webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > First time webOS
First time webOS
Like Tree15Likes
  • 10 Post By itsjustheath
  • 2 Post By Derek Kessler
  • 2 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By itsjustheath

Old 01/25/2013, 04:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

So for the past year I have been on a mission to find a phone that really fits me. I've used almost every OS, and currently left Android for a Palm Pre 2.

Ive been secretly stalking these forums for the past two months trying to decide if I should go out on a limb and grab a webOS phone, even though they aren't really 'supported' anymore. So when I saw one for 59.00 on Amazon, I jumped at it. And let me say, wow! For a device that's years old, I am more than impressed! Hooked it up to page plus and I've been playing on it all day. It has yet to even stutter during use, and it can keep up with my no matter how fast I go. Speed wise, the Android I just picked up seven months ago doesnt even compare! And for there being a 'lack of apps' I found something to replace everything on my Droid, except Soundcloud.

Just wanted to say hello, and I'm ready to be a part of this community. Seems great!
itsjustheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by johncc, xandros9, HelloNNNewman and 7 others like this.
Old 01/25/2013, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

Welcome to webOS and to webOS Nation, glad you're posting now and thrilled you're enjoying the Pre 2!
Liked by HelloNNNewman and Remy X like this.
Old 01/26/2013, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Careful now... Pre 2 is the "gateway drug" that starts a serious webOS addiction.

I should know, I started out that way.

Welcome aboard.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by darkoman4 and hheveran like this.
Old 01/26/2013, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I recommend the following:

Faster animations patch

Enable advanced gestures in screen and lock preferences to switch apps full screen to full screen

Disable light bar

Remove video pause on minimize (only if you running 2.1)

Tweaks

Advanced patches with open in new card for email and texts enabled in tweaks. The only advanced patch I dont use is app menu

Universe browser with hide icons enabled. You can bring them back by tapping the gesture area then tapping the screen. After that just a simple tap on screen toggles icons, very cool

Tip: When typing up arrow +backspace deletes whole word

Welcome and enjoy
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2013, 10:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Derek. RumoredNow - funny you say that because I've already started wondering about the touchpad. It looks like such a good match for the phone. Thanks very much for the tips iaingman, I've been reading up on all the patches and tweaks and i can't wait to put them to work.
Old 01/26/2013, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Also you can overclock to make it run faster with uberkernel and chose yuur clock speed with govnah. Both available in preware
Old 01/27/2013, 12:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustheath View Post
Thanks Derek. RumoredNow - funny you say that because I've already started wondering about the touchpad. It looks like such a good match for the phone. Thanks very much for the tips iaingman, I've been reading up on all the patches and tweaks and i can't wait to put them to work.
If your Pre 2 is @ 2.2.4 you wouldn't have TouchToShare, but a bluetooth sync between Pre 2 and TouchPad allows the TP to send and receive SMS text and Voice Calls... A winning idea.
Old 01/27/2013, 12:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Wow I remember the first time using a webOS phone way back in Jan 2010. Was just floored by the OS. Never had that feeling since, going thru various iterations and skins of android, ios and windows phone.

Skunkworks or not, the creators of webOS just got the user interface for a mobile device right. Too bad it hasn't been emulated since.

It was and still is second to none.

Sigh.

Miss the good times.
MDsmartphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
If your Pre 2 is @ 2.2.4 you wouldn't have TouchToShare, but a bluetooth sync between Pre 2 and TouchPad allows the TP to send and receive SMS text and Voice Calls... A winning idea.
absolutely is! I've read that the touchpad and Pre3 are meant for another, lol. Like someone said...i think this could be the beginning of an obsession.
Old 01/27/2013, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
Wow I remember the first time using a webOS phone way back in Jan 2010. Was just floored by the OS. Skunkworks or not, the creators of webOS just got the user interface for a mobile device right. Too bad it hasn't been emulated since. It was and still is second to none. Sigh. Miss the good times.
completely agree. I can finish things on the pre2 in 30 seconds or less that took me minutes on my android. The intuitive design of the Os is just excellent, love Just Type. I can't express how i wish this Os went further!
Liked by MDsmartphone likes this.
Old 01/27/2013, 01:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
Also you can overclock to make it run faster with uberkernel and chose yuur clock speed with govnah. Both available in preware
Much thanks (:
Old 01/27/2013, 01:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Touch To Share (TTS) capability is the difference between Pre 3 and Pre 2 for TP combined use.

HP's Touch to Share eyes-on, starring the TouchPad and HP Pre 3 (video)

Rumor is you can get TTS with a Veer as well if Meta-Doctored to 2.2.4 or if you use the meta-att-franken-tts-veer-2.1.2 script. I tried the franken-tts build once but failed. I may try that again soon, or the 2.2.4 meta-doctor when I get more play time.

LOL.. see? So addicting and so many projects that need tackling.

Best of Luck.
Old 01/27/2013, 05:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Looks excellent!

Any way to open text conversations in their own card?
Old 01/27/2013, 05:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustheath View Post
Looks excellent!

Any way to open text conversations in their own card?
Yes. Its an advanced patch called messaging preferences or something like that. Then you enable that function in tweaks. Same for email, I guarantee you've never seen the likes of it.

First you need to install preware. Let us you know if you need help with that

Last edited by laingman; 01/27/2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01/27/2013, 06:01 PM   #15 (permalink)

seems like i just need to get down to business and see everything that preware has to offer. Haha. Thank you very much!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0