webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > pre 2 purchase advice
pre 2 purchase advice
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dballew
  • 1 Post By creepingmee

Old 04/20/2013, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

hello people!

I got a question. I am thinking about buying a unlock gsm pre 2 for use on tmobile, however I currently don't have data on my plan (lost job) can I still activate the pre on my home wifi? This will be my first webos device (I have always wanted to try webos, but honestly I was always waiting for better hardware and apps ..... that didn't work out). Should I bother? What attracted me to the phone (besides my long time curiosity of the platform) was the price that it is currently at and the community that writes articles like this <link removed> lot of love for a post mortem platform. I though since I don't really have data right now and only thinking about wifi hot spotting I really wont miss any apps from android, plus I'm about to buy a ipad (for school, so many pdfs to read) .... well guess thats the story let me know what the you people think.

ohhh! and should I get a pre 2 for 50 bucks or shell out an extra 80 for a pre 3?

Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 04/20/2013 at 07:25 PM. Reason: mod edit removed link
gagetbOy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2013, 12:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you install preware you will be able to use it on just wifi. For that you will need a pc/mac.

In my opinion go for the pre3.
itsjustheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2013, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

For your best experience I would go with the Pre2. I think there are more apps and patches available for it. I have a Pre2 on Sprint and even with that hacking I love it. And for $49 that's a good price to get your feet wet, so to speak. Enjoy your new Pre! Oh and be sure to get a touchstone charger for it. So worth it. I even have one in my car.
dballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.
Old 04/21/2013, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

+1 good advice

I'm on Sprint and have a FrankenPre2, but am switching over to T-Mobile this month (hopefully). Once I do, I'll grab a Pre3 as a second phone and also MetaDoctor my Pre2 and put the GSM module back in to use on that service. The Pre3 is a great device (had one for a while) and I'm not going to be without a webOS device on the new service once I head over there. I'd also suggest using your Pre2 as your first device for the same reasons as above. If you want a larger phone, the Pre3 is amazing, but it doesn't have as many apps.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/21/2013, 12:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

ok that all makes sense thanks for the information everyone! I think I'll get the pre 2.
Old 04/21/2013, 02:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

um, $80 for a pre3 is unheard of low. I'd buy as many pre3s as I could at $80 and double my money on them easily.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by carancha likes this.
Old 04/21/2013, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
um, $80 for a pre3 is unheard of low. I'd buy as many pre3s as I could at $80 and double my money on them easily.
haha its not 80 dollars its 130 dollars
Old 04/21/2013, 04:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagetbOy View Post
haha its not 80 dollars its 130 dollars
haha its not 80 dollars its 80 plus the 50 for the pre 2 so its 130 dollors
Old 04/22/2013, 01:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagetbOy View Post
hello people!

I got a question. I am thinking about buying a unlock gsm pre 2 for use on tmobile, however I currently don't have data on my plan (lost job) can I still activate the pre on my home wifi? This will be my first webos device (I have always wanted to try webos, but honestly I was always waiting for better hardware and apps ..... that didn't work out). Should I bother? What attracted me to the phone (besides my long time curiosity of the platform) was the price that it is currently at and the community that writes articles like this <link removed> lot of love for a post mortem platform. I though since I don't really have data right now and only thinking about wifi hot spotting I really wont miss any apps from android, plus I'm about to buy a ipad (for school, so many pdfs to read) .... well guess thats the story let me know what the you people think.

ohhh! and should I get a pre 2 for 50 bucks or shell out an extra 80 for a pre 3?
As I don't have a Pre3, I can't speak about that.. but with several Pre2 at my house (kids) I'd say that I might have a certain point of view.

The kids absolutely love their phones, and tend to compare them to other's phones and for a 2 year old machine, it's still holding up incredibly well... they even have some people asking where they can get one once they see how they are compared to their Android or iPhones.

But anyways... I saw that no one has actually answered your question about activation in detail...

First, the best way is to simply borrow someone's SIM that has a DATA plan... believe me, it takes five-ten minutes at most, and once the account is set up and once you are rebooting to the level of being able to set your WIFI, you then switch the SIM and finish the setup.

The alternative consist of several step, bypassing the setup via dev mode, loading a few preware apps, and so forth... here's another thread that talks all about it, including various instructions and links... and you'll see that it's not straightforward and can end up that it simply doesn't work. Bypass Pre 2 activation screen

For my kids' phones, I did the bypass to test the phones and have them on WIFI until I went and got them some SIMS (phone plan only), as the phones were Christmas presents.

Once I had the SIMS, I found that the attempt to set the phones up via WIFI bypass simply wasn't worth the trouble and I just used my SIM (I have a DATA plan on mine) to set the phones up, did that, and placed their SIMs back after the setup done, and now they ran off WIFI for data, and outside, the phones are just that ...phones.

If you don't have family or a friend that can assist, just going to your cellphone store, they normally have demo/test SIMS that you should be able to borrow for this setup. Trust me, it beats trying the alternative as that could take you hours and still no way to assure that it'll work.
Thanked By: gagetbOy