webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Technical help needed: Pre2 turns on by itself
Technical help needed: Pre2 turns on by itself

Old 12/28/2012, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Just got the kids some Pre2s for Christmas, and they love them..

Problem is, one of them after 3 days: if it's turned off, if turning itself on every 30 seconds or so for a moment, then back off.

I've already did a reboot, full reset, and doctored it... and after the doctoring, it still does it...

so hardware problem???

I can't find any info about anyone having this happen to them, so I'd love a solution as since I bought them a little while ago, the seller (off ebay) give a 30 days, but since I wanted to make sure they arrived on time, I purchased them a little more than 30 days ago... hoping that he'll be understanding or that someone might have a solution.
Old 12/28/2012, 09:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Might be a stuck power button. Tried pulling the battery and let it sit for a while, then putting it back in?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2012, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

had a similar problem after a doctor visit on my pre2. It was an app causing it. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly what is was. May have been app catalog checking for updates or something. I did find what it was and stopped it. Sorry for not remembering. But was not a hardware problem.

y
dballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 04:37 AM   #4 (permalink)

Well, tried the pull the battery... no change...

For the app thing... I doctored it... aka complete blank, so I don't see how an app could do it now as there are absolutely no apps on it..

It's still doing it as it's asking for a SIM to start to initiating phase.
Old 12/29/2012, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

You might be able to do diagnostics or something, even though you may be on the First Use app. Though it doesn't test for the power button...

Maybe you can write a loop that constantly polls the keys service to see if the power button is down? If it returns true intermittently you know you have a defective power button.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/29/2012, 12:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
Just got the kids some Pre2s for Christmas, and they love them..

Problem is, one of them after 3 days: if it's turned off, if turning itself on every 30 seconds or so for a moment, then back off.

I've already did a reboot, full reset, and doctored it... and after the doctoring, it still does it...

so hardware problem???

I can't find any info about anyone having this happen to them, so I'd love a solution as since I bought them a little while ago, the seller (off ebay) give a 30 days, but since I wanted to make sure they arrived on time, I purchased them a little more than 30 days ago... hoping that he'll be understanding or that someone might have a solution.
I had this issue with my Pre3 as well when I installed a high capacity battery. When you remove and install the back cover there are some contacts between the cover and the unit that need to be seated correctly or the battery/touch stone coil will lose connection. Try insuring the you press and snap the case securely near the contact area.
mjshawver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2012, 08:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjshawver View Post
I had this issue with my Pre3 as well when I installed a high capacity battery. When you remove and install the back cover there are some contacts between the cover and the unit that need to be seated correctly or the battery/touch stone coil will lose connection. Try insuring the you press and snap the case securely near the contact area.
I so wished for this to work, but it's happening with the cover off.
Old 12/29/2012, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
You might be able to do diagnostics or something, even though you may be on the First Use app. Though it doesn't test for the power button...

Maybe you can write a loop that constantly polls the keys service to see if the power button is down? If it returns true intermittently you know you have a defective power button.
If only I'd still be a programmer, but alas, I've never done anything for WebOs or any actual programming in over 30 years.

I've ran all the tests available, and everything comes out fine. I've tried to see if there would be any reason for hte power button to be causing a contact, but the thing is... since the problem is: push power button to turn the screen off, and after 30 seconds to a minute, the screen turns on again for a few seconds then back off... then back on after another 30 seconds, it's just extremely weird.

Is there a way to possibly do more than a doctoring to really wipe the phone completely, in case there is still something that didn't get erased and replaced, which might be causing this?
Old 12/30/2012, 12:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hmm, come to think of it, could it be some other button activating the phone? Maybe the center button or something (I don't have a webOS phone, so I can only guess).
Old 12/30/2012, 01:46 AM   #10 (permalink)

Open the slider and leave it open. See it it still turns on and off. If not, it could be a contact on the slider mechanism that is not connecting solidly and causing this issue.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 08:26 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Hmm, come to think of it, could it be some other button activating the phone? Maybe the center button or something (I don't have a webOS phone, so I can only guess).
Well, I've tried "playing with" all the buttons (volume up and down and the mute slider) to see if I'd get anything, and still the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Open the slider and leave it open. See it it still turns on and off. If not, it could be a contact on the slider mechanism that is not connecting solidly and causing this issue.
One of the first things that I've tried, and went and tried it a few times... nothing.

Thanks guys, but with what's happening, I'm still very very confused... the fact that when I push the button down to turn the screen off, or do anything else, everything works 100% perfectly.

But that leaving the phone on my desk and it turns back on for a second or two, then back off, in a 30 second cycle would mean to me that this is software, as in a loop is happening, related wouldn't it???

A mechanical problem would mean that the screen would stay on or be random, I would believe.

I've just took my watch and timed it, and it's doing it precisely at every 25 seconds, and last 5 seconds then turns off again.

So if it's software related... I've done a complete erase, and a doctoring... what more can do done to truly remove everything and rebuild it????

If this is software, whatever it is, if a doctor and a full erase can't remove it... what can?
Old 12/30/2012, 09:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

webOS devices turn on when connected to AC. check your usb connector on Pre2. maybe there is some corrosion acting as conductor... I'm guessing its hardware related but not related to power button itself, bot more related to power circuits.
Old 12/30/2012, 11:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
webOS devices turn on when connected to AC. check your usb connector on Pre2. maybe there is some corrosion acting as conductor... I'm guessing its hardware related but not related to power button itself, bot more related to power circuits.
Just cleaned it with a contact cleaner and still no change...

But one thing that appears to provide more insight...

I've placed it on the Touchstone, and the clock comes on as normal, and it does not do the turn the screen on (the problem)... it stays in exhibition mode.

In the screen and lock, I've turned all notifications off, but no change....

EDIT: On the touchstone exhibition mode, if I turn the phone off (click the power button to shut the screen off), it turns on again within 2-3 seconds to exhibition mode. Then 25 seconds later, it's unlocks itself and turns the screen back completely on (not exhibition mode, but actual main screen)

I've done another reformat (full delete that takes about an hour to perform) but still no change.

Last edited by imfallen_angel; 12/30/2012 at 04:12 PM.
imfallen_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

2 questions for you.
1-did all your apps download ok from your Palm profile after you doctored, did any fail?
2-did you log in to all accounts that you have set up? Or did you skip any?
Old 12/30/2012, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Have you tried Doctoring the phone and then creating a brand-new profile?

The only other thing i could think of is the phone trying to enter deep sleep and failing, though this usually happens "silently" without powering on the screen.

Maybe there is a hardware issue or corrupted firmware that gets stumbled upon by a system service that doesn't properly handle this condition (unhandled exception)

I wonder where and what logging capabilities can be turned on to see what's happening... i've never done this, so i can't advise, but someone else reading my post probably can...
Remy X is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2012, 06:57 PM   #16 (permalink)

Don't worry. I have just replied

Certain times of the day the forum gets really empty, and depending on when you ask a question, it could be answered in 5 minutes or 5 hours.
Old 12/30/2012, 06:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhighp View Post
hey can anybody PLEASE help me with my palm pre plus!!??? i really need help and noby here responds.
FIrst, don't hijack a thread to get help.
Second, your question was answered in your thread-once you sign in, you won't need to again.
Old 12/30/2012, 08:12 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
Well, tried the pull the battery... no change...

For the app thing... I doctored it... aka complete blank, so I don't see how an app could do it now as there are absolutely no apps on it..

It's still doing it as it's asking for a SIM to start to initiating phase.
A further explanation. About 1 week ago I had to doctor my phone after it stopped showing text in emails...I had one app (maps) that the Palm profile restoration program said that the download failed. Repeated trying to download with same failure. The Palm restore that happens when you log in after a doctor visit is pretty relentless in trying to replace everything that it has backed up from your phone. It will continue to retry downloads, it usually asks if you want to retry. I think maybe the Palm profile restore was still trying to do something. I finally told it to not try to download that map app any more and I think that was what stopped my phone from going on and off by itself. I had also bypassed logging in to a couple of accounts such as facebook and Skype. It also remiinds you that you have not logged into these accounts. Wish I could remember, but whatever I did was a simple thing and definitely was not hardware related. I am using my pre2 (2.2.4) on sprint. I do not remember if it wanted to install the sim or not. If it did I disabled that as well. If I ever remember what I did for sure, I will let you know.

Last edited by dballew; 12/30/2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12/30/2012, 08:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballew View Post
2 questions for you.
1-did all your apps download ok from your Palm profile after you doctored, did any fail?
2-did you log in to all accounts that you have set up? Or did you skip any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballew View Post
A further explanation. About 1 week ago I had to doctor my phone after it stopped showing text in emails...I had one app (maps) that the Palm profile restoration program said that the download failed. Repeated trying to download with same failure. The Palm restore that happens when you log in after a doctor visit is pretty relentless in trying to replace everything that it has backed up from your phone. It will continue to retry downloads, it usually asks if you want to retry. I think maybe the Palm profile restore was still trying to do something. I finally told it to not try to download that map app any more and I think that was what stopped my phone from going on and off by itself. I had also bypassed logging in to a couple of accounts such as facebook and Skype. It also remiinds you that you have not logged into these accounts. Wish I could remember, but whatever I did was a simple thing and definitely was not hardware related. I am using my pre2 (2.2.4) on sprint. I do not remember if it wanted to install the sim or not. If it did I disabled that as well. If I ever remember what I did for sure, I will let you know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy X View Post
Have you tried Doctoring the phone and then creating a brand-new profile?

The only other thing i could think of is the phone trying to enter deep sleep and failing, though this usually happens "silently" without powering on the screen.

Maybe there is a hardware issue or corrupted firmware that gets stumbled upon by a system service that doesn't properly handle this condition (unhandled exception)

I wonder where and what logging capabilities can be turned on to see what's happening... i've never done this, so i can't advise, but someone else reading my post probably can...

Actually, I've been doing the doctor and not putting in a SIM card, so not loading anything on it (bypassing activation by putting it in DEV mode), so no accounts, no Apps, nothing, it's as pure as fresh snow.

So this "deep sleep" part sounds accurate, as you describe it, it does appear that instead of dropping off into this mode, the screen gets activated.

The fact that it is timed exactly as described... every 25 seconds for 5 seconds, hard to believe that it's hardware that could create such a timed event.

So I'd guessing that it might be a firmware issue, as described here, but if doctoring, and full erase doesn't reset this, what can?
Old 12/30/2012, 09:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

I suppose i'll go and look for the thread that talks about the deep sleep mode, where it was discussed in the context of dismal battery life on certain Pre3's. Testing for the deep sleep failure condition is pretty straight-forward (you keep the command line window open [wTerm? don't know if wTerm supports phones] while logged in as root and watch for the kernel messages about going into standby) and a fix was also provided in the same thread.

This might not be the exact problem and the fix might not be the perfect cure, but under webOS, services are "sleeping" in the background until activated by an event or a timer, and your issue definitely involves a service process that wakes up to do its thing, fails and then comes back on on a timer. Most likely the hardware is returning a signal that cannot be gracefully handled and the service is not written to permanently fail after a certain number of tries. Deep sleep failure is exactly like this (except for the screen activation) and is we could somehow "knock out" services individually, it would be possible to see what's failing and patch it.

If the Doctor isn't doing its job and it is possible to force-reflash firmware (i've seen that happen with modem firmware) this might also be another way to go, but like before, i do not promise anything... just troubleshooting.

The unit is definitely defective, but don't lose hope, because i'm very much interested in making it work and will do my best to help you, even without a very deep kernel and OS knowledge that some others here have. I'll try to find the deep sleep thread and the modem firmware fix thread, and we'll later see what else can be done to pin down the issue and force-fix it

Edit: ...found the modem reflash thread. It's not the solution to your problem, but a "proof of concept" that firmware can be reflashed outside of the regular doctor (corrupted modem, fixed)

Edit2: forund a thread regarding the sleep problem, might not be the same one, but i don't have time now... Pre Will Not Sleep

In this thread it mentions Nodoze as the fix, so try it and let us know

Last edited by Remy X; 12/30/2012 at 11:08 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0