webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Buying a Pre 2, but found something strange.
Buying a Pre 2, but found something strange.
Like Tree1Likes

Old 01/19/2013, 07:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

So I was planning on switching back to WebOS after a long break from it. I found someone selling a Pre 2 on Craigslist for a good price. However, upon reviewing the images of the phone, I realized the phone contained a HP back plate. The same exact back plate that's on the Pre 3. Any ideas why that would be?
Zombienaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2013, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Maybe it is a Pre3? Never seen a Pre2 with HP on the back, it's the same back cover as the Pre/Pre+, probably even the exact same part #. Can you tell from the pics of the front if there's a camera to the right of the speaker opening? Where is the speaker on the back?
Old 01/19/2013, 08:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, there does appear to be a front facing camera. I asked the seller about the back plate and he responded that he has no idea about it. Also that he acquired it as a business phone from his job. I asked him to send me pictures of the sides and bottom. There is a silver volume rocker along with silver power and mute switch keys. I'm serious thinking his person doesn't realize he has a Pre 3. Hell, I'm not complaining considering he's selling it to me for a$70.
Old 01/20/2013, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombienaut View Post
Yes, there does appear to be a front facing camera. I asked the seller about the back plate and he responded that he has no idea about it. Also that he acquired it as a business phone from his job. I asked him to send me pictures of the sides and bottom. There is a silver volume rocker along with silver power and mute switch keys. I'm serious thinking his person doesn't realize he has a Pre 3. Hell, I'm not complaining considering he's selling it to me for a$70.
I'd buy it. Sounds like you can't loose.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 12:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombienaut View Post
If nothing else, buy it and list it here with a "finders" fee.
broncot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 04:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Turns out it was a Pre 3 after all. But the software version says: HP WebOS vNova-Catfish.
Old 01/20/2013, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Congrats, nice score! Where did the seller work that he had a Pre 3 and didn't know what it was??
Old 01/20/2013, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

I didn't asked where he worked, seemed like none of my business. I wanted to tell him that it was a Pre 3 and not a Pre 2, but I figured since he was willing to sell it for $70, I shouldn't bother.
Old 01/20/2013, 06:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

This sounds kind of fishy. No random business would deploy Pre3s to their employees. By the time they were available, HP had already cancelled support for them.

As we've been able to see, the people who own Pre3s know exactly what they have, because they've specifically sought them out.

Congrats on scoring a Pre3, but I would strongly suspect it's stolen. The guy's story just doesn't add up.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
jlamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 06:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlamb0 View Post
This sounds kind of fishy. No random business would deploy Pre3s to their employees. By the time they were available, HP had already cancelled support for them.

As we've been able to see, the people who own Pre3s know exactly what they have, because they've specifically sought them out.

Congrats on scoring a Pre3, but I would strongly suspect it's stolen. The guy's story just doesn't add up.

Sounds like a prototype that was intended to be destroyed. Perhaps the guy worked at HP (as as someone less knowledgeble, such as a forklift operator) and was offered the phone by someone closer to R&D... entirely possible, since its ROM wasn't a production version, and the guy didn't know or care what the phone was...
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 06:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah, you might be right, but I think that if he worked for HP, even if a forklift driver, he still would have known what he had.

Maybe I just have a dim view of humanity.

I agree that it seems like a prototype, in any case.

jlamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 07:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

I think if HP cared, they could look up the IMEI off of their profile server and check who has a prototype. But I doubt they do, since we haven't heard of any news or Rod or TouchPad Go owners getting called out yet.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 07:18 PM   #13 (permalink)

I forgot to mention that on the side of the phone, right above the usb port, is lettering that reads: MEV2N-0397. And above the HP logo is more lettering that reads: 5161-5916.
Old 01/20/2013, 07:19 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm going to guess the one beside the USB port is a part number and the other is an asset code.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2013, 07:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

What does the sticker look like underneath the battery? Does it look like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG_2011-07-01-095929.jpg (509.8 KB, 64 views) Email Attachment
Old 01/20/2013, 08:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yes, looks exactly like that.
Old 01/20/2013, 08:35 PM   #17 (permalink)

Congrats, you definitely have a prototype. That picture was taken with my Pre 2 when I worked at Verizon, I tested the Pre 3, pre-launch.
Old 01/20/2013, 09:17 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncot View Post
Congrats, you definitely have a prototype. That picture was taken with my Pre 2 when I worked at Verizon, I tested the Pre 3, pre-launch.
Hey, maybe the guy who sold that phone on Craigslist also worked at a carrier! There's a dozen jobs that don't require good knowledge of phones, and they aren't selling prototypes, so the phone turned into a freebie that no one else wanted, so he got to keep it.

If Zombie's sticker also says Vodafone, it's definitely Verizon... because that's kind of their parent company/shareholder. Because Verizon used to be called Bell Atlantic after the AT&T/Bell breakup, and then took on a new name while still exclusively in the landline business (that they are now dumping). Verizon Wireless was/is a joint venture of Verizon and Vodafone...

Last edited by Remy X; 01/20/2013 at 09:23 PM.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2013, 08:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

oh man did you score!
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/22/2013, 02:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Well unfortunately I had to switch back to my Android. Proximity sensor wasn't working, every time I received or made a call the screen would stay black and wouldn't come back on unless I pulled the battery. Wifi also wasn't working

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0