webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Playing music over bluetooth stutter
Playing music over bluetooth stutter

Old 04/15/2013, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi guys,

I am writing because I would like to know if anyone else is having a stutter problem when playing music over bluetooth in an unlocked Pre 2 with webOS 2.1.0. (or any other model of our beloved webOS phones).

The explanation goes like this: my car is a 2010 VW Bora (or Jetta in the US) and it pairs the car stereo with my phone perfectly. I can make and receive calls without issues. My problem comes when I play music on the phone. It goes fine but sometimes it makes a jump on a random track (it is something like 0.5 seconds). There is not a pattern or anything, it plays music fine for a 2 or 3 songs and then in the next song, a bump in the track appears.

The problem appears with my unlocked Palm Pre 2 with webOS 2.1.0, this is my 2nd Pre 2 and on my 1st I also had the same problem. At the moment my Veer is my primary device but I would like to return to my Pre 2 because of the bigger screen.

I had paired with the same car my previous Palm Pixi Plus with 1.4.5 without issues, also my HP Veer with 2.1.2 plays fine all the time.

My Pre 2 is overclocked and when playing with the settings in Govnah, sometimes I get the stutter more frequently (screenstatev3 and lagfree governors) than with stock, with other settings I get the stutter problem less frequently than with stock (ondemandtcl), I can not get rid of the problem no matter what combination I try (not many since I am not an expert). BTW with stock I also get the stutter problem.

Any ideas?
Old 04/15/2013, 06:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

does it only do it when screen is off ?
Are you running govnah?
if you are make sure you have "screen state enable = false"
this allows full cpu frequency with screen off.
otherwise if set to true uses "screen off max freq = XXXMHz" to limit max cpu frequncy.

I had similar problem with pre3 and above fixed it. will test more on weekend and report back.

Last edited by Firepower; 04/15/2013 at 07:06 PM.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/15/2013, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's 2.1... you'd need to go with 2.4 as it fixed it, but problem is, it also becomes a #*&^%#&^$%#$ pain about which Bluetooth devices will work with it.

Since I updated my PRe2, Bluetooth earpieces have gone from working perfectly to having to buy and test a bunch of model (Samsung HM3700 is what I now have and it's working ok).

But with 2.4, the stereo (with stereo headphones or speakers) is fairly perfect.

I don't overclock my phone and while I have a few things (including Govnah), I believe that older devices are probably a part of the problem as older BT headsets did give me a bit of issue, but switched to the Creative Lab WP250 and 350 and it's been great. (and also the Creative BT speakers)
Old 04/15/2013, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have unlocked pre2 (frankenpre), no issues here. I have had this happen before tho, probly something to do with govnah setings.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/16/2013, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe the problem is because of webOS 2.1.0 but I do not want to upgrade to 2.2.4 because it messes up my wifi connection (I have another post about that). Thanks for the info...
Regarding Govnah settings, last night I made sure the "screen state enable = false" was there, that option appears with the "ondemandtcl" governor but my problem is still there.
Today I tried with "Performance" set to 1.2 and the I/O scheduler in Deadline. It was a 23 minute ride with flawless music, I was one block away from my work so I was almost calling victory but then a stutter appeared, I am not sure if the I/O scheduler has anything to do with it but tonight I will try performance 1.2 with "noop".
I will let you know how it goes..
Old 04/16/2013, 12:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilledil View Post
Maybe the problem is because of webOS 2.1.0 but I do not want to upgrade to 2.2.4 because it messes up my wifi connection (I have another post about that). Thanks for the info...
Regarding Govnah settings, last night I made sure the "screen state enable = false" was there, that option appears with the "ondemandtcl" governor but my problem is still there.
Today I tried with "Performance" set to 1.2 and the I/O scheduler in Deadline. It was a 23 minute ride with flawless music, I was one block away from my work so I was almost calling victory but then a stutter appeared, I am not sure if the I/O scheduler has anything to do with it but tonight I will try performance 1.2 with "noop".
I will let you know how it goes..
Now I'm curious... what problem with WIFI do you have... first time I hear of it... guess I'll have to track your post down.

Edit: ok, found your post, but not enough details to see why you're having issues with the WIFI.

I have four Pre2 (me and the kids all have one, while wife has my original Pre), and they all work fine.

Mine and one of the kids have the data plan (also my wife) and they all work via 3G or WIFI, switching automatically to the proper one (WIFI at home and work and at friends) and once out of range, switches to 3G/DATA plan.

2 of the phones don't have data plans and work only via WIFI for data (they have pay as you go phone cards), and I've yet to have any issues.

The only thing I've seen is that the router has some time had a problem renewing the IP, but it's the router (as this affects random devices, such as the laptops/netbook/Touchpad, other phones (from visitors).

One important detail would be to ensure that it's not your router that's the issue, some can be quite problematic and lack of compatibility with many devices. Testing the different channels has helped some, etc.

But while I'm very peeved that BT compatibility was a bit messed up with 2.1's transition to 2.4, ( bought 3-4 earpieces and still had issues, and the one I now have is close to perfect...close but not perfect, so using the voice dialing is hit and miss still) there's quite a few fixes for other things that I'm always torn to why they can't fix and release a final update, as they are aware of this and a few other bugs.

Last edited by imfallen_angel; 04/17/2013 at 06:58 AM.
imfallen_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/17/2013, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is very frustrating for me to know it is possible to work with a Pre 2 in 2.2.4 w/o data plan and using Wifi instead. In my case it has never worked. Maybe the router is the answer but I would need to find time to check on that and doctor my Pre 2. The problem in my case was on the web browser app, it never loaded and would just display the spinning grey circle. Besides that I could use the HP catalog, use Preware, sync my email over wifi successfully.

But going back to my bluetooth issue in 2.1.0, looks like I will continue playing with Govnah setting. I guess I will stay will the Performance governor and anticipatory I/O scheduler. Today I just got a single jump on a track (a very short jump in fact) in a 25 minute ride from home to work... I would prefer perfect bluetooth audio but we cannot have everything in life, right?
Old 04/17/2013, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by guilledil View Post
It is very frustrating for me to know it is possible to work with a Pre 2 in 2.2.4 w/o data plan and using Wifi instead. In my case it has never worked. Maybe the router is the answer but I would need to find time to check on that and doctor my Pre 2. The problem in my case was on the web browser app, it never loaded and would just display the spinning grey circle. Besides that I could use the HP catalog, use Preware, sync my email over wifi successfully.

But going back to my bluetooth issue in 2.1.0, looks like I will continue playing with Govnah setting. I guess I will stay will the Performance governor and anticipatory I/O scheduler. Today I just got a single jump on a track (a very short jump in fact) in a 25 minute ride from home to work... I would prefer perfect bluetooth audio but we cannot have everything in life, right?
Well, you're truly providing quite a few examples of why not updating and tweaking too much can lead to headaches... LOL.

I used to use my LifeDrive with BlueTooth stereo headset and that would skip quite a bit, the sound quality was poor, but hey, it was wireless!

I tried using my Lifedrive the other day, after using my Pre2 and Touchpad over BT for a long time now with excellent sound with newer headsets, and the difference was like listening an old radio broadcast from the 50s.

But overall, BlueTooth can skip once in a while if something powerful enough gets too close, or you get a burst of some sort of radio signal.

One headset I have gets annoyed when someone in the office turns their BT on, on their laptop and the darn thing tries to connect to anything and everything, but these Creative labs devices (headsets and speakers) have been pretty close to flawless, so I'd recommend them easily.
Old 04/17/2013, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

I can verify Pre2 on 2.2.4 with very stable WiFi as well (two of em actually), Pre3 not so much
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote