Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have a Sprint FrankePre 2 that has been just gathering dust since late 2011. I decided to give it away and first needed to permanently delete all my data etc.

I posted in the Palm Pre 2 forum and asked how best to do this; I was advised that a simple "Secure Full Erase" was OK.

However, ever since I did that, the device will not reboot. I gets stuck on the HP logo (after a few minutes of the penguin). I've tried pulling the battery and changing the battery with no luck.

One thing to note: I'm using a third-party charging micro-USB charging cable, not the Palm/HP cables I gave away with other accessories, not thinning I needed to keep one for the FrankenPre.

What should I do now? Should I attempt to use the Doctor? If so, can you direct me to step-by-step instructions? (Sorry, I haven't been on this site since I went all-in with Apple after HP tried to kill webOS etc.)

I thank you and the person who wants my FrankePre thanks you!
    <thread moved to busier forum>

I don't have an answer for best next step on this one. I can tell the OP that the buyer will not be able to directly activate this device on Sprint, the buyer will need and activate original Pre and then preform the comm board swap. (you may already know that but figured it was worth mentioning)
    <bump>
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    <thread moved to busier forum>

I don't have an answer for best next step on this one. I can tell the OP that the buyer will not be able to directly activate this device on Sprint, the buyer will need and activate original Pre and then preform the comm board swap. (you may already know that but figured it was worth mentioning)
    <bump>
    Unless someone uses the provisioning software from the C40 or leaked Doctor for webOS 2.x.x for the Sprint Pre...

Then you are correct...

But I have assisted many in doctoring to webOS 2.0.0 on a Sprint Pre2, using the provisioning software (from the leaked doctor), and then letting it OTA update to webOS 2.2.4, it worked just fine...

I will not share the name of the doctor but it is on a thread in this forum and above I outlined the process, that I know works...

Wiki to webOS Internals doctor Versions:WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
  4.    #4  
    OK, fellas, thanks for the info. However, there's no way I can spend the time trying to figure out all that stuff. I gave that up 1 1/2 years ago when I left webOS! ;-)

Anyway, all I want to be sure of is that my data is GONE! I'm not selling the phone, I'm giving it away to one of you webOS diehards in another country who says he uses a "GSM commboard" and it's not problem not having ability to activate with Sprint.

Is he correct? Will it work? What do I need to do to: 1) make sure my data is gone and 2) make sure he can use the dang thing. (BTW: I still have all the original Pre parts I swapped out.)

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by emjayess View Post
    OK, fellas, thanks for the info. However, there's no way I can spend the time trying to figure out all that stuff. I gave that up 1 1/2 years ago when I left webOS! ;-)

Anyway, all I want to be sure of is that my data is GONE! I'm not selling the phone, I'm giving it away to one of you webOS diehards in another country who says he uses a "GSM commboard" and it's not problem not having ability to activate with Sprint.

Is he correct? Will it work? What do I need to do to: 1) make sure my data is gone and 2) make sure he can use the dang thing. (BTW: I still have all the original Pre parts I swapped out.)

Thanks!
    My advice would be to remove the Pre comm board, put the one that came with the device back, if you modified tokens, then reverse that, then give the phone away... So at least then the Pre could be used on sprint and the pre2 is back to what it was when you bought it?

Sounds like a lot of work, but you could sent it to the guy (with your Pre) have him swap it back and send your pre back to you if you do not want to do the work, kind of his payment for the gifted phone?
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    One detail: I has this problem when I erase (simple or full) after install all my patches, but I don't know who was the bad guy; in other words, I never separated the wheat from the chaff...

Anyway, the only solution that worked with me after stuck was use the doctor...

Since than, I always uninstall all patches, use ERP or Doctorize my Pres before erase, to escape from this problem...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)