Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #21  
    THANK YOU for this detailed reply.

i have ubuntu and novacom installed from when i did my first franken conversion a long time ago. but i had a friend with linux experience on hand to help me with that. (they've moved away since, but i've kept the double-boot knowing i'd probably need it again)

so i will try again reading through the instructions and referring back to your comments here. just knowing that the instructions are still valid after your recent use makes me feel better about trying them.

plus, my phone on 2.1.0 is acting weird randomly, as well as working perfectly, randomly. it's been frustrating because i cannot tell if it's hardware or software causing the issues.

thanks again, i'll try my best to re-do it.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    there are other ways of getting an updated PRL then putting the Pre - back together. I believe their are some websites out there that have the most recent PRL that you can Download and manually update. but I dont think that will fix much at this moment.

Also as for the instructions on WebOS internals - WeboOS 2 Upgrade. They are accurate and up-to-date from a legal stand point. I did the franken pre 2 process a month or so ago and followed their instructions and had minimal issue
    ok i've done it, used ubuntu to run the meta doctor you specified.

it HELPED A LOT that you specified which one (sprint-franken-verizon-pre2, not sprint franken unlocked pre2, verizon franken Pre2 or verizon pre2, which don't have application descriptions)

i had to go across the street to 'borrow' some wifi so i could reinstall preware and freetether with WOSQI (since as far as i can tell, you can't just download them to the phone) and now i have internet access at home again.

now i could try to restore what i saved with save/restore, but i can't tell if i even need to.
    and i don't know where this /var/lib/software area is, to try to update the PRL. which again, don't know if it's even needed.

i'll try this for a while and see how it works, but it's already acting weird; showing that wifi is OFF while also showing the button 'turn wifi off' in the desktop drop-down menu. is it off or not, little phone? what, you can't tell?? argh.

it's THIS frustrating stuff that will drive me to just get a 'dumb phone', for my dumb self. as much as i love webOS, it's becoming a tinkerer's phone requiring higher tech know-how than i have.

if this phone doesn't start acting normally, my next step will be to rebuild the Pre- with the spare comm board i have, activate it, then transplant into the Frank hoping a diff comm board will help. ugh that's a lot of work on a hunch. webOS really does test my patience sometimes.
    Last edited by TJs11thPre; 06/24/2013 at 08:00 PM.
    I would suggest using the default newly meta dr phone for a little while(couple days) if possible. because the issue could be coming from the programs/patches you are installing. Using it with out any of that could give you some more insight on if it is software or hardware. Just a thought.
    Rocking out Franken Pre2 2.2.4 and TP 3.0.5

Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
    ok i've done it, used ubuntu to run the meta doctor you specified.

it HELPED A LOT that you specified which one (sprint-franken-verizon-pre2, not sprint franken unlocked pre2, verizon franken Pre2 or verizon pre2, which don't have application descriptions)

i had to go across the street to 'borrow' some wifi so i could reinstall preware and freetether with WOSQI (since as far as i can tell, you can't just download them to the phone) and now i have internet access at home again.

now i could try to restore what i saved with save/restore, but i can't tell if i even need to.
    and i don't know where this /var/lib/software area is, to try to update the PRL. which again, don't know if it's even needed.

i'll try this for a while and see how it works, but it's already acting weird; showing that wifi is OFF while also showing the button 'turn wifi off' in the desktop drop-down menu. is it off or not, little phone? what, you can't tell?? argh.

it's THIS frustrating stuff that will drive me to just get a 'dumb phone', for my dumb self. as much as i love webOS, it's becoming a tinkerer's phone requiring higher tech know-how than i have.

if this phone doesn't start acting normally, my next step will be to rebuild the Pre- with the spare comm board i have, activate it, then transplant into the Frank hoping a diff comm board will help. ugh that's a lot of work on a hunch. webOS really does test my patience sometimes.
    Concerning wifi, if you have freetether running, the devicemenu might show the turn wifi off, allthough the icon is not in the topbar.

Also upon closing freetether, my wifi almost always works, but starting freetether again, then the network does not always show on my other devices.

Just to say that freetether might have caused the phenomen instead of habing problem with webos.
    I've had two Sprint FrankenPre2s and everything worked perfectly with the latest OS. Your best bet would be to find another inexpensive Pre2 off of Ebay (I used the Verizon version since the antennas are the same), there should be some brand new ones available. Follow the instructions that is found here or on webosinternals on how to change out the modem & create and run the metadoctor. I've done it twice and never had problems with Bluetooth or webOS 2.2.4.

Unfortunately, my 2nd Frankenpre2 wouldn't charge anymore (I think I dropped it in water :'( ) and needed a phone right away. Would have done a 3rd one had I had the time. Hate Android on the S3.

Make sure your modem is attached to a Sprint number or you have to get a Pre- 1st, have Sprint set it up, then continue on with the Frankenpre2 instructions. Might take less time instead of all the troubleshooting you are doing.
  6.    #26  
    still not much success here. i am losing hope.

Unfortunately, all phones go bad at some point if you don't open the slider every time you set it down to charge... the components overheat and eventually start to malfunction

Which is kind of why i use the USB cord instead of the Touchstone now that i use my Pre+ as a WiFi hotspot for 3 devices, and always, always open the slider... otherwise at full CPU load on the Touchstone it gets hot enough to fry an egg

Hey! I'm at 800 posts now... i guess i've now earned my right to get "all uppity"
    TJs11thPre likes this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Remy X View Post

Unfortunately, all phones go bad at some point if you don't open the slider every time you set it down to charge... the components overheat and eventually start to malfunction

Which is kind of why i use the USB cord instead of the Touchstone now that i use my Pre+ as a WiFi hotspot for 3 devices, and always, always open the slider... otherwise at full CPU load on the Touchstone it gets hot enough to fry an egg

Hey! I'm at 800 posts now... i guess i've now earned my right to get "all uppity"
    it is true that hardware eventually fails. that was why i wanted to try activating the spare comm board i had, in case it performed better. i wasn't able to do that, but i did update the network settings on my original comm board that's been in both franken's.

and i DEFINITELY open the phone when it's on the TStone. yes it does get hot! and heat is one of the most destructive forces upon any electronic device. what a difference it makes having it open.

you go on with your uppity self. 800 posts is a boatload! thanx for your contributions to the site. as the subscriber base dwindles, the few who remain become more valuable.
    Remy X likes this.
  9.    #29  
    the backward swap to update the network settings seems to be having a positive effect so far.

while the phone has been acting a little weird - browsing craigslist i've experienced these weird issues:

- pinch zoom to read text easier, but when you scroll the zoom level increases by itself
    - tap a link and it jumps right when you tap, activating a link adjacent to the one you were attempting to choose.

sometimes browser close/reopen clears this up, sometimes turning horizontal clears it up. dont' know what to do about this yet.

but so far, pandora and BT have been performing better since my network settings update to the comm board (by moving it back to the original Pre- with 1.4.5)

but less stalling on pandora, particularly driving through some areas where it consistently had stalling issue over months (ex: Sandy Springs, GA 400 & 285 interchange)
  10.    #30  
    so far, Frankie is still working better this week than the last month or more. So I think the network update really did help.

But after reassembling the other Pre spare parts, I think I've realized that there's not much worth saving from those phones, other than keeping a 1.4.5 Pre- available for a future comm update swap if needed.

SOOOOOOOOO - i looked on ebay a moment ago, and happened to catch an auction ending in 15 mins. I bid $20 and won for $17.50!! Then applied a giftcard and wound up paying $2.27 for a Pre2 GSM with screen protector on it, incl. box but not charger, which is fine i have a half dozen.

I AM SOO happy to have what should be a decent 'back up' Pre2 that I can swap the Sprint comm board to if I ever need it. Or i can slap a pre-paid SIM in there and just activate that phone. It's nice to have options...

...as the sun continues to slowly set on the horizon of webOS, making for a beautiful red sky; even though the beauty of a sunset is really a result of miles of dense smog and pollution - from the arse of Leo A.

haha that's some poetry raat-thurr
  11.    #31  
    i am excited! ok so i just received my $2.27 Pre2. what a freakin' lucky deal! the webOS spirits are favoring me today!

so it turns out this GSM Pre2 was an employee issued model. It is OEM unlocked. There's no brand logo on the self-portrait "mirror".

it also had some add'l paperwork that i'd never seen in any of my previous packages, including one that explains how HP employees can tie into their corporate email servers.

the Reverse Logistics page shows an awesome comparison for me: my current phone, Pre2 #2 with Pre- #7's comm board, has 5790 lifetime call count.

The new phone has 790! hahaha 5000 less calls! this thing is like a newborn baby!

i also noticed the screen on the new one was brighter...but not set brighter! the slider is actually set lower than my old phone, and yet brighter at the same time. freshy-fresh LED!

so i thru it in devmode and ran the quick tests, browsed a bit, etc. put in my inactive T-Mo SIM and it showed 3G full bars, so the tx/rx appears all good. and the screen had a Pre- protector on it, which I removed to see a flawless Gorilla Glass!

so i think i'm going to swap into this phone rather than save it as backup.

now i have to figure out, do i run the sprint meta doctor, or just the unlocked GSM doctor?

i wonder what the difference is, what does the sprint meta take from - what i think is a combo of 3 - stock doctors???

anyway, while people are out buying expensive GS4's and Ipoo5's, i'm somehow happy as a clam to take posession of yet another little Pre2. what a kook.

but i've noticed i can no longer modify my profile name. i need to update it to TJs12thPre!!! lol
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12