I ran the doctor called Palm-webOS-Doctor_webOS-Sprint-pre_pre_sprint.jar
    which I found at http://rapidshare.com/files/3670762209/

    At the time I remember reading that 2.24 broke more things than it actually fixed, so I'm on 2.1
    THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING THIS!! this is exactly why i was trying to install that particular Dr.

    but if yours still says Verizon in the hardware info, then there's no point in trying to install that. It's just weird that my phone rejects that Dr. When you hit "next", it says it's not valid for this phone. it will only accept the VZN Dr. and the unlocked (combined EU/NA: 103euena) Dr.

    and thank you again
    for mentioning your better performance with the 2.1.0. i'm going to run this one a while and see how she does. if performance improves i'll post it here for future searchers of this type of issue.

    i am still interested in what else the sprint Dr. provides that isn't in the unlocked Dr. Does it install Sprint apps?
    I know i can force in Sprint Navi, i've done it before and i'll do it again in a few mins, and other than the ability to update PRL with a button tap, i don't know what else I'd even need that's sprint branded.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by xortenterprises View Post
    There was never a Pre2 Made for Sprint.

    Background: On Pres the com board, which has the chips for the cell radio (and I think, wifi and bluetooth as well) is a separate part from the main board which has the phones processor, memory etc. Palm made all the parts compatible, because it saved them money at the factory when they went from Pre- to Pre+ to Pre2, and Palm was always short on cash.

    Sprint picked up the original Pre-. Verizon carried the Pre+ and Pre2. People who wanted newer Pres, but didn't want to pay Verizon, figured out that they could take the com board out of a Sprint Pre- and Put in in a newer Verizon Pre to have a new Pre on Sprint's, network.

    What this means to you: You have a Verizon phone, even though Spint is your carrier. You will not see an official Sprint Pre2 doctor from Palm or HP, because such a thing does not exist, so try to use Palm's Verizon Pre2 2.1 doctor and see if that helps you out. It shouldn't matter (i don't think) that someone put a sprint comm board in your Pre2 - except that VZ navigator won't work :-). The sprint comm board should be the same as a Verizon phone as far as the doctor is concerned. You just can't use Verizon, and Sprint probably thinks you are walking around with a Pre-.

    I wouldn't worry about being at 2.2.4, unless you are a Skype fan. Doctor using palm's official Verizon 2.1 doctor, and see if that fixes you problems, if it doesn't than you many need to replace the comm board in your phone, since is seems that your problems are all related to that part of the phone.
    THANK YOU ALSO, for attempting to provide helpful information.

    while this info may prove useful to some future FrankenPre attempter, i'm already well aware of this particular info. (if you search the threads i've created, you'll see a long and somewhat insane history of my FrankenPre work, including a summary write-up of when I built this particular Frank out of 3 different phones. yeah, i am a lunatic.)

    I was trying to install the homebrew-created metaDr., which is basically the unauthorized Sprint Pre2 doctor. You have to make it yourself or "obtain it" from someone who has. I do have it, but my phone won't accept it. But feedback above is leading me to believe I won't benefit from it over just using the unlocked Pre2 Dr.

    And I prefer the Unlocked over the VZN Dr. myself, after installing both. (something about the little differences, like a "Ev" icon instead of an "3G" icon when data is active)

    I DO like the VZN Pre2 wallpaper with I think it's cherry blossoms? some red flowers. but i've already found that image and it's in my wallpaper collection, along with the Frankie face you see in my avatar at left. I don't run that image now, i have a nice sunset over the water from somewhere, so when work sucks, i can stare at it and think about retirement someday. haha!

    OH HEY, IF ANYONE WHO'S TAKEN THE TIME TO READ THIS WANTS THAT FRANKENSTEIN IMAGE IN PROPER W/P DIMENSIONS, PM ME AND I'LL EMAIL IT TO YOU.
    Remy X likes this.
  17.    #17  
    well, i've been streaming pandora all day as i typically do, and i am again experiencing the same Pandora stall issue.

    now this isn't the pause with 5 secs remaining, that the Apollo-created patch was made to cure...

    this is it won't advance to the next song. i get an indefinite spinning circle. i have to hit the 'advance to next song' button and it resumes playing.

    i can't tell if this is sprint network-related, my location-to-tower connectivity related, Pandora server related, BT headset connection related, or hardware related. because it also frequently just pauses mid-song, and i just have to hit 'play' again and it resumes. i suspect that's BT connectivity. i'm pretty sure the song is supposed to pause when BT connect is severed. (or does it maintain playback but auto-switch to external speaker??) hmm i should test that.

    but 2.1.0 has not eliminated the issue that was present before with 2.2.4. oh well. i still think i like 2.1.0 better. i'll stick with it a while.

    if i have to 'bump' the pandora once in a while, for the luxury of commercial-free programming, i should shut up and do it. i need to re-eval the pros and cons.

    i just wish i could troubleshoot and identify the issue, because i'm a troubleshooter by nature (and profession). it's the only benefit to being a perfectionist.
    Remy X likes this.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post

    1. is there a way to test the old comm board, find out if it's just going bad?
    2. should i just redoctor it? blow out the patches, blow out the installed apps, and then run the 103una? run the ERP? (which i dont know what that is actually, but i've heard of it)
    3. i'm still running the 60690 prl. should i update? should it matter? i'm set to voice carrier = Sprint, data roaming = off. does everyone else leave it on 'automatic'? i've tried both and dont notice a difference.

    Seems like you have a few issues going on, but all could be related to the Dr. you are using. From my understanding it seems like you are using either a the Leaked Sprint Pre- Webos v2.x Dr. or you are using the Sprint Franken Unlocked Pre 2 Dr. That could be the issue, since you phone is a Verizon-Sprint franken Pre 2 and not a Unlocked-Spring franken Pre 2 or a Pre-.

    Can you verify which Dr you originally used?

    Currently I am running PRL 60796 on my Unlocked Sprint Franken Pre 2 and running Voice carrier = Auto (since spring doesnt charge for roaming), Data Roaming = Off and I have the same weird issue of it randomly losing the EVDO connection. But it gets it back right away. So I don't see it as much of an issue. and actually that hasnt happened to me in the past few days. So I dont think it is a bad comm board thing for me.

    I dont know of any way to test a commboard.
    Rocking out Franken Pre2 2.2.4 and TP 3.0.5

    Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    Seems like you have a few issues going on, but all could be related to the Dr. you are using. From my understanding it seems like you are using either a the Leaked Sprint Pre- Webos v2.x Dr. or you are using the Sprint Franken Unlocked Pre 2 Dr. That could be the issue, since you phone is a Verizon-Sprint franken Pre 2 and not a Unlocked-Spring franken Pre 2 or a Pre-.

    Can you verify which Dr you originally used?

    Currently I am running PRL 60796 on my Unlocked Sprint Franken Pre 2 and running Voice carrier = Auto (since spring doesnt charge for roaming), Data Roaming = Off and I have the same weird issue of it randomly losing the EVDO connection. But it gets it back right away. So I don't see it as much of an issue. and actually that hasnt happened to me in the past few days. So I dont think it is a bad comm board thing for me.

    I dont know of any way to test a commboard.
    THANK YOU for adding some insight here... um, Devil Chicken? haha nice.

    i am using the official unlocked Pre2 Dr that's available on webOS Internal's list of official Dr's. t
    At their page, here: WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    it is number 3.2.10.1 in that page's table of contents.

    Their Sprint Pre2 page, here: Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals

    with instructions on how to do the Franken conversion, at the bottom of the page specifies using the SCRIPT named: ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.1.0

    but that script doesn't appear to exist on the page they provide a link to. There's 2.2.4. And the instructions on that page are not clear to someone like myself that doesn't know linux. As example, it says things like "From the command line..." and "From the meta directory..." but it doesn't say where this command line is, or where this directory is. Just referring to "command line" may make sense to someone who knows what that is, but it doesn't to me. So I never could figure out how to do a meta-doctor script and have always had to rely on using a Palm provided Dr. In fact, I have been given the sprint-pre-pre-sprint doctor, but that won't run on my phone as-is, and i have no idea what is required to make it work.

    Plus most of these instructions havent been updated with the most current info. Example, that page says there's no way to install Sprint Navi, which I know is false as I've found the how-to and have done it successfully. So i don't really have much confidence in the entire page since it hasn't been kept up-to-date.

    you mention having a PRL that's newer than mine. i've also heard of new PRLs that aren't even in succession with the 606xx series. I suspect to get the latest PRL i'd have to put the comm board back into a Pre- with 1.4.5 and try to get that phone back on Sprint to do an update. That's a lot of work for something that i don't even think matters, since i've read that it only matters if you're roaming off the Sprint network. and i'm always on the Sprint network in my area. it always says Sprint in the top corner.

    I've asked for answers to these issues more than once on this forum, and no one has ever replied to truly resolve my issues for me. it's always been "maybe" or "not really sure but", etc. i've even PM'd the conversion master himself, but never got a reply. i've donated to internals, and tried to hit up their IRC, but no definitive solutions from that either.

    So without definitive assistance from someone who KNOWS the procedure, i've tried to make the best attempt i could at it. but i've never been sure i've done the conversion correctly, because i've never used a meta doctor to do so. i've only used the OEM unlocked Dr's. and i have no idea if i shouldn't be using those because they don't include some settings required for a cross-breed Franken device. it's very frustrating because i simply cannot pinpoint the cause of my issues; software or hardware?

    tonight was especially annoying. i had to close/reopen Pandora at least a dozen times within a few hours. i may try reinstalling the 'pause patch' to see it it helps at all, even though i'm pretty sure it was created to address a different kind of pause scenario which i have experienced in the past as well.

    sometimes it's very difficult to justify staying with webOS because without manufacturer support or carrier support, i need community support at the least. and as much as i try to help others; i have not been particularly successful at acquiring support for my own issues. so i just push through on my own, and try to be tolerant of the annoyances as part of the price to pay to maintain use of webOS.

    but hey, thank you for replying to the thread. i appreciate your input.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 06/21/2013 at 03:39 AM.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
    THANK YOU for adding some insight here... um, Devil Chicken? haha nice.
    .....
    ......
    .......
    ........
    .......
    ......
    .....
    but hey, thank you for replying to the thread. i appreciate your input.
    I am going to skip the rant portion of your post and focus on the Issue Parts.

    Creating a meta Dr is pretty straight forward if you have some basic Linux Skills(which I will help you with) then you will have the correct Dr for your Frenken Pre 2.(this is no guarentee to fix the issue but a good starting point.)

    And there are other ways of getting an updated PRL then putting the Pre - back together. I believe their are some websites out there that have the most recent PRL that you can Download and manually update. but I dont think that will fix much at this moment.

    Also as for the instructions on WebOS internals - WeboOS 2 Upgrade. They are accurate and up-to-date from a legal stand point. Yes you can install Sprint nav on it but it isnt legal because you need to use a leaked version of the app. that is why they leave it off or say you cant do it. I did the franken pre 2 process a month or so ago and followed their instructions and had minimal issues.

    go to WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals read and follow from begining through step 0. I also suggest you read the rest of the page.

    Read over Step 1Prerequisites:
    So lets start with the Meta Dr.(Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals)
    First you need to install Ubuntu, instructions can be found in the link above, basically what you are going to do is download the cd image, the burn it to a cd then opening the CD in Windows and installing Ubuntu. (to create the Meta Dr. you will need at least 10gigs of space in ubuntu, I would make it more like 20).

    Once you have ubuntu installed and are booted into linux follow the linux instructions on the meta dr page. Then stop, Do not start step 2. At this point you have Linux, Novacom, all the other programs needed to create a meta dr. and are inside the "meta-doctor" directory on ubuntu. to find out what directory you are in type
    Code:
    pwd
    in the terminal. should look something like /home/username/meta-doctor The last portion should be meta-doctor. if this isnt the case follow steps 4 through 7 from the linux section of the meta dr page.

    After you completed the linux section and confirmed you are in the meta-doctor directory go to http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...r_Palm_Profile
    Follow Steps for preparing your palm profile.

    Read through step 3, then read and follow instructions for http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/..._Verizon_Pre_2. basically all you have to do is run that one line in the terminal. This will download and do a few thing so it may take a little while. Once it is done it should start up the newly created Dr. Yay Doctor is in the house! Time to move on to step 4.

    you should read all the carrier specific part of the WebOS2 upgrade page.

    Step 4 will dr your phone to the correct sprint-verizon pre 2 WebOS 2.2.4 versoin.

    Now you can set up the phone like you have done before. Simple Right?
    Last edited by elpollodiablo1; 06/21/2013 at 02:35 PM.
    Rocking out Franken Pre2 2.2.4 and TP 3.0.5

    Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: FrankenPre2
    By quiestbml in forum Marketplace
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06/11/2012, 09:45 AM
  2. FrankenPre2 no 3g
    By FliedLice in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05/27/2012, 06:50 PM
  3. frankenpre2 help
    By jon0604 in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04/04/2012, 11:04 PM
  4. ATT FrankenPre2
    By kaiser10123 in forum Palm Pre 2
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08/27/2011, 08:11 PM
  5. SE HBH-660 and deteriorating audio on my Sprint 650
    By singersong in forum Palm OS Devices & Apps
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05/25/2005, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions