webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Pre2: digitizer not working after screen change
Pre2: digitizer not working after screen change

Old 01/19/2013, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi all,

First of all, I'm sorry because my english is very bad.

I'm a very proud and happy user of a Pre2. It was given to me one year ago and it worked fine, but it had a aestethic problem in the screen. This is the "A" device

A few days ago, another Pre2 falled in my hands (the "B" device). It was broken (the slide mechanism), but the rest os the device looked good (of course, the screen too).

Note: both Pre2 are the free european model

That was what I was waiting for a long time: a spare screen to replace!!!!

Well, after reading a lot, seeing videos and so, I disassembled both phones and put the "B" screen in the "A" device. I think I did everything OK, but, after turning it on, the Pre2 started but the digitizer didn't work. I tried to touch the screen to unlock it but... nothing happened.

Of course, I could unlock the phone with the keyboard, bur after that, the digitizer remained K.O.

I disassmbled and reassemblen the phone half a dozen times... and always the same. Digitizer didn't like my fingers.

At this piont, I tried to fix the slide problem of the "B" device and I did it. I put the "A" screen in the repaired "b" device, turned it on and... the same result!!!! The digitizer didn't work.

My final attempt: I put the "A" screen in the "A" device, and the "B" screen in the "B" device and I hoped that "A" should work like always but... the same again!!! none of the both digitizers worked!!!!

Well, I'm sure I've been making the same mistake all the time, but.... what?

I'm sure (?) I plugged everything in its connector, but I had to miss something.

Please, help me!!!!!

Here is a picture of a logic board (not mine, I took the picture from the internet). I've marked in blue all the connectors I plugged:

1: micro
2: LCD display
3: speaker and proximity sensor
4: digitizer (I guess)
5 and 6: to the "other part" of the phone

Please, please.... what am I doing wrong?

Lots of thanks in advance,

Josť.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg logic board.jpg (456.4 KB, 24 views) Email Attachment
tromalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/24/2013, 09:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

you may have torn the ribbon that goes into what you've labeled "blue circle 4".

i had a cracked Pre2 screen where the touch still worked perfectly. when removing it, i tore the ribbon that goes into #4. after reassembly, no more touch function, but it still displayed well. that ribbon may not be seated all the way, or it may have torn.

remember, those white connections have grey lock tabs. unlock the grey tab by flipping it up, then slide in the ribbon and lock it back down. if you have not unlocked them, they may be only partially inserted.

check my picture here of my torn ribbon piece positioned over its connector.

good luck
TJs11thPre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02/01/2013, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your help...

...but when I was disassembling both Pre 2 I realized that I had to open the gry lock tabs in #1, #3 and #4, so the ribon should be OK, Igues....

How can I check the digitizer? Is there any way to do it?

I'll try to put some real pictures of my two Pre2 to see if you can give me a clue. I'm really lost and sad without my Pre2.

Thank you

Josť.
Old 03/10/2013, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
you may have torn the ribbon that goes into what you've labeled "blue circle 4".

i had a cracked Pre2 screen where the touch still worked perfectly. when removing it, i tore the ribbon that goes into #4. after reassembly, no more touch function, but it still displayed well. that ribbon may not be seated all the way, or it may have torn.

remember, those white connections have grey lock tabs. unlock the grey tab by flipping it up, then slide in the ribbon and lock it back down. if you have not unlocked them, they may be only partially inserted.

check my picture here of my torn ribbon piece positioned over its connector.
Click to view quoted image

good luck
THANHKS!!!!!!!!!!

Well...

After lots of tries I did a deep chech of the ribbon and, with magnifier glass, I realized that the last track was broken.

Bad news... but at last I found a logical answer.

Fortunately, I could fix it with my tin solder and patience.

Now my pre2 is working again.

Best regards,

josť

Last edited by sledge007; 03/10/2013 at 11:32 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0