webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Captive Portal suddenly popping up everywhere
Captive Portal suddenly popping up everywhere

Old 02/04/2013, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

We have 4 Pre 2s across 2 different households that have suddenly started popping up the Captive Portal Detected message even on known networks with no Captive Portal. I've installed the patch to one of them to disable the message and will probably have to do the others as well. Is anyone else seeing this? I thought it was just us till my Dad just said his is doing it too. What would change to cause this?
autiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'd guess whatever you're using to access the internet is doing a quick redirect before your content is served. Or it's taking an extra long time to provide web pages.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 04:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is actually happening with no apps open, just sitting asleep on a charger. As far as I know there is nothing request a page. It's so very weird.
autiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 07:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

same thing happening to me on my home wife. Quite irritating.
itsjustheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 07:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

You should check if you're actually connecting to the right network, if any others are configured.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 02/04/2013, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's happening to me too. Just started in the last few weeks.
JJCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Add me to the list. At home on my private (protected) wireless network, at work on the company wireless hotspot, which I don't use, but my phone attaches to at times.

Thought the guys in the black helicopters finally tracked me down and hacked my home router.<grin>.
Old 02/04/2013, 10:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autiger View Post
We have 4 Pre 2s across 2 different households that have suddenly started popping up the Captive Portal Detected message even on known networks with no Captive Portal. I've installed the patch to one of them to disable the message and will probably have to do the others as well. Is anyone else seeing this? I thought it was just us till my Dad just said his is doing it too. What would change to cause this?
Had the same problem with my Pre 2. Installed the patch. No further problem so far.
Werner Schmid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 11:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yep, I'm having the same problem on my Pre2. I've installed the patch to get rid of the notification.. Haven't turned on my old Pre+ to see if it has the problem. Only started resently, and if you tap the notification it goes to a HP page, but I'm not sure if the page is on the device or external (it isn't formatted for the Pre2 screen.) In my case the notification only pops up in the middle of the night while the phone charging. It may occur when the router refreshes the IP addresses which happens every 24 hours., but I've had this router for over a year and the problem didn't start until last week.
Pilot 1000 w/5000 upgrade > Palm Pilot Pro w/2meg hand soldered ram > M130 > TX > VZPre+ oc1ghz webOS 2.1 +classic +flash +2.2.4 Bluetooth > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon) > TouchPad 32gb LunaCE w/cyanogen dual boot > Motorola Bionic ( What the hell was I thinking?)the Bionic sucked > VZPre 2 oc 1.2ghz webOS 2.2.4 (Super Verizon)

Last edited by namgod; 02/04/2013 at 11:13 PM.
namgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 01:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

also had my first pop up during the superbowl using my cousins secure network
Old 02/05/2013, 11:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Same thing happening to me on my Verizon Palm Pre 2 beginning in the last couple of weeks. Something changed in webOS land...
mcdunnough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 12:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Been happening to me at work for the last week or so. Didn't think anything of it because the wifi work connection is crazy, but if other people are having the same problem . .
crazybirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Add me to the list, same this with my pre 2.

What's going on? does anybody know?
Old 02/05/2013, 01:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

My best guess is something happened to the site they use to check if you're connected to the Internet. It could also have something to do with certificates, but it seems sort of unlikely.
Old 02/05/2013, 01:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

It happens on my home wifi as well, a couple times yesterday. Both on a Pre minus and a Pre 2

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 01:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

It is happening on my Pre2 as well.
I get the detection notice at home, at work, and other places that there is not a captive portal.

Switched to my Pixi+ to test it and this DOES NOT come up like on my Pre2.
Running 1.4.5.1 on the Pixi and 2.1 on the Pre2.
jccjmml7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 01:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Well, remember that the captive portal thingy came with webOS 2 if I'm not mistaken.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 01:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

^That makes sense.

Still an odd thing to be happening with the Pre2 after never seeing it for the last 2 years.

Forgot to mention that I use AT&T naked DSL.
jccjmml7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 01:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Me too. Has been going on for over a week. What patch are people using?

Palm IIIe, IIIx, IIIxe, IIIc, ClieT615, ClieTJ25, ClieTJ37(2), Treo600, Treo650, Centro(AT&T & Verizon),
Pre Plus(6 replacements), TouchPads(1-16gb,2-32gb), Pre2 (and a spare)
TimBoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2013, 03:07 PM   #20 (permalink)

The same happened in my HP Veer, installed the mentioned patch and now this problem is solved!

@TimBoch, Search for "Captive" in Preware and the required patch will appear.
guilledil is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: mosca01

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0