webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > First Pre 2
First Pre 2

Old 01/09/2013, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

I got my first Pre 2 Verizon version off of Amazon for $65. This is my first smartphone, and thus far I am impressed. I got Preware with some homebrew patches and apps downloaded, and overclocked this puppy! I went with Verizon's 2GB data package until the end of the month when my billing cycle is over, then I am definitely going with Page Plus talk-n-text 1200 $30 plan. Just paid my last Verizon bill today.

As you all know Pre 2 stock battery life is a joke, so I got the Mugen Power 2800 mah extended battery specifically for the Pre 2 off of ebay for $75. Dr. Battery said it is only 2483 mah so I was a little disappointed but I got 4 days (moderate usage) out of my first charging cycle so I won't complain too much. In the picture you can see how thick the new battery is, and in the second photo you can see how thick the new backing is in comparison to the Palm one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg presideshot.jpg (560.5 KB, 38 views) Email Attachment
File Type: jpg cases.jpg (437.0 KB, 34 views) Email Attachment
mosca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2013, 10:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Welcome

Glad to hear that you make use of all the resources available... you know, being a "power user" and everything
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2013, 08:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

250 megabytes a month is cutting it close...
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's nice to see you got yourself a decent phone like Pre2(despite of it's age and old hardware), I definitely agree with the stock battery it isn't suitable for the phone because it barely holds a charge. However, I won't get such a big battery like the Mugen Battery 2,800mah pack simply cause of its large size...I'm sure it makes the Pre 2 little heavier than normal with that battery.....
Old 01/16/2013, 05:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

The extra weight is not too bad. The extra thickness actually makes it easier to use the keyboard. I'm pretty happy with it, the extra days out of the battery are nice.
mosca01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

i sure would like to get a couple days out of my pre2! Having it for a while now the battery life is the only thing i can find to complain about. Enjoy!
itsjustheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustheath View Post
i sure would like to get a couple days out of my pre2! Having it for a while now the battery life is the only thing i can find to complain about. Enjoy!
I think that not only the battery life anyone can really complained about the Pre 2's, the camera app performance, browser, GPS, the apps department and much more. Other than that, the Pre 2 is a decent feature phone for most of its functionality yet no-one can consider it a smartphone anymore.

Last edited by PalmPixi_User23; 01/27/2013 at 08:49 PM.
PalmPixi_User23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I think that not only the battery life anyone can really compalined about the Pre 2, the camera app performance, browser, GPS, the apps department and much more. Other than that, the Pre 2 is a decent phone for most of its functionality yet no-one can consider it a smartphone anymore.
Pre2 not a smartphone anymore? The reason I still use a pre2 is I consider it to be the smartest smartphone.
laingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/27/2013, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

gps seems to be a verizon issue
Old 01/28/2013, 12:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustheath View Post
I'm not a power user at all... Hardly dial the phone, a few SMS, a little browsing, a little tinkering, a little game playing. I too found the battery on Pre 2 goes fast.

UberKernel + Govnah + custom profile solves a lot of that. I pushed my settings out here on the forum a few times, but not everyone benefits from them as each user/phone are slightly different.

Best advice + Free is get UberKernel, add Govnah and tap on the Blue ? icon. Tap each and every catagory to read what changes will do so you can decide how to run your CPU most efficiently to suit your style.

Also try shutting down GPS when not needed. You can get a patch to add the on/off toggle to the device menu... Also add the Brightness slider there and dial it down when not needed (I run at 15% bright unless in direct sunlight)

Best advice + Spend $ is buy the Mugen Power 1400 mAH battery. It makes a huge difference.

[HLI-PRESL] Buy Mugen Power 1400mAh Extended Battery For Palm Pre, Palm Pre 2 and Palm Pixi

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
gps seems to be a verizon issue
+1

I use GPS + Google Services for location and never have any issues getting a fix.
Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2013, 02:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmPixi_User23 View Post
I think that not only the battery life anyone can really complained about the Pre 2's, the camera app performance, browser, GPS, the apps department and much more. Other than that, the Pre 2 is a decent feature phone for most of its functionality yet no-one can consider it a smartphone anymore.
coming from an android that had a 5 megapixel camera, i don't find the camera on the pre2 that bad. Sure, it lacks autofocus, but if i was looking for something to take amazing pictures, ill just use my nikon. On wifi the browser is just up to par with the one on my other phone. I suppose everyone needs are different, but i don't need a ton of apps to enjoy a phone. Facebook, twitter, pandora all work and that's all i really need.im was looking for a more fluid experience vs a powerhouse phone.
Old 01/28/2013, 02:07 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I'm not a power user at all... Hardly dial the phone, a few SMS, a little browsing, a little tinkering, a little game playing. I too found the battery on Pre 2 goes fast.
thanks for the tips, the first thing i did was slim down on unnecessary things (turned screen brightness down, turn off data when im not using it, etc) ill save your post and look threw your suggestions later, im still in the process of reading threw all the available patches and tweaks before i decide.
Old 01/28/2013, 06:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Touchstones are dirt cheap. Stock up and put them everywhere including you car
Old 01/29/2013, 03:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

One thing that kills my phone, that I've noticed of late, is that I use a Bluetooth earpiece and that's fine, but once at the office I turn it off and switch my my Touchpad and a pair of stereo headset (BT).

I noticed that the phone, even if not paired with it, would keep trying to pair with it, possibly because the headset is capable of being linked (paired) to multiple devices and might be sending some sort of nudge.

So I now turn the BT off the phone too.

So with my email account set to check once an hour, with WIFI (network at work and at home) on, after about 7 hours today, my battery is at 87%...

Just for an idea of low power usage.

Other days... if I play on it... Galcon for example via the online play, I'll kill my battery down to 40% within an hour or so.

So it's very much linked to usage, like any other phone I've had.

The giant battery would be nice, but not at the expense of not being able to use my Touchstone...

And since I can plug my phone at the office, always set it down on one of my touchstones at home, and have one in the car, plus have a few spare batteries, overall, it's not an issue...

The fact that the Pre2 has a replaceable battery, just adds to it's greatness.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0