1.    #1  
    Hi everyone,

While on a trip my Pre 2 suddenly died. I was using it and the screen went black. I can't turn it on (I tried different fully charged batteries that work in another Pre 2, with and without sim card, etc.), when I connect it to a computer nothing happens (I don't get new hardware dialog), and of course nothing happens if I try to charge it connecting it to a charger or with the touchstone.

Strangely enough just before it died, it started to stutter like hell, so much that it was difficult to use. No idea if it's related or not.

I would love to retrieve the pictures I took while on the trip (I'm careful with backups, but I NEVER expected it to die that way, I don't do usually make backups *while* on the road).

Is there any hope to access the USB partition?

Thanks!
    Hmm... Sounds like the mainboard is cracked or somehow damaged, and that's where the memory chips are...

Don't throw it out yet, but chances are, retrieving those files will be a somewhat difficult task...
  3.    #3  
    Remy, thanks for replying!

That's a possibility. I'll try to connect it to the PC and wiggle it around, maybe hit it with something to see if whatever failed re-seats...

Do you think is it worth opening to visually look for whatever is broken? I've never opened a Pre before.
    You can open it up, but be sure to ground yourself to avoid doing any more damage (electrostatic discharge)..

Also, please read the corresponding repair guides, so that you would know what to expect.

Now that I think about it, the board may have a continuity problem somewhere, and the slow performance was due to an undervolted cpu. I don't know if it was a slow-acting short circuit, overheating, a flaking off trace, a burning out on-board component, etc. Maybe you can spot something with a magnifying glass, or not.

I really wish you luck with this, but your problem is definitely serious.

Back to the subject of photos, if someone will be able to do a dump of the memory chips (not the most fun thing to do, but may well be an option), as far as I remember, photos reside outside of cryptofs, so they should be available in their original form. Once you have the raw binary image of the chip's contents, there are tools like PhotoRec that scan for the EXIF data and extract the identified image files (no filenames though, those are stored separately and are rarely recoverable)
    Maybe a loose chip? I've met a couple of those, once on a laptop and once on an MP3 player. Just apply pressure in the middle of the chip (I used a sizable rubber cabinet protector thingy that was wedged between the chip and a surface above it).
  6.    #6  
    I just found out something that might change the diagnosis (although after fiddling with the phone, so no idea if this was happening before). If I connect it to a linux computer, and look at the latest kernel messages with 'dmesg | tail', when I connect it to the computer I see this:

usb 1-2: new high speed USB device number 13 using ehci_hcd

and 3 seconds later it gets disconnected with:

usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 13

so I don't have time to do anything, it always lasts 3 seconds. I tried communicating with QuickInstall but I guess there's no time to even establish a connection.

I also tried connecting pressing volume up but nothing happens. During those 3 seconds I get the following information from the command 'usb-devices':

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=01 Dev#= 14 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 2.10 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=0451 ProdID=d00e Rev=00.00
    S: Manufacturer=Texas Instruments
    S: Product=OMAP3630
    C: #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=100mA
    I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=ff Prot=ff Driver=(none)

Any hope to do something on my own without dumping the memory chips somewhere?