Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By lemanho
  • 1 Post By fkoimburi
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    My Palm Pre 2 is less than 2 years old, and it seems to given up it's ghost somewhat!

The gesture area no longer works. At the moment, the white activity light at the bottom of the gesture area is slightly dimmer than usual. The gesure area has COMPLETELY stopped working. Also, when I try power it off by pressing the power button, the screen stutters quite a bit. Sometimes the powering down is completely unresponsive and I have to resort to pulling out the battery. (This part sounds like a hardware problem to me, but I could be wrong).

It all began when the gesture area would not work intermittently. A back swipe would be read a couple of seconds after the fact. It was irritating at first, but still workable! It eventual got so bad that the backswipe completely stopped working. The touch screen seemed to work fine.

I have doctored it a couple of times, with mixed success. The first time I doctored it, I managed to get the gesture area to work again--briefly. After a couple of days it was back to the delayed response state, getting progressively worse. I have doctored it two or three times more since then. I keep the screen clean, though I have no screen protector. I have toggled advanced gestures on and off. The signal is good. The phone is an unlocked Pre 2, running OS 2.2.4.

Anyone had any similar issues? Any ideas what else I can try?

I am a huge fan of Palm, but I am disappointed that it has given up on me so easily. I still intend on getting another Palm to replace this one, and since I like this one so much, I may as well get two or three of them at a go at the basement price they are currently retailing at.
    But other parts of the screen work fine? I can only imagine the digitizer is damaged somehow.
    Definitely sounds like you've got some loose or damaged components. Since yours is a GSM Pre2, you might as well grab a brand new replacement now, while they are still easy to find. While they'll never be as rare as the Pre3, they seem to be selling a lot faster than the Verizon/CDMA counterpart...
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks for taking the time to respond to this.

Yes, I am keeping an eye out on users experiences of those who own the Pre 3. I may get the Pre 3 with the Pre 2 as a back up. Still deciding on that one...

One last thing: my Pre 2 seems to be unable to receive phone calls and text messages too. My data connection is working fine, and the signal strength is at it's maximum. Do you think think that may be caused by the same problem as the non-functional gesture area?
    Is it a GSM version or the Verizon CDMA one? Did you create a Palm profile and successfully logged in to it?

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Last edited by Herrie; 05/17/2013 at 02:17 AM.
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
    Wow! That really sounds like a lemon.

I'm thinking you've got some loose ribbon cables and board connections, maybe even a poorly soldered on chip that needs to be "propped up" with something...

Someone with experience can probably take it apart and re-seat every component (and press on every chip) before doctoring it again, which might or might not breathe new life into it...

This isn't the first time I've encountered a phone on this forum where the firmware of various chips "rots" within a few days of being reflashed...

So I think if reseating every component and doctoring twice does not solve your problem, the phone should probably just go into someone's parts bin, where each individual part might just be okay on another phone..

I wish you luck with it.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Is it a GSM version or the Verizon CDMA one? Did you create a Palm profile and successfully logged in to it?

@Herrie Yes, I successfully logged into my Palm profile after doctoring it. I think it is the GSM one, if understand the difference correctly.

@Remie Thank for the diagnosis. Yeah, I think I might just end up buying another one. Sadly, because of where I live (Mozambique, Africa), the shipping cost are going to cost three times more than the actual phone! Oh, well. That's life!

Thank you all for your invaluable help!
    Try to force the touchpanel. Connect pre 2 to WQI and running linux command....
    stop hidd
    PmTpUpdater -f
    Start hidd

Re-flash touchpanel Hex....
    Remy X and jathinvarma11 like this.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemanho View Post
    Try to force the touchpanel. Connect pre 2 to WQI and running linux command....
    stop hidd
    PmTpUpdater -f
    Start hidd

Re-flash touchpanel Hex....
    @lemanho This WORKED! Thank you. I am sorry I have taken so long to get round to getting back to you, but I only tried it a couple of mins ago! Everything seems to be working fine now!

So what exactly did that Linus command do?
    jathinvarma11 likes this.
    I am having the same problem guys for HP Veer....gesture area is not working and the last one half inch of the touch screen is unresponsive! Please help me guys...
    You probably need to reflash the Touchpanel with PmTpUpdater, but it could be your flat cable of the display is broken and causing your issues as well..

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2