Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Hi! I was posting this on the thread about the Best Buy Verizon Pre 2 sale. Thought may it have it's own threat.

Since I'm not activating my Pre 2, I want to tether it to my Android phone. This is where I am:

I thought I needed a tether client on the Pre, but it looks like the Pre needs a client only to tether with bluetooth. I'm not sure about USB, but I doubt it. I'll have to get a USB micro-to-micro cable to try it. I tried FoxFi wifi tether, but it failed starting the hotspot. When I try to turn on the hotspot by hand in settings, I get an error that it can't find com.blah.blah.TurnOnOffWifi. I thought maybe the custom ROM deleted or froze that. I searched my phone, but didn't find anything. I believe I'd turn on wifi before I tied to activate the hotspot. I turn it off and tried again and it worked!

I could see the hotspot on the Pre, so I tried connecting. After a few false starts, I was able to get passed the login, but it failed obtaining an IP address. I tried setting the IP address, mask, gateway, etc by hand and was able to connect. But when I tried to go to a web site, I got an error that the internet was not available. So the phones are talking, but the Pre is not reaching the 'net. I have 4G on, I can get to places on the 'net on my Android phone, but the data TX/RX lights don't blink when the Pre ties to access the 'net.

I think because I'm not getting the IP address automatically, the Pre is only visible on the local network. I'll have to figure out why Auto works on our homw network, but not the hotspot.

I'll update soon.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Question: is it possible to tether over wifi if cell data is not available. That is, can the wifi on my Android handle both the data to and from the 'net AND the tether to the Pre? Or do I have to have 4G turned on? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Perhaps I'm not fully understanding your situation, but if your Android is connected to the internet via a wifi access point, why not directly connect the Pre to the same wifi access point as the Android?

With regard to your question (tethering over wifi if cell data not available), sadly, I do not know.

Good luck.
    Palm III, Palm T3, Palm Treo 650, Palm Pre+, hp Pre 3, Touchpad
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Well...I didn't say it was a PRACTICAL question. I'm just wondering if it's possible. I could contrive a situation, say I want to let my kids play on some public wifi on the Pre and I have a firewall on the Android phone, or some such thing.

I was testing FoxFi at home and my phone switched from 4G to wifi. I just wondered if it should work.

Quote Originally Posted by hrhoades View Post
    Perhaps I'm not fully understanding your situation, but if your Android is connected to the internet via a wifi access point, why not directly connect the Pre to the same wifi access point as the Android?

With regard to your question (tethering over wifi if cell data not available), sadly, I do not know.

Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tjgriffin View Post
    Well...I didn't say it was a PRACTICAL question. I'm just wondering if it's possible. I could contrive a situation, say I want to let my kids play on some public wifi on the Pre and I have a firewall on the Android phone, or some such thing.

I was testing FoxFi at home and my phone switched from 4G to wifi. I just wondered if it should work.
    Well, that really doesn't make sense..

I believe I understand what you're saying, you want the Pre to connect to your Android via WIFI which in turn will be acting as a firewall for the public WIFI.

Honestly, why?

And why not simply let the Pre connect to the public WIFI?

Afraid of what? hacking? so far I don't believe it's possible to hack a Pre like this, heck, they are are probably so rare that a public wifi would not even expect a Pre/WebOs in it's system.

For blocking sites? if yes, time to have a talk to the kid and explain that some site = don't go there.

WIFI hotspot/tethering is to make the phone into a local WIFI using it's 3G/4G connection, not a bridge to a local WIFI source, so I can't even see how the system would be able to negotiate the traffic on it's antenna like this.

That's sounds to me like someone asking if they can hook a water/garden hose to water guns on both side and still expect water to come out.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I'm asking purely out of curiosity. I don't actually want to do it, I just wonder if it can be handled in software. Clearly networking is not my area of expertise. The question popped in my head while I was testing FoxFi at home, the Android switched from 4G to my home wifi for data. I'm pretty sure all that was clear in my previous response that you quoted. I appreciate the facts in your reply. You seem like a nice guy so I'll just ignore the condescending parts.

Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Well, that really doesn't make sense..

I believe I understand what you're saying, you want the Pre to connect to your Android via WIFI which in turn will be acting as a firewall for the public WIFI.

Honestly, why?

And why not simply let the Pre connect to the public WIFI?

Afraid of what? hacking? so far I don't believe it's possible to hack a Pre like this, heck, they are are probably so rare that a public wifi would not even expect a Pre/WebOs in it's system.

For blocking sites? if yes, time to have a talk to the kid and explain that some site = don't go there.

WIFI hotspot/tethering is to make the phone into a local WIFI using it's 3G/4G connection, not a bridge to a local WIFI source, so I can't even see how the system would be able to negotiate the traffic on it's antenna like this.

That's sounds to me like someone asking if they can hook a water/garden hose to water guns on both side and still expect water to come out.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I got it working! After looking at custom ROMs and noticing some had things that didn't work, like wifi tether, I started Googling my ROM. I couldn't find anything that said one way or the other for sure, but I did find references to folks having trouble tethering with the same phone. The solutions offered used "Wifi Tether Root" from Google Play Store. Downloaded, set up as suggested and it worked first time.

So, tethering is working on my Android with the ROM I'm using. FoxFi doesn't seem to be able to get a WAN IP address. One of the things I switched on in Wifi Tether was "Routing Fix." I don't know, but I guess that has to do with routing data to the internet. FoxFi does not have any such option, which may be why it can't get an IP addr.

I copied the IP settings that Wifi Tether sends to the Pre. I started the FoxFi hotspot and turned off the auto IP on the Pre and enter what I'd copied. The tethered, but FoxFi still could not get an IP address.

Wifi Tether works very well. Just for fun, I play more with FoxFi and try to figure out why it does not work.
    Last edited by tjgriffin; 04/12/2013 at 02:59 PM.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I'm going to tattoo a big scarlet "I" on my forehead...

Turns out HTC phones are well know to have problems wifi tether using FoxFi. Their web site even list my phone as not working. Obviously, VZW is privy to the magic that makes it work, probably by design. I'm guessing that Wifi Tether has discovered the way. So I will use Wifi Tether!

Cheers!
    I'm asking purely out of curiosity. I don't actually want to do it, I just wonder if it can be handled in software. Clearly networking is not my area of expertise. The question popped in my head while I was testing FoxFi at home, the Android switched from 4G to my home wifi for data. I'm pretty sure all that was clear in my previous response that you quoted. I appreciate the facts in your reply. You seem like a nice guy so I'll just ignore the condescending parts.
    Oh, not at all condescending... I was puzzled, just very puzzled.

Trying to be sure that I understood your question so that I could see what I could find to assist.

So I was truly asking why you'd want to do this as I didn't see a clear reason why you wanted to, what advantages you'd have to do this, etc.
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Okay. Fair enough. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Oh, not at all condescending... I was puzzled, just very puzzled.

Trying to be sure that I understood your question so that I could see what I could find to assist.

So I was truly asking why you'd want to do this as I didn't see a clear reason why you wanted to, what advantages you'd have to do this, etc.
    Okay. Fair enough. Sorry for misunderstanding.
    No problem, but I gather that you've resolved your issue?

I have to admit that it's still not clear to me...

Was it simply having trouble with tethering the Pre2 with your Android phone?

Or, from what I understood from your description at the beginning, was that you wanted to:

1) Connect your Android to a WIFI
    2) then connect your Pre2 to your Android
    3) The Pre2 would be using the Android's tethering to connect to the local WIFI
    4) the Android would act as a "bridge" between the local Router/WIFI and the Pre2.

That's why my puzzlement.

Your last messages are that you couldn't connect your Pre2 to your Android and that you eventually resolved it by using a third party app on your Android, and entering the IP info manually.

Correct?
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Almost. In the end, I had to use a rooted tether app. FoxiFi doesn't require a rooted phone, but it is known to have trouble working with HTC phones. I could get the phones to talk to each other, but the Pre never got a valid WAN IP address. Using "Wifi Tether for Root Users" I could tether the Pre with no problem using automatic IP settings.

The question of using my Android as a bridge was never my primary question. Just idle curiosity.

I first asked this question from the Best Buy Verizon Pre2 thread.

Since I didn't activate the Pre, I wanted to tether it to my Android phone. There were plenty of info about tethering TO the Pre, but not much going the other way. My first objective was to find out what others had tried, what worked, what didn't and so on. My second objective was to publish my experience to let others know what I'd found.

What I learned:

1) Bluetooth tethering needs an app on both side of the connection. All the apps that allow BT tethering look for a client on the device one wants to connect.

2) I initially thought I also needed a client to tether over wifi, but was quickly learned that's not so. In hindsight, that's pretty obvious.

3) FoxiFi on HTC phones most likely won't work no matter what you want to tether. One will most likely need to be rooted to tether over wifi. This is true of some non-HTC phones, but HTC phones pretty consistently fail without rooting. The Pre is not a factor in this problem. USB tethering usually (always?) works.

4) I had success with an app called "Wifi Tether for Root Users" (no affiliation whatsoever).
    I had to select my phone from their profile list, vs using Automatic. I also had to enable the "Routing Fix" option.

5) Native hotspot/tethering on my phone seems to be broken. I'm not sure if that's because I don't have a tethering plan or because I'm using a custoom ROM. But I can still tether with this 3rd party app. Go figure.

6) I will test if I can tether with wifi only, i.e. with the Android acting as a bridge.

No problem, but I gather that you've resolved your issue?

I have to admit that it's still not clear to me...

Was it simply having trouble with tethering the Pre2 with your Android phone?

Or, from what I understood from your description at the beginning, was that you wanted to:

1) Connect your Android to a WIFI
    2) then connect your Pre2 to your Android
    3) The Pre2 would be using the Android's tethering to connect to the local WIFI
    4) the Android would act as a "bridge" between the local Router/WIFI and the Pre2.

That's why my puzzlement.

Your last messages are that you couldn't connect your Pre2 to your Android and that you eventually resolved it by using a third party app on your Android, and entering the IP info manually.

Correct?
    Almost. In the end, I had to use a rooted tether app. FoxiFi doesn't require a rooted phone, but it is known to have trouble working with HTC phones. I could get the phones to talk to each other, but the Pre never got a valid WAN IP address. Using "Wifi Tether for Root Users" I could tether the Pre with no problem using automatic IP settings.

The question of using my Android as a bridge was never my primary question. Just idle curiosity.

I first asked this question from the Best Buy Verizon Pre2 thread.

Since I didn't activate the Pre, I wanted to tether it to my Android phone. There were plenty of info about tethering TO the Pre, but not much going the other way. My first objective was to find out what others had tried, what worked, what didn't and so on. My second objective was to publish my experience to let others know what I'd found.

What I learned:

1) Bluetooth tethering needs an app on both side of the connection. All the apps that allow BT tethering look for a client on the device one wants to connect.

2) I initially thought I also needed a client to tether over wifi, but was quickly learned that's not so. In hindsight, that's pretty obvious.

3) FoxiFi on HTC phones most likely won't work no matter what you want to tether. One will most likely need to be rooted to tether over wifi. This is true of some non-HTC phones, but HTC phones pretty consistently fail without rooting. The Pre is not a factor in this problem. USB tethering usually (always?) works.

4) I had success with an app called "Wifi Tether for Root Users" (no affiliation whatsoever).
    I had to select my phone from their profile list, vs using Automatic. I also had to enable the "Routing Fix" option.

5) Native hotspot/tethering on my phone seems to be broken. I'm not sure if that's because I don't have a tethering plan or because I'm using a custoom ROM. But I can still tether with this 3rd party app. Go figure.

6) I will test if I can tether with wifi only, i.e. with the Android acting as a bridge.
    Interesting, but something that I've been seeing in the last few years; that overall, most other phones, it's a 50/50 thing if it can tether properly.

So far, I've tested a few things (my Pre2 being the hotspot) and so far, never an issue.

So, I guess that once again, we have to see that hte technology and quality of the Pres (2 year old phone... or is that 3 years now?) is still on par to new phones/tech... same as the Touchpad, for all the whining and bad reviews, I still find that so many things are still better than newer tablets.

Heck, the Touchpad has both 2.4 and 5 Ghz capacity for WIFI, something that the Asus Transformers don't. That and the surround sound projection capacity blows every tablet I've seen away.

But you should unlock your phone.. it would at least remove some possible questions to why it can or can't do some things.
    I see a pattern...
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I agree. My TX, at a comparable age of the Pre, had lost almost all of it's utility. My 2nd gen iPod Touch is obsolete. Hardware wise, it's still usable, but Apple makes it hard, if not impossible, for devs support older devices. Sad.

My Pre is a Verizon no contract deal. It's as unlocked as it's going to get. I think of it as a pocket TP instead of a phone. My Android is rooted and running a custom ROM. I may play around with different ROMs, but I'm pretty happy with it the way it is.

I'm very happy I got tethering working. Not only is it good for my Pre, but now the kids can play with computers on long car trips.

Cheers!

Interesting, but something that I've been seeing in the last few years; that overall, most other phones, it's a 50/50 thing if it can tether properly.

So far, I've tested a few things (my Pre2 being the hotspot) and so far, never an issue.

So, I guess that once again, we have to see that hte technology and quality of the Pres (2 year old phone... or is that 3 years now?) is still on par to new phones/tech... same as the Touchpad, for all the whining and bad reviews, I still find that so many things are still better than newer tablets.

Heck, the Touchpad has both 2.4 and 5 Ghz capacity for WIFI, something that the Asus Transformers don't. That and the surround sound projection capacity blows every tablet I've seen away.

But you should unlock your phone.. it would at least remove some possible questions to why it can or can't do some things.
    I agree. My TX, at a comparable age of the Pre, had lost almost all of it's utility. My 2nd gen iPod Touch is obsolete. Hardware wise, it's still usable, but Apple makes it hard, if not impossible, for devs support older devices. Sad.

My Pre is a Verizon no contract deal. It's as unlocked as it's going to get. I think of it as a pocket TP instead of a phone. My Android is rooted and running a custom ROM. I may play around with different ROMs, but I'm pretty happy with it the way it is.

I'm very happy I got tethering working. Not only is it good for my Pre, but now the kids can play with computers on long car trips.

Cheers!
    Got a TX and several Lifedrive, and still they do things that even new devices can't do... But at some point the Pre is too handy and internet access is way too limited with them.
    I see a pattern...