Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well I used to have an IPhone and I used it by jailbreaking it and also Used Installus and cydia for all apps that was good.

Now I got a palm pre 2 it looks awesome, small, shiny, smooth edges....

I am very much confused, just wanna know couple of things to start using my palm pre 2 in a better way

1.) How to know whether my Palm pre 2 i activated or not. (I got this phone from UK carrier : O2 and I can use this phone with any sim in India).

2.) How to connect palm pre 2 to computer. (when I connect this palm pre 2 to PC I never get any option on mobile to select usb mode or charge mode, Tried with different cables & different PC's ).

3.) First use app (When I got the phone there is an app says First use app & while creating profile it failed and I updated my palm pre to the newer webos and then lost First USE app. How to get it back).

4.) App Catalog (Wont open with Sim or wifi... How to use app catalog)

Thankyou for reading this ... hoping best answers soon waiting for this info from a very long time luckly I got this site (forms ) To discuss my problems...
    Quote Originally Posted by seshu0520 View Post
    Well I used to have an IPhone and I used it by jailbreaking it and also Used Installus and cydia for all apps that was good.

Now I got a palm pre 2 it looks awesome, small, shiny, smooth edges....

I am very much confused, just wanna know couple of things to start using my palm pre 2 in a better way

1.) How to know whether my Palm pre 2 i activated or not. (I got this phone from UK carrier : O2 and I can use this phone with any sim in India).

2.) How to connect palm pre 2 to computer. (when I connect this palm pre 2 to PC I never get any option on mobile to select usb mode or charge mode, Tried with different cables & different PC's ).

3.) First use app (When I got the phone there is an app says First use app & while creating profile it failed and I updated my palm pre to the newer webos and then lost First USE app. How to get it back).

4.) App Catalog (Wont open with Sim or wifi... How to use app catalog)

Thankyou for reading this ... hoping best answers soon waiting for this info from a very long time luckly I got this site (forms ) To discuss my problems...
    Did you buy this phone used? or was it new out of the box?

It sounds like it might have already been activated on another carrier so most of the phone has already been setup.

You might want to think about Doctoring (reset back to default) and reactivating and such. I am not sure how the whole activation thing works in india. I believe if you want full app catalog access(by default it has geo restrictions) you might have to use impostah(a 3rd party app in preware that allows you to mess around with the Profile on the phone.) There are lots of post about it on here.

Normally when you plug in your phone into a computer it will popup on the phones screen with usb mode or charge. There are patches that will automatically put it in charge mode. but even from charge mode, you should see the usb symbol in the notification section at the bottom. tapping that will allow you to access usb mode.

If you decided to Doctor the phone it will bring the first use app back.(there are probably other ways of doing this.)
    Rocking out Franken Pre2 2.2.4 and TP 3.0.5

Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
    chenkinms likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you elpollodiablo1 after 300 views one reply...hmmm

It is a brand new box piece, and If I doctor my phone again I have to activate it rite!! So that means I have to buy the code again ?? already I spend 40 pounds on this phone to activate it when I have orange sim ....

Is there any way to know exactly whether my palm pre 2 is activated or not .... The carrier says ROW..

Regards,

Seshu
  4.    #4  
    And no I never get such, to keep the mobile in USB mode....
    But the sounds of it I would just recommed doctoring it back to default and starting the process over.
    did you have to unlock your phone? was it locked to a specific carrier when you bought it or was it already unlocked? I beleive if you unlock your phone the doctors will not lock it again(I could be wrong, but do some research). but I you would probably use the row(world non carrier specific) doctor.

I believe if you can make calls you phone is activated.

activating and unlocking a phone are two different thing. you do not need to buy anything to activate your phone, but you may need to buy an unlock code if it is locked to a carrier that is not the one you are using.
    Rocking out Franken Pre2 2.2.4 and TP 3.0.5

Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    did you have to unlock your phone? was it locked to a specific carrier when you bought it or was it already unlocked? I beleive if you unlock your phone the doctors will not lock it again(I could be wrong, but do some research). but I you would probably use the row(world non carrier specific) doctor.

I believe if you can make calls you phone is activated.

activating and unlocking a phone are two different thing. you do not need to buy anything to activate your phone, but you may need to buy an unlock code if it is locked to a carrier that is not the one you are using.
    This is all correct. Unlocking (so it can work on any provider) is permanent. Activating is also not effected by Doctoring (restoring) the device, though manually entered APN settings may need to be entered again.

To the original poster: Can you make a phone call? Then it is both activated and unlocked. If there is trouble with data, are you sure the APN settings have been entered correctly for your carrier? And are you sure your Pre 2 has the correct radio hardware to speak to your carrier?

You do need a cellular data connection to run First Use properly, and this will again appear after Doctoring the device. APN settings may need to be entered. I believe if you Doctor to the newest version (2.2.4) it will know if these values are incorrect after a couple of tries to talk to the network, and will ask you to change the settings.

Hope that helps. And I encourage you to search around the forum to see what others in your situation have tried!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    This is all correct. Unlocking (so it can work on any provider) is permanent. Activating is also not effected by Doctoring (restoring) the device, though manually entered APN settings may need to be entered again.

To the original poster: Can you make a phone call? Then it is both activated and unlocked. If there is trouble with data, are you sure the APN settings have been entered correctly for your carrier? And are you sure your Pre 2 has the correct radio hardware to speak to your carrier?

You do need a cellular data connection to run First Use properly, and this will again appear after Doctoring the device. APN settings may need to be entered. I believe if you Doctor to the newest version (2.2.4) it will know if these values are incorrect after a couple of tries to talk to the network, and will ask you to change the settings.

Hope that helps. And I encourage you to search around the forum to see what others in your situation have tried!
    Well I appreciate your reply , Am ready to use doctor to check it , But it is not at all connecting to any pc , with any usb cable and also what ever I try It wont give an option says charge only or usb, did some research but no optimistic solution ...

Tried Opt+Sym+U , tried device Info --> preference--> usb mode, tried tapping on the notification , no nothing ....
    Well I appreciate your reply , Am ready to use doctor to check it , But it is not at all connecting to any pc , with any usb cable and also what ever I try It wont give an option says charge only or usb, did some research but no optimistic solution ...

Tried Opt+Sym+U , tried device Info --> preference--> usb mode, tried tapping on the notification , no nothing ....
    Is it possible that you are using power only USB cables (yes, they do exist).

Try another cable, or test it with either another device or try another port.

Have you tried the reset options with a full erase/reset?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Is it possible that you are using power only USB cables (yes, they do exist).

Try another cable, or test it with either another device or try another port.

Have you tried the reset options with a full erase/reset?
    Thankyou Imfallen_angel for joining the discussion,

am afraid If I reset will be loosing all the settings !!

and I used palm usb cable, blackberry usb cable, samsung usb, and other , tried on different systems, with all these cables... still the same,

after purchasing this phone my brother transferend some data to this phone using palm cable , latter he went to some local store there and gave #40's and that guy did something and then after coming to india, the indian carrier;s are working, but no app catalog, no usb....
    You can test in other computer...

I have no time now, but I'll gonna try to help you.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Thankyou Imfallen_angel for joining the discussion,

am afraid If I reset will be loosing all the settings !!

and I used palm usb cable, blackberry usb cable, samsung usb, and other , tried on different systems, with all these cables... still the same,

after purchasing this phone my brother transferend some data to this phone using palm cable , latter he went to some local store there and gave #40's and that guy did something and then after coming to india, the indian carrier;s are working, but no app catalog, no usb....
    Well, your options appears limited, if you'd be close to me, I'd invite you over and look at it (In Canada, Ottawa) and try to see what could be done.

But with teleporters still out of our grasp, all we can do is try to suggest things... (maybe video chat?)

I'd still say to consider a reformat (reset/doctor).

Just get all your settings written down, ensure that you do a backup for your account, and note any Preware you've installed (as those would be part of the account's backup).

Your apps via HP's catalog that you already have will reinstalled after you reset.

But again, we have to establish that you do have a Palm/HP account and that you are not in DEV mode or such.

Done right, the worse you could lose would be games save and such.

If you have Preware installed, then get the << WIFI File sharing >> App.

This places your phone into a network folder mode via WIFI and makes your phone accessible as if you were to plug it with USB, but wireless via your network.

Then see if you can get that working and use that to save any pictures, music or any other files to your computer.

(this of course, as long as you have a WIFI network capacity).

Once you save everything you can/need, then reset, doctor, and hopefully all should work again.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Also... have you tried rebooting it:

Here's a great page that guides you through the three ways to do it.

Soft Reset - Palm Pre 2
    I see a pattern...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Well, your options appears limited, if you'd be close to me, I'd invite you over and look at it (In Canada, Ottawa) and try to see what could be done.

But with teleporters still out of our grasp, all we can do is try to suggest things... (maybe video chat?)

I'd still say to consider a reformat (reset/doctor).

Just get all your settings written down, ensure that you do a backup for your account, and note any Preware you've installed (as those would be part of the account's backup).

Your apps via HP's catalog that you already have will reinstalled after you reset.

But again, we have to establish that you do have a Palm/HP account and that you are not in DEV mode or such.

Done right, the worse you could lose would be games save and such.

If you have Preware installed, then get the << WIFI File sharing >> App.

This places your phone into a network folder mode via WIFI and makes your phone accessible as if you were to plug it with USB, but wireless via your network.

Then see if you can get that working and use that to save any pictures, music or any other files to your computer.

(this of course, as long as you have a WIFI network capacity).

Once you save everything you can/need, then reset, doctor, and hopefully all should work again.
    Thankyou very much Imfallen_ angel.....

your suggestions are awesome Imfallen_angel,

I just wanna be clear with couple of things bro:-

1. cannot connect to pc with any cable, or any pc, to transfer data, or back up

2. Don't have any palm account to back up information, my only concern is I have to back up my photos and documents (*** very important***)

3. And I cannot access appcatalog, with WIFI or mobile data.... To download that app you told me ( WIFI File sharing >> App.)

4. I can access DEV MODE by typing webos20090606 on the idle screen,

Yes we cannot meet in personal or teleport :P , but I can do one thing, will send you a video abt my phone,
    could you provide your email id here ?? or you can ping me on facebook --> www.fb.com/seshu52.

Regards
    Seshu,
    Last edited by seshu0520; 05/29/2013 at 09:50 AM.
    First, you need a Sim Card with a data plan working.

After, go to Device Info => Reset Options => Erase Apps & Data!

Relax... this only erase the apps, that you can download again later...

Before activate, connect the USB cable and see if the desktop gonna show some reaction.

With or without reaction from computer, try to activate the device using your data plan.

=> If activate: no problem, the device gonna redownload your profile and apps;

=> If don't: no problem. Go to Phone App ("Emergency Call"), erase the 911 and type #*3386633# + green button. So enable the Developer Mode.

=> If the DevMode is on, just turn off, restart and try again, reenabling and restarting again.

=> After activate the device or reenable the DevMode and restart, I believe that in this point your device can work with USB cable.

If continue don't working, call us here.

Believe me, is more easy than you can think... but I like to follow step by step, avoiding the risk of forget something...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    Ok, I think that we've established a few things (as far as I can tell from your info).

1) you don't have an account, which means: your phone is working from dev mode.

2) since you are in dev mode, it is normal that you cannot access the catalog

3) the USB thing, it's probably due to a bad setup or something, as you stated, the other guy did to "hack" it.

So follow the instructions that RNP just gave.

For your pictures and documents... do you have any access to the internet via a data plan with a SIM.. if yes, email them to yourself, and that'll do it...

ALTERNATIVE POSSIBILITY.

On your computer, download and install Preware

direct link to Quickinstall (right-click and save link as)
    https://github.com/JayCanuck/webos-q...tall-4.5.0.jar

Once installed, enable the Developer Mode on your device. (but I believe that it's already on, from what you said)

Just open the keyboard and type: webos20090606

In the main screen, the search will open and you'll be typing that in there, and once you hit enter, it'll bring you to dev mode, and you turn it on.

Plug it in the computer and WebOS quickinstall should detect your phone regardless that the phone doesn't give you a message..

In WebOs quickinstall, go get Preware and install. You can go get WIFI File Sharing here too (recommended at this point).

Unplug and reboot your phone.

If you get to this point, configure your WIFI File Sharing (might need to reboot after... ), and that will let you make your backups.

Once that's done... do the reformat of the phone.

Cross your fingers and see how you do.

If still issues, do a reset (like RNP explained) and if that doesn't work, then you will have to doctor.

And as RNP stated, get yourself a SIM with a DATA plan, so to do the initial setup and create an account.

Once an account and the main setup is done, set up your WIFI, and then you will be able to take the SIM out and have access to the internet and catalog, etc.

Using impostah and any hacks have been nothing but problems for many (so many threads about such issues), but the borrowing a SIM with data for a main setup is easy, clean, works flawlessly, and then the phone is ready to take another SIM within DATA (but still can do calls), and you'll have a phone that will run DATA from the WIFI only.

That's what I did with the kids' Pre2s.
    I see a pattern...
    imfallen_angel,

I believe that the USB connection is not working for some conflit in software (and this is the cause to WQIS don't work)... so, I told to reset, because this can confirm if the problem is in software or hardware...

Best Regards...
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    imfallen_angel,

I believe that the USB connection is not working for some conflit in software (and this is the cause to WQIS don't work)... so, I told to reset, because this can confirm if the problem is in software or hardware...

Best Regards...
    I did the soft and hard reset , But still the same problem ,

Soft reset --> restart

hard restart :- press and hold the power button , and slide the vibration slider 4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    imfallen_angel,

Best Regards...
    If it's similar to issues I've had with the Touchpad (the dead charging circuit), I'd tend to wonder if while the phone isn't showing any signs of being connected, the computer might still be able to connect to a certain leverl..

The Touchpad would not do anything but I was able to still get it to be seen by the computer (including when I switched to Ubuntu where I did the fix).

So, that's why I suggest that he might want to try using WebOS Quickinstall to see if he might be able to get it detected and get Preware and WIFI file sharing, at least to try and save his pictures and files.

But I did say that he should try the reset and that my suggestion would be an alternative.

As far as I read it, he's trying to save his files first, once that's accomplished, the phone can go through any step to restore it.
    I see a pattern...
    Well... the last option is try to doctorize...

The good side is that the Webos Doctor don't erase the USB drive.

Good luck.

Now, I gonna back to my bed, try to sleep more 16 hours... again!

Best Regards...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast