webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Help ! (Can't access Palm Profile)
Help ! (Can't access Palm Profile)
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bondfast

Old 02/16/2013, 06:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi.

I'm stuck here.

I'm trying to activate my unlocked Pre 2 from ATT on Bell Mobility in Canada. I've done this before (2 years ago) on my old Pre 2 using the APN setting inet.bell.ca.

However, it seems that I can't access my Palm Profile. I know my username & password are correct and the APN setting kicked in 'cos I have 3G up top, but I can't get beyond "Data Not Restored - We were unable to restore your data. Please wait a few minutes & try again". I've tried many times with the same unsuccessful result.

Is there a way around this?

Please help ! - Richard
bondfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can at least reasonably rule out the server. Restored my Palm Profile a moment before reading this.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 08:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
I can at least reasonably rule out the server. Restored my Palm Profile a moment before reading this.
I think maybe Bell doesn"t like me anymore. My 3 year contract expired a year ago & I never respond to their renewal requests. I'm going day to day. I tried reactivating my old Pre 2 with the same unsuccessful result...

If I can't get either activated by tomorrow I guess it"s Blackberry time ...
Old 02/16/2013, 08:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondfast View Post
Hi.

I'm stuck here.

I'm trying to activate my unlocked Pre 2 from ATT on Bell Mobility in Canada. I've done this before (2 years ago) on my old Pre 2 using the APN setting inet.bell.ca.

However, it seems that I can't access my Palm Profile. I know my username & password are correct and the APN setting kicked in 'cos I have 3G up top, but I can't get beyond "Data Not Restored - We were unable to restore your data. Please wait a few minutes & try again". I've tried many times with the same unsuccessful result.

Is there a way around this?

Please help ! - Richard
Use dev mode then impostah, you will loose you backup data, then use backup, backup a empty backup, use impostah, to reset profile and reboot log in restore empty profile and all apps will restore
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Steffes View Post
Use dev mode then impostah, you will loose you backup data, then use backup, backup a empty backup, use impostah, to reset profile and reboot log in restore empty profile and all apps will restore
Ok, sounds like a plan. Can't try 'til tomorrow but thanks a lot & I'll post how it works out.

Cheers
Old 02/16/2013, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Got one Pre, 4 Pre2 all unlocked on Bell, 2 with plans, 3 with pay-as-you-go card, of which two are wifi only (I had bypassed to create accounts and no problems.

check your network settings under the network - manual setting (in phone preferences/accounts)

what you had isn't correct

internet APN
pda.bell.ca
Old 02/16/2013, 10:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
Got one Pre, 4 Pre2 all unlocked on Bell, 2 with plans, 3 with pay-as-you-go card, of which two are wifi only (I had bypassed to create accounts and no problems.

check your network settings under the network - manual setting (in phone preferences/accounts)

what you had isn't correct

internet APN
pda.bell.ca
Dunno how to manually get to the settings during Palm Profile sign in. Just now when I reactivated mine were wrong and it offered to let me change them, though.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/16/2013, 11:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Dunno how to manually get to the settings during Palm Profile sign in. Just now when I reactivated mine were wrong and it offered to let me change them, though.
Yeah, I would try pda.bell.ca, but I'm stuck at the "Data not Restored" screen - my only option is to "Try Agan", even after a restart & removing/replacing the sim card.

To John Steffes: is it possible to enter dev mode during the activation phase? I did a search & it seems like you have to enter the Konami code on an activated phone. Also, isn't Impostah a Preware app, which would also require an activated phone? I'm a bit thick, so if you could break it down into a few steps or point me to a few threads I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers again - Richard
Old 02/17/2013, 12:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

Preware is not Palm Profile dependent, therefore does not require proper activation. If you can log in to your Palm Profile (I assume you can because usually after a reboot the phone would reset), that means there is some problem getting your backups downloaded. If that's the case, it would probably be leftover problems from the backup issue a few months ago.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2013, 02:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondfast View Post
Yeah, I would try pda.bell.ca, but I'm stuck at the "Data not Restored" screen - my only option is to "Try Agan", even after a restart & removing/replacing the sim card.

To John Steffes: is it possible to enter dev mode during the activation phase? I did a search & it seems like you have to enter the Konami code on an activated phone. Also, isn't Impostah a Preware app, which would also require an activated phone? I'm a bit thick, so if you could break it down into a few steps or point me to a few threads I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers again - Richard
Ok... you kinda lost me here.... missing too many details.

IF you are talking about a unlocked Pre2 that's just been doctored and you're putting the SIM for the first time.

1- do you have a data plan? if not... there's the problem.

2- if you do, then odds that there's something wrong with your setup.

The best solution that I can offer would be for you to..

Get someone with a data plan to lead you his SIM and you should be able to get things going. Odds are that if you go to a Bell store, they can provide you with a "temp/test" SIM for you to get the phone going, and then switch to your SIM.

Then your Pre2 with only work off WIFI for the data until you get a data plan.

Otherwise as others stated... put the phone in Dev. mode (doesn't need the SIM) so to use the WIFI, load up impostah via preware, get your profile going and once ready, put the SIM in.

Worse case scenario, create a new temporary profile to see if it takes and just wipe the phone and close the profile after.

As I said... I have a bunch of Pre2s and I tested them via dev mode and WIFI first, but when I was ready to create the profiles (gifts to the kids for Xmas), I put in my own SIM (I didn't get theirs until afterwards) to get things goings, and once done, took my SIM out and for about a week (before I got their SIMs), they used them via WIFI only without any issues.

Once I got the SIMs, we put the cards in (and activated their new phone number/etc.) and 5 minutes later, their phone were on the network and able to make and receive calls with no data plan... and they do all their data stuff when at home or other shared WIFI locations.
Old 02/17/2013, 07:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
Ok... you kinda lost me here.... missing too many details.

IF you are talking about a unlocked Pre2 that's just been doctored and you're putting the SIM for the first time.

1- do you have a data plan? if not... there's the problem.

2- if you do, then odds that there's something wrong with your setup.

The best solution that I can offer would be for you to..

Get someone with a data plan to lead you his SIM and you should be able to get things going. Odds are that if you go to a Bell store, they can provide you with a "temp/test" SIM for you to get the phone going, and then switch to your SIM.

Then your Pre2 with only work off WIFI for the data until you get a data plan.

Otherwise as others stated... put the phone in Dev. mode (doesn't need the SIM) so to use the WIFI, load up impostah via preware, get your profile going and once ready, put the SIM in.

Worse case scenario, create a new temporary profile to see if it takes and just wipe the phone and close the profile after.

As I said... I have a bunch of Pre2s and I tested them via dev mode and WIFI first, but when I was ready to create the profiles (gifts to the kids for Xmas), I put in my own SIM (I didn't get theirs until afterwards) to get things goings, and once done, took my SIM out and for about a week (before I got their SIMs), they used them via WIFI only without any issues.

Once I got the SIMs, we put the cards in (and activated their new phone number/etc.) and 5 minutes later, their phone were on the network and able to make and receive calls with no data plan... and they do all their data stuff when at home or other shared WIFI locations.
Hi.
Yes, it's an unlocked ATT Pre 2 that's been sitting in my drawer as a backup. Now's its time to be put to use.

I do have Data on my Bell sim card and the phone does indicate 3G up top. However, like I said, my 3year plan expired a year ago, but I've been using the sim card with no issues until I tried to switch phones yesterday.

I would like to try the dev mode/Impostah route you describe, but can that be done without a successful phone activation first, or can I enter dev mode through the backdoor, so to speak? Like I say, I am stuck at the "Data Not Restored - Try Again" screen, with no way to proceed or go back. If I do a restart, remove/replace battery/sim card I just get the same result.

I will go to a Bell store today to see if my sim card is the problem.

Thanks for your help - Richard
Old 02/17/2013, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

Use the activation bypass tool. See link in my resource list. You don't have to modify it because the boot image should be included.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/17/2013, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Use the activation bypass tool. See link in my resource list. You don't have to modify it because the boot image should be included.
GMMan:

I'm trying to do as you describe but I'm having trouble:

I have put my device into recovery mode - ok, I have a big usb symbol on the screen.

I have downloaded the activation bypass tool - ok

BUT when I try to run the bypass tool from my computer's command prompt : C:\java -jar devicetool.jar

I keep getting the response

"java" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file

I have the appropriate version of Java on my computer, I have checked. I have also tried as many permutations of the command I can think of.

I know it's something I am doing wrong with dos . Can you help me out?

Richard
Old 02/17/2013, 01:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Don't put "C:'\" in front of Java. If you still can't start Java, put in the full path to it: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe.
Add " (x86" to Program Files if you're using 64-bit Windows but don't have 64-bit Java installed.
Old 02/17/2013, 02:48 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Don't put "C:'\" in front of Java. If you still can't start Java, put in the full path to it: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe.
Add " (x86" to Program Files if you're using 64-bit Windows but don't have 64-bit Java installed.
GMMan:

Well, I managed to get in to do this:

At the dos prompt I type

C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin

Which gets me into the \bin directory

Then at

C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin>

I type:

java.exe java -jar devicetool.jar.jar

But I get the error: Could not find or load main class java.

I'm still stuck.

If I could figure out how to go from the C:\> prompt to just the > prompt, I guess that would help.

Thanks a lot.

Richard
Old 02/17/2013, 03:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Do not use devicetool on a Pre2, it will only work for Pre/PrePlus/Pixi/PixiPlus with webOS 1.4.5.x.

For webOS 2.1.0 or 2.2.4, click on emergency call, delete 911 and type ##devmode# (cdma) or #*devmode# (gsm).
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/17/2013, 03:19 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Do not use devicetool on a Pre2, it will only work for Pre/PrePlus/Pixi/PixiPlus with webOS 1.4.5.x.

For webOS 2.1.0 or 2.2.4, click on emergency call, delete 911 and type ##devmode# (cdma) or #*devmode# (gsm).
It'll still work if the right ramdisk is inserted. But right, I forgot that most, if not all of the hash codes should work in the dialer. Though does it actually skip activation? I remember the bypass tool puts in separate flags for activation and Developer Mode.
Old 02/17/2013, 03:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

SUPER DUPER, MAN!

I'm in

Now for that Impostah thing...
Old 02/17/2013, 10:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Well, I'm up & running. A hearty THANKS to you guys - you really saved my hide on this one. I thought I was gonna have to switch to BB, but nope, me & my 6 touchstones, 5 batteries & freshly minted Pre 2 are gonna stay right here in webOS-land where the community is THE BEST.

Heck, I might even look for a Veer to muck around with...

Thanks guys.

Richard
Liked by purplepansy likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0