webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Dialpad disappears during call
Dialpad disappears during call

Old 01/26/2013, 02:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

I just bought a used Pre 2 running WebOS 2.1.0 and am having trouble using the dialapad during a call. For example, when I check voicemail, the dialpad disappears when I try to enter the pin code. Also, dialpad disappears if I have to press numbers on an automated menu system.

Anybody have any ideas why this is happening? Proximity sensor issue? There is no screen protector on the screen.

Thanks.

Last edited by hheveran; 01/26/2013 at 02:45 PM. Reason: webos version added
hheveran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 02:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

In what way is it 'disappearing' from the screen? Is it going to a black screen? Going to your contacts screen (or some other)? Going to your main screen (looking like the app closed)? We need a bit more info on this....

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
In what way is it 'disappearing' from the screen? Is it going to a black screen? Going to your contacts screen (or some other)? Going to your main screen (looking like the app closed)? We need a bit more info on this....
It goes to black screen, like when you put the phone up to your face to talk. I just discovered sometimes it works, most times not, seems inconsistent.

Last edited by hheveran; 01/26/2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01/26/2013, 03:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the clarification Sounds like a proximity sensor issue. Some can be more touchy than others.. are there any scratches or marks in front of the sensor on the top of the screen? When you got the device, was it new or used? You may want to also check and doctor to the newest version (2.2.4wr).

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/26/2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01/26/2013, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Sounds like a proximity sensor issue. Some can be more touchy than others.. are there any scratches or marks in front of the sensor on the top of the screen? When you got the device, was it new or used? You may want to also check and doctor to the newest version (2.2.4wr).
It was used, but seems ok otherwise. No scratches on sensor. It's weird, sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

What's the advantage to doctoring to 2.2.4 over 2.1? Thanks a lot!
Old 01/26/2013, 07:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hheveran View Post
It goes to black screen, like when you put the phone up to your face to talk. I just discovered sometimes it works, most times not, seems inconsistent.
I am having the same problem with my pre2 plus when I am done with a call the phone won't hang up without several attempts. I did try to to doctor using the latest version, but received s message saying this version was not for my device.
pixigirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixigirl3 View Post
I am having the same problem with my pre2 plus when I am done with a call the phone won't hang up without several attempts. I did try to to doctor using the latest version, but received s message saying this version was not for my device.
You have to make sure you are installing the correct version for your device. Not knowing where either of you are, I'd assume the correct version would be the 'unlocked' 2.2.4WR doctor.

The newest version fixes several issues that were in 2.2.1.

Old 01/26/2013, 08:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
You have to make sure you are installing the correct version for your device. Not knowing where either of you are, I'd assume the correct version would be the 'unlocked' 2.2.4WR doctor.

The newest version fixes several issues that were in 2.2.1.
I'm in the U.S. and have the phone on Verizon wireless. The doctor versions listed under Verizon only go up to 2.1 which I already have loaded. Is it ok to use the unlocked 2.2.4wr on a verizon phone?

BTW, I'm also trying to fix my device menu. While installing preware and a few apps/patches, airplane mode was replaced with "flashlight-error." I know I can use power button to turn airplane mode on/off, but it takes longer than on the menu. I'm hoping doctoring will fix that too. I didn't even install a flashlight patch/app.
Old 01/26/2013, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Now, if only I could fix that airplane mode missing on my device menu
Old 01/26/2013, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you are running Verizon I believe you have to use a MetaDoctor version... please read this threads:

Verizon 2.2.4 update

2.2.4 for the VZW Pre 2?

old user coming home

From what I understand, you would need to either run the "super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4" metadoctor version in order for certain functiosn to work.

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/26/2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01/26/2013, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks. Hmm, I think I'll stick with the 2.1 doctor version & see what happens.
Old 01/26/2013, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

You can run the Metadoctor on your current version to bring it up to 2.2.4. The threads above discuss that. It isn't that difficult, but it does take a bit of patience and reading.

Old 01/26/2013, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

I doctored with Verizon Pre 2 ver. 2.1 for now & got my airplane mode back.

I'll consider metadoctoring to 2.2.4 when I have more time. I wonder what apps or patches messed up my device menu before. Guess I'll have to install one by one and check menu each time. Might have been gps toggle.

Dial pad issue seems to be partly overlysensitive sensor and partly user related. I noticed it happens when I wave my hand over the top right corner of screen only - ahah sensor location - and if I watch where I put my hand when I dial, it's better.

Thanks a lot for your help. HelloNNNewman- Looooove the username
Thanked By: HelloNNNewman
Old 01/26/2013, 11:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
If you are running Verizon I believe you have to use a MetaDoctor version... please read this threads:

Verizon 2.2.4 update

2.2.4 for the VZW Pre 2?

old user coming home

From what I understand, you would need to either run the "super-verizon-pre2-2.2.4" metadoctor version in order for certain functiosn to work.
I just saw the 2.2.4 link on the webos doctor list posted earlier - doesn't that mean it is released now? Also there was a news article on the 12th that indicated vzw had released the 2.2.4 version.

- Sent using Tapatalk
UncleVanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 11:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleVanya View Post
I just saw the 2.2.4 link on the webos doctor list posted earlier - doesn't that mean it is released now? Also there was a news article on the 12th that indicated vzw had released the 2.2.4 version.
The list of doctor versions (available here) only shows the released versions for Verizon going up to 2.1.0.

Old 01/26/2013, 11:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

I made a mistake using a mobile device and went to the wrong pre2 (different carrier).

Last edited by UncleVanya; 01/27/2013 at 12:08 AM.
Old 01/27/2013, 12:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

Curious why a year ago this news item said vzw pre2 2.2.4 was released?

http://blog.palm.com/palm/2012/01/an...n-updates.html

- Sent using Tapatalk

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 01/27/2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: fixed link
Old 01/27/2013, 12:13 AM   #18 (permalink)

That link is talking about the 'unlocked' phones. I believe that is referring to the 2.2.4WR unlocked doctor, but I'm not sure.

Old 01/27/2013, 12:24 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
That link is talking about the 'unlocked' phones. I believe that is referring to the 2.2.4WR unlocked doctor, but I'm not sure.
Ah missing ; before the word Verizon - got it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Old 10/25/2013, 05:05 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hheveran View Post
I doctored with Verizon Pre 2 ver. 2.1 for now & got my airplane mode back.

I'll consider metadoctoring to 2.2.4 when I have more time. I wonder what apps or patches messed up my device menu before. Guess I'll have to install one by one and check menu each time. Might have been gps toggle.

Dial pad issue seems to be partly overlysensitive sensor and partly user related. I noticed it happens when I wave my hand over the top right corner of screen only - ahah sensor location - and if I watch where I put my hand when I dial, it's better.

Thanks a lot for your help. HelloNNNewman- Looooove the username
Having experienced the same Houdini dial pad rigamarole as you described, I phrased it as best I could and sent it to Google. Which is how I wound up here. Almost a year since your original post.

An unforeseen, pleasant discovery along this enlightening path is that one may use the smaller slide-out black keyboard while in phone mode. Not only that, but apparently, since Palms are so intelligent, all a user needs to do is punch the numbers, pound sign or asterisk, without having to use any other key or function modifier.
chaloots is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0