webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Radios shut down/restart with keyboard open or close
Radios shut down/restart with keyboard open or close

Old 03/08/2013, 06:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

My year old FrankenPre 2 has just developed the issue that, whenever the keyboard is opened or closed, both the phone and data services stop, and turn back on after 2 sec (phone radio) and 8 - 10 sec (3G radio). They cut off together, and the phone radio always comes back 1st.

Anyone have ideas on what's wrong or how to fix this? I had someone else do the FrankenPre surgery, but I suppose I could bite the bullet and go under the hood myself if I have to.

TIA!
Old 03/09/2013, 08:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtm View Post
My year old FrankenPre 2 has just developed the issue that, whenever the keyboard is opened or closed, both the phone and data services stop, and turn back on after 2 sec (phone radio) and 8 - 10 sec (3G radio). They cut off together, and the phone radio always comes back 1st.

Anyone have ideas on what's wrong or how to fix this? I had someone else do the FrankenPre surgery, but I suppose I could bite the bullet and go under the hood myself if I have to.

TIA!
I have done many a franken Pre2 swaps for Sprint users, the comm board can seperate after time making the connection loose (there was sticky tape/bonding glue between the boards) but when one swaps them from pre/preplus to pre2 that bond gets removed.

I would attempt to see if there is any comm board wiggle or if your ribbon from the volume is shorted it can also cause issues or wires to the antenna.

Without logs of the device (which might explain if it is software) this is hard to guess the reason for the comm board issues (which controls the phone radio).
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/09/2013, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, John. Do you have any links that can help guide me through the "surgery"? Also, I don't recall the type/size of screwdriver involved.

Related question: if I ever buy another Pre 2 for replacement, can I merely transfer the comm board from this FrankenPre 2 to the new Pre 2 without having to put it back in the old Pre? (The phone is activated and functioning on Sprint now.)

Thanks again!
David
Old 03/09/2013, 04:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Right.. If it is already active, just swap it in and run the meta doctor. It wouldn't hurt to open it up and make sure the antenna cables are seated good. Those can be checked without taking anything apart. To check the ribbon cables requires separating the keyboard bezel and screws, like you would to do the comm board swap.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0