1.    #1  
    I have an old Sprint FrankenPre 2 I'm going to get rid of and I need to make sure all my data is off it. It has no phone or data connection except Wi-Fi and hasn't since Fall of 2011.

Which of the ERASE options should I choose so that:

1) ALL my data is permanently erased, and

2) the device is still operational as a Sprint FrankenPre 2 for the next user?

(I'm guessing I should not use the Doctor, correct?)

Thanks!
    All data. Provided there are no additional modifications to /var, everything should still work.
    Yep, as GMman stated you should be fine running any of the erase options. If you doctor, be sure to run the proper version for your phone.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
    All data. Provided there are no additional modifications to /var, everything should still work.
    Not sure what you mean by "modifications to /var," please explain, if you have a minute.

So, I'd like to avoid using the Doctor as I use a Mac now and my Windows machine was formatted and I don't have the files and don't remember how to do it all etc. So am I reading y'all correctly that just using the stock "Secure Full Erase" and/or "Full Erase" option is good enough?

Thanks again!

EDIT: Also, after I reset it, can a Sprint FrankenPre 2 be used in another country where the original Pre 2 was sold using the GSM com-board? Thanks!
    Last edited by emjayess; 04/05/2013 at 09:20 PM.
  5.    #5  
    *bump*
    -If you're not familiar with what /var is, then you probably never did anything to modify it in a problematic way, so don't worry about it.

-you plan to replace the Sprint comm board with a GSM comm board, you will want to run an appropriate metadotor anyway to accommodate that hardware change. The reset options are not enough in that case.
  7.    #7  
    OK, thanks. I guess I'll just do the Secure Full Erase and let the new owner worry about the board issue.
  8.    #8  
    Ahem...I started the "Secure Full Erase" over an hour ago and it seemed to go through the erase procedure OK, but it's been trying to restart ever since. The glowing HP icon has been showing for about an hour or more.

Suggestions?!
    Whoops!
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Whoops!
    Ah, thanks, I guess.

Yup, it's still going...and glowing. Has the FrankenPre finally met its demise in the burning castle?!
  11.    #11  
    Still no luck, just he HP glow. I've tried pulling the battery. I've tried putting a different battery in.

Question: does it make a difference that I'm using a non-Palm/HP charging cord going directly into the Pre? Would that cause it not to boot up after a Secure Full Erase? (I've never used it before and I don't have any HP cables left--just the Touchstones--since getting rid of other webOS stuff.)

I suppose I should have asked the webOS Internals guys who created the whole Homebrew and FrankenPre world before I did anything, I don't know.....

Should I download the webOS doctor for the Pre 2 and try that?