Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  1.    #1  
    It's been a long time since I've converted my unlocked GSM Pre2 into a Sprint FrankenPre2. Now, I'm getting ready to convert it back, but forgot the dang steps. LOL

Anyone remember the steps for changing the Sprint FrankenPre2 back into the unlocked GSM Pre2, or know of the thread for this? There are a few threads asking the question, but none with the answer I could find.
    Hypothetically shouldn't it be "reverse the hardware process and apply GSM Doctor?"
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    The only thing I wondered about is if you have to meta doctor to put the original tokens back on it. There are parts of that process that really aren't very clear. I used a Pre2 specifically because it was an automated process to create the doctor.
  4.    #4  
    As Grabber mentioned, I seem to also remember reading that you had to metadoctor back before you could use the device because of the hardware change... but I can't remember or find the info to confirm.
    Nothing more simple: swap the commboards and reset apps & data.

To make a really good work, just doctorize the original doctor.

More simple, is impossible. There is no comparison with create a Franken...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
  6.    #6  
    So, no need to MetaDoctor back in any way? I had to do so when I created the FrankenPre2, so I was thinking you had to go the reverse. Hmmm... cool Thanks!
    No, all origjnal doctors have support to cdma & gsm Pres.

Te diference is that cdma doctors have no support to Sim Cards (No simcard tool kit).

All other details is more than perfect.

I have more than 12 cdma commboards here, from this process that I made to other Pre users In Brazil...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
  8.    #8  
    Thanks! Why was it required to run a custom MetaDoctor on the device before I originally swapped the Comm boards the first time then? Was it because the Doctors at that time didn't have that support built in?
    I believe that the real problem is the token: in GSM, all informations about the carrier are in sim card, while in CMDA, this informations stay in device firmware; in other words, just change the simcard and the information about the carrier is updated, but need change the device system to update in CDMA.

Anyway, is fantastic that the webOS is ready to work with both systems in the same firmware!

Best Regards...
    Okay, been digging through search and the wikis and cannot find the answer.

We have a Pre 2 Unlocked GSM that was converted to a Sprint FrankenPre using an original Sprint Pre comm board.

Now, we're switching it from a Sprint account to a T-Mobile account. Unfortunately, it is of course, still a FrankenPre and we'd like it to be a GSM Pre 2 again.

I can't seem to find steps for this. Somehow my instinct says to swap the comm board back, and then run a regular Doctor on it... However, I don't want to BRICK it (she'll kill me), and so I'm not sure if any other steps are required to restore it to original unlocked GSM condition.

Any tips?
    I believe you have the right idea, reversing hardware changes and redoctoring with factory versions. Just make sure you get all the backups updated (save/restore, etc) before surgery.

And actually... isn't the memory module also on the comms board? If you never used the replaced GSM board, it may still be factory fresh when you put it back in. Don't know if the Doctor is still needed to reinitialize anything else though. Of course if you put the Pre- back together, it'll be a bit... confused.

Also, I'd be sure the old CDMA board doesn't talk to your Profile once you activate the GSM 2.
    No, the memory is on the main board.
    Yup,

Backup your WebOS profile then swap out the comm card, boot into USB mode and doctor with the original image and poof your back in service.

Hans
    Done and working, thanks!
  15.    #15