webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Solution to repair Pre2 cracked screen (in Europe) (with a spare Pre- in the drawer)
Solution to repair Pre2 cracked screen (in Europe) (with a spare Pre- in the drawer)

Old 12/26/2012, 01:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hello everybody,
yesterday I dropped my Pre 2 and the glass broke. Everything works fine, but it is not safe to use.

I woule like to know what are my chances to find a replacement glass on the internet...
or maybe someone here have a spare/broken Pre2 to sell...

I have another option: I have a Pre- in the drawer. Is it feasible to put the Pre2 hardware (more powerful) and put it in the Pre- case (to use its display and touchscreen)?

Thank you for any help
and best holiday wishes,
Francesco

Last edited by Frankk; 12/26/2012 at 05:19 PM.
Frankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2012, 03:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

There is a step by step thread on this Forum for what your looking to do....can't remember right off the members name....someone will be with you soon enough...in the mean time I will try to look it up when I get home

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Old 12/27/2012, 05:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for the reply kataran,

I will search the forums for this guide.
I have read of FrankenPre the other way around: a Pre2 with a Pre- comm board, I hope that that Pre- with Pre2 inside hardware will be possible too.
Thanked By: kataran
Old 12/27/2012, 10:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

I did a search but couldn't find it

from what I remember the member broke his pre2 back when it was expensive to replace so he took the electronics out of the pre2 and put them in his old pre- with great success

it might have been on a former sister site webOSroundup
Old 12/30/2012, 06:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have done it! Now I have a pre minus that looks like a pre2 (with cracked screen) and vice versa!

Will post pics later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00648_.jpg (434.9 KB, 26 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by Frankk; 12/30/2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01/04/2013, 10:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

nice work!

i just went through this surgery myself. i bought a donor pre2, put its screen on my broken FrankenPre; then put the screen from the Pre- (which provided Frank's comm board) onto the donor Pre2.

I doctored the Franken with the unlocked 2.1.0 doctor, and because it's on Sprint, was able to receive the 2.2.4 OTA update. The other one, having an inactive VZN comm board, I doctored with the stock VZN 2.1.0 and bypassed activation so it works fine as a mini-TP on wifi only.

the parts are all very swappable, so you can obtain any decent screen to replace the cracked one. Whatever you see on fleabay that's cheap enough for you. But if you're ok with the cracks, because the digitizer works (mine did) you can also just put a screen guard on it to keep from getting glass chips in your fingers. even some clear packing tape will do the trick now. it's broke! as far as i know, there's no replacement GLASS available for the Pre2 or Pre3. the screens advertised on fleabay are Pre+ plastic with no round button, and i think there's Veer screens available too but i've heard mixed reviews on that.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/12/2013, 10:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
nice work!

i just went through this surgery myself. i bought a donor pre2, put its screen on my broken FrankenPre; then put the screen from the Pre- (which provided Frank's comm board) onto the donor Pre2.

I doctored the Franken with the unlocked 2.1.0 doctor, and because it's on Sprint, was able to receive the 2.2.4 OTA update. The other one, having an inactive VZN comm board, I doctored with the stock VZN 2.1.0 and bypassed activation so it works fine as a mini-TP on wifi only.

the parts are all very swappable, so you can obtain any decent screen to replace the cracked one. Whatever you see on fleabay that's cheap enough for you. But if you're ok with the cracks, because the digitizer works (mine did) you can also just put a screen guard on it to keep from getting glass chips in your fingers. even some clear packing tape will do the trick now. it's broke! as far as i know, there's no replacement GLASS available for the Pre2 or Pre3. the screens advertised on fleabay are Pre+ plastic with no round button, and i think there's Veer screens available too but i've heard mixed reviews on that.
I broke my freakin pre 2 screen after a couple months. I put my pre - through hell and still not broken
redrum0036 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0