Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bbito
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks. I'm sure this has been covered in various forms, but I'm googled out, and the forum search isn't really helping.

What is the latest and most definitive guide to swapping a com board out of a Pre- into a Pre2? I've found several versions of instructions on google, a few here in these forums, and a nice pictorial on the webos wiki. I don't know which is the most current, though. For instance, in one tutorial it says "you can't use sprint navigation after this upgrade" and in a forum post I read "got sprint nav working on my Frankenpre2".

Thanks for any tips.
    I do not have an answer to your question, but I believe HellowNewman (yeah not taking the time for all the extra letters) Franken Pre'd a while back when a Pre2 was on it's last legs... I could be wrong though, a lot of us that could, just up and left Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    ...What is the latest and most definitive guide to swapping a com board out of a Pre- into a Pre2?...
    For instance, in one tutorial it says "you can't use sprint navigation after this upgrade" and in a forum post I read "got sprint nav working on my Frankenpre2".

Thanks for any tips.
    I've done this 4 times now for my wife and myself.
    For the software portion I refer to the WebOS-Internals guide. I build and apply the meta-doctor on a Ubuntu (actually Xubuntu) laptop:
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals
    All my conversions have been CDMA->CDMA so I do a comm board-only swap and find this youTube extremely valuable and even after 4 x I still watch at least a minute of it to refresh:

*If you are using a GSM Pre2, I think you need to retain the bezel (and antenna) and I'm not familiar with that route...
    To touch on the Sprint Nav issue, to my knowledge it is correct that *none* of the Sprint branded apps survive the meta-doctor. I never really missed any of them enough to find a way to reload them...
    -Good luck and take it slow!
    ---bbito
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    You just have to reload the files for sprint navigation, amazon, and sprint tv.
    So I just did my first Pre- to Franken Pre 2 Webos v2.2.4 conversion less then a week ago and I got everything I needed to work and was easier then I thought. I have not tried to buy any apps yet, but that shouldn't be an issue. There is some confusion about Sprint Navigation working on the Franken Pre 2. I will get to that later, but let me first give you the resources that I used.

Hardware:
    Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals - Instructions for CDMA Pre- and Unlocked GSM Pre2. Should also work for CDMA Pre- and CDMA Pre2. Follow instructions as they are written. For Step 16 you will need to use ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.2.4

Software:
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals - Follow All instructions, Especially "Step 2: Prepare your Palm Profile" I didnt do that, and had to go back and delete the profile backup to get my device name to be correct. This link pretty much has all previous issues and solutions for them. Other then Sprint Navigation.

Using only those two links should provide you have everything you need to get WebOS 2.2.4 up and running on a Franken Pre 2. But without Sprint Nav.

I also read through the main post here Sprint Franken Pre 2 with webOS 2.2.4 but didn't get much useful information from it.

Sprint Navigation is possible on a Franken Pre 2 but it technically is illegal (I believe) because it requires you to use a unofficial version which was in a Leaked WebOS v2.x Doctor for the Sprint Pre-. I was unable to find either the Leaked WebOS Doctor or the Unofficial Sprint Navigation online anywhere. The Sprint Nav from the WebOS v1.4.5 Sprint Doctor will not work on WebOS v2.x

Leaked Sprint Pre- WebOS v2.1 File Name: Palm-webOS-Doctor_webOS-Sprint-pre_pre_sprint.jar
    Unofficial Sprint Navigation File Name: com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.1-86_armv7.ipk

If you are able to get your hands on either of those you can follow the instruction at the following link to get it working.
    Anyone get Sprint Nav working on 2.1.0?

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Last edited by elpollodiablo1; 05/09/2013 at 10:19 AM.
    Rocking out Franken Pre2 2.2.4 and TP 3.0.5

Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    So I just did my first Pre- to Franken Pre 2 Webos v2.2.4 conversion less then a week ago and I got everything I needed to work and was easier then I thought. I have not tried to buy any apps yet, but that shouldn't be an issue. There is some confusion about Sprint Navigation working on the Franken Pre 2. I will get to that later, but let me first give you the resources that I used.

Hardware:
    Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals - Instructions for CDMA Pre- and Unlocked GSM Pre2. Should also work for CDMA Pre- and CDMA Pre2. Follow instructions as they are written. For Step 16 you will need to use ./scripts/meta-sprint-franken-unlocked-pre2-2.2.4

Software:
    WebOS 2 Upgrade - WebOS Internals - Follow All instructions, Especially "Step 2: Prepare your Palm Profile" I didnt do that, and had to go back and delete the profile backup to get my device name to be correct. This link pretty much has all previous issues and solutions for them. Other then Sprint Navigation.

Using only those two links should provide you have everything you need to get WebOS 2.2.4 up and running on a Franken Pre 2. But without Sprint Nav.

I also read through the main post here Sprint Franken Pre 2 with webOS 2.2.4 but didn't get much useful information from it.

Sprint Navigation is possible on a Franken Pre 2 but it technically is illegal (I believe) because it requires you to use a unofficial version which was in a Leaked WebOS v2.x Doctor for the Sprint Pre-. I was unable to find either the Leaked WebOS Doctor or the Unofficial Sprint Navigation online anywhere. The Sprint Nav from the WebOS v1.4.5 Sprint Doctor will not work on WebOS v2.x

Leaked Sprint Pre- WebOS v2.1 File Name: Palm-webOS-Doctor_webOS-Sprint-pre_pre_sprint.jar
    Unofficial Sprint Navigation File Name: com.telenav.sprintnavigation_1.0.1-86_armv7.ipk

If you are able to get your hands on either of those you can follow the instruction at the following link to get it working.
    Anyone get Sprint Nav working on 2.1.0?

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Thanks, all of you! Exactly what I was looking for. Loss of navigation would be a big deal, unfortunately. Time to look for a webOS nav app.
    Sprint Nav app...

I am a Verizon user so do not know...

I seem to remember it being downloadable via TeleNav, Inc. website.

Also AT&T and Sprint use the same APP, which have a few differences, if one can look at the webOS 1.4.5 versions (compare AT&T to Sprint), One can take the APP from AT&T Pre3 webOS 2.2.4 and design a Sprint version based on those differences?
    It's downloadable for other platforms, but not webOS. And since 2.0 never launched on Sprint, that package was never published outside of the beta doctor.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    One thing that stumped me was me was the instalation of the java drivers in the Unbutu. For some reason the webos internals did not work 100%, I had install a couple variant files of the jaba for it to work.
    Let's go LG, be not like HP.

Qualcom 2700 > Touchpoint Dual Band> Samsung n400> Treo 650> Treo 800w> LG Optimus S> Pre > Franken Pre 2 > Moto X
    Yeah I recall a couple of things that didn't quite install as documented, but I think that is part if the evolving landscape of Ubuntu. Rod would probably scold us for not updating the wiki.
    Has anyone got the instructions for REVERSING the FrankenPre process?

We have an unlocked GSM Pre 2 that was converted to a Sprint FrankenPre. Finally convinced my friend who won't give it up to switch to T-Mobile due to bad Sprint service and to save money, but now we have to make her phone GSM again.
    On the software installation part, the doctor would not recognize my usb plug, and so would not run. This was preceded by the HP drivers failing to install, (which is a sub step in the doctor). I got past it all by installing the universal novacom installer. http://universal-novacom-installer.g...taller-1.3.jar
    Then, start the doctor again, everything went very smoothly and quickly.