webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Pre2 touchscreen DEAD
Pre2 touchscreen DEAD

Old 01/03/2013, 08:40 AM   #1 (permalink)

A friend is having me try to fix a Verizon Pe2 that the touchscreen has apparently died. I have tried rebooting, battery pull, webOS doctoring etc etc...still dead. So I was thinking about switching it out with a GSM Pre2 I have. I am not sure the easiest way to do that though. I was thinking that should could just switch the COMM board like doing a Sprint Pre2, and then reflash the Pre2 with the stock Verizion webOS doctor. Is this possible or not that simple?

Just needing to find the fastest and easiest way to help him out and get him a phone working again.
Thanks!

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
DJeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/04/2013, 09:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJeremyC View Post
A friend is having me try to fix a Verizon Pe2 that the touchscreen has apparently died. I have tried rebooting, battery pull, webOS doctoring etc etc...still dead. So I was thinking about switching it out with a GSM Pre2 I have. I am not sure the easiest way to do that though. I was thinking that should could just switch the COMM board like doing a Sprint Pre2, and then reflash the Pre2 with the stock Verizion webOS doctor. Is this possible or not that simple?

Just needing to find the fastest and easiest way to help him out and get him a phone working again.
Thanks!
you have two options:
1. give him the screen from your phone, and stick it on his phone. that involves complete disassembly to swap the digitizer from the good phone to his phone. reassemble and his phone works (if the issue is isolated to the digitizer itself) with no doctoring. he maintains all of his apps and USB files.

or

2. give him your entire phone. take his active comm board out, put it in your phone. run the VZN doctor 2.1.0 and he can sign into his existing profile with it. if you go this route, connect his phone via USB and copy his files to save them before you doctor and lose them.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yah I tried the second option but when I doctored it, it came back and said wrong device or something like that. I think he might have reactivated his old palm pixi on the network prior to me doing that. So I guess I am now screwed on that option as that comm board is no longer active, and I cant activate it without having access to the touchscreen. So guess that only leaves option one...DOH! Oh well...done it once already guess I can try again. Last time I ripped the motherboard cable by accident so will have to try to not do that this time.

I have been trying to see if I could find a Verizon Pre3 for him but no luck without paying $100, which I am not going to do for a coworker...lol. And haven't seen any laying around that people are getting rid of either.

Thanks for the reply and hopefully I can get this going today.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
Old 01/06/2013, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

One of the Verizon FrankenPre2 or just Pre2 meta-doctor scripts might work. I know the Sprint FrankenPre2 script will work on a GSM device with a Sprint CDMA board in it, perhaps those will work with a VZW board in a GSM Pre2. Some of the less common board swaps like this are the ones with the least amount of info out there.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2013, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well got the screen swap complete, as I just saw your post (but will keep that in mind for sure as I do have a Sprint meta-doctor available). I put everything back together and the touchscreen now works...WOOT!!! Just have to have him log in tomorrow to see if everything works with the network and that I didn't screw any connections up. This was definitely a fun project. Thanks Palm for giving us a phone that can be hacked with unlike some other phone manufacturers.

Tags
pre2 unresponsive, verizon pre2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0