webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > No matter what u hear in there; no matter how cruelly I beg u; DO NOT OPEN THIS DOOR!
No matter what u hear in there; no matter how cruelly I beg u; DO NOT OPEN THIS DOOR!
Like Tree2Likes

Old 12/22/2012, 12:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

**update: this thread is fairly complete. with the help of the community, i'm using my Sprint FrankenPre2 RIGHT NOW. if you're about to take on this same project, you may find some help here. i've posted links to the solutions that i found or were suggested to me. hopefully they'll help you too.

ok everyone - i'm going at it again - my donor Pre2 has arrived and the screen is in great shape.

I'm going to revive my FrankenPre! A brand new Pre2 that I had converted and used a mere month before dropping it and breaking the "gorilla" glass. *oops* But I'm going to bring it back to life with some major surgery involving three phones.

First I'll have to remove the glass & digitizer from the new donor. It's a VZN phone, so I'll have to then open up my Pre- and pull the Sprint comm board...THEN i'll disassemble the broken Pre2, remove the broken glass and reassemble it all.

BUT before I get started...

I'm probably going to be reading all day today, to remind myself how to do the conversion. And I'll have to sift through the early vs. late info, so I can find all of the improvements that came up after the original posts from the infamous Pastor Rich and webOS wizard Rod W! I could probably spend more time searching to find the most current info, than to do the hardware work. So...

IF ANYONE CAN HELP, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR TIPS OR LINKS TO THE MOST USEFUL THREADS, VIDEOS, ETC.

I'd be especially grateful for any and all advice on setting up the phone once I do the physical hardware changes. I don't mind tearing things down and rebuilding them, but the correct steps for doctoring, which doctor, and what patches and tweaks to add afterward are what's most confusing (and anxiety causing) to me.

I KNOW there are plenty of daily-drivin' Pre2 users out there, and some are "Frankens". Sincere thank yous in advance for all advice you have on how to best set up the phone.

I'd love to document the whole thing with pics, but i'll be disassembling all my cameras too since they're part of the phones! so if i can find an actual camera from someone before i get started, i'll try to do that. if i can get a video camera, i'll shoot it all in b/w! hahah! "IT'S FRANKENSTEIN; I MEAN, FRANKENPRE!!!"

ok, off to the archives...

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/29/2012 at 03:39 PM. Reason: video/thread 'cleanup'
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2012, 05:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

okayyyy.....

after 5 straight hrs of reading, including my own thread from the first time i tried this, has scared the crap outta me. now i don't know whether to put the comm board and screen on the already meta-doctored chassis that still has all my Sprint software and settings; or just Franken the donor? hasn't someone figured out how to do a FrankenPre just thru Preware yet??

haha ok so to take a break, and keep from starting tonight and missing the game (go Falcons!), i just went to youtube and watched funny videos and gifs for a few minutes. like these:

The Very Best GIFs of 2012

although i love Michelle J., the Cookie Monster just keeps cracking me up!
Liked by zubiaur likes this.
Old 12/23/2012, 03:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJs11thPre View Post
okayyyy.....

after 5 straight hrs of reading, including my own thread from the first time i tried this, has scared the crap outta me. now i don't know whether to put the comm board and screen on the already meta-doctored chassis that still has all my Sprint software and settings; or just Franken the donor? hasn't someone figured out how to do a FrankenPre just thru Preware yet??

haha ok so to take a break, and keep from starting tonight and missing the game (go Falcons!), i just went to youtube and watched funny videos and gifs for a few minutes. like these:

The Very Best GIFs of 2012

although i love Michelle J., the Cookie Monster just keeps cracking me up!
Why change the comms board if you already had a working device sans the cracked LCD?

If you were using it on sprint before cracking the LCD, then everything should still be good to go on Sprint when you replace just the cracked LCD.

- Take the main board off the back side of the broken LCD of the Pre 2 device you were using on sprint (with all of your settings profile etc).

- Use it to replace the main board on the back side of the donor pre 2 LCD you're putting into service.

- Put that LCD/main board you just assembled onto the chassis you were using before cracking its LCD

-Use THE EXISTING COMMS BOARD on that chassis, not the comms board from the new donor pre 2 chassis or the old comms board from the Pre -. You were using the Pre 2 and whatever comms board / ESN you had in it on Sprint until you cracked the LCD so you must have previously performed the conversion process on that Pre 2. You only cracked the LCD, why mess with a verizon comms board/ESN swap or why redo the Sprint FrankenPre conversion again if you don't need to?

- This way all you're replacing is the broken LCD, you'll still be using the same main board and the same comms board you were using before you broke the LCD.

** If you have not removed the phone with the broken LCD from your Palm Profile in order to use another one temporarily you'll only need to power up the device you just put together and start using it with its new LCD. Everything else remains the same as it was before you broke the lcd.

** Otherwise, If you removed the phone from your palm profile by temporarily putting another webOS phone on it until you fixed the broken lcd, you'll need to add the repaired Pre 2 device back to your palm profile the usual way, just make sure to copy all of /media internal from the temporary webOS device you were using to your PC so you can take what you want or need and copy it back to the repaired device after its alive and kicking again on your Palm Profile.

That's what makes sense to me, others may have differing opinions.

TTB
Thanked By: TJs11thPre
Old 12/23/2012, 09:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
Why change the comms board if you already had a working device sans the cracked LCD?

TTB
Barry, thank you so much for your input here. I don't think I explained very well what I've got to work with, so here's where the hardware currently stands:

1. The donor Pre2 is an inactive VZN phone. It appears the P.O. didn't even reset it, as it still has his apps and VZN email ID.

2. The broken VZN Pre2 has a Sprint comm board in it, but it's one that came with that phone (since it was Franken'd by its original owner) but I have never associated that board with my phone#)
This broken phone DOES have almost all of my Sprint settings still in it, from when it was active on my acct. But it does not have a palm profile associated with it. At hpwebos.com, the email ID has no phone associated with it.

3. The original Sprint Pre- was reactivated on Sprint, using its original comm board. Yes, I took it out of the Frank and put it back where it came from, the Pre-. So its IMEI and s/n are what's associated to my phone number at the hpwebos profile site.

So- i'm pretty sure I must use the active comm board, which is in the Pre-.

i had planned on:

1. taking the entire top half of the donor, and replacing the broken bit.
2. put the active Pre- comm board back into the broken phone.
3. turn on and see what happens? call sprint if necessary? hmm... some plan.

i was hoping to have dug up some better info on this by now. but all i've found is tutorials on the hardware part, which is not a problem for me. it's the software and programming side that perplexes me. and the info online about that is all from 2011. i'm not even sure if i still need to use Ubuntu (which i have on here from last time) or anything else. this is going to be harder than my enthusiasm thought it would be.

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/23/2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12/23/2012, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

If you have to swap the comm board anyway, the easiest thing to do is goin to be to swap it into the new Pre2 and just run the meta-doctor again. It is far simpler to swap the comm board than the screen. Oh wait.. You said the PO did the Franken.. Well, I don't find installing Ubuntu and running the meta-doctor is not difficult, but whatever you feel is easier for you is probably the best bet. Regardless, you have to use a Sprint comm board and and it has to already be active on Sprint before installing it into the Pre2.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by TJs11thPre likes this.
Thanked By: TJs11thPre
Old 12/23/2012, 10:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
because i took it out of the broken phone and put it back in its original phone.

Quote:
- Take the main board off the back side of the broken LCD of the Pre 2 device you were using on sprint (with all of your settings profile etc).

- Use it to replace the main board on the back side of the donor pre 2 LCD you're putting into service.
aha! i did not think of this. i need to keep the main board that's behind the broken screen. wow thank you for bringing this up.

Quote:
-Use THE EXISTING COMMS BOARD on that chassis, not the comms board from the new donor pre 2 chassis or the old comms board from the Pre -. You were using the Pre 2 and whatever comms board / ESN you had in it on Sprint until you cracked the LCD so you must have previously performed the conversion process on that Pre 2. You only cracked the LCD, why mess with a verizon comms board/ESN swap or why redo the Sprint FrankenPre conversion again if you don't need to?

I DON'T KNOW HERE. I thought i have to keep the only active comm board. right? i think this is necessary. the board in the cracked phone DOES see Sprint, it lights up the bars, but there's no profile associated to it. i could try using that board and see what happens

Quote:
** If you have not removed the phone with the broken LCD from your Palm Profile in order to use another one temporarily you'll only need to power up the device you just put together and start using it with its new LCD. Everything else remains the same as it was before you broke the lcd.
this is what i thought i could do. now i realize i have to do what you're suggesting below.

Quote:
** Otherwise, If you removed the phone from your palm profile by temporarily putting another webOS phone on it until you fixed the broken lcd, you'll need to add the repaired Pre 2 device back to your palm profile the usual way, just make sure to copy all of /media internal from the temporary webOS device you were using to your PC so you can take what you want or need and copy it back to the repaired device after its alive and kicking again on your Palm Profile.
but i'll probably also have to contact Sprint to make sure the new ESN connects with my phone #, which is what i had to do last time. and i had to do it over the phone, as the site tried to charge me the $10 smart phone fee. Now when i try to make the change online, it won't even give me an option, it just says call in for a 'chat'.

ok i think i'm ready to start ripping hardware apart.
Old 12/23/2012, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
If you have to swap the comm board anyway, the easiest thing to do is goin to be to swap it into the new Pre2 and just run the meta-doctor again. It is far simpler to swap the comm board than the screen. Oh wait.. You said the PO did the Franken.. Well, I don't find installing Ubuntu and running the meta-doctor is not difficult, but whatever you feel is easier for you is probably the best bet. Regardless, you have to use a Sprint comm board and and it has to already be active on Sprint before installing it into the Pre2.
THANK YOU for chiming in just in time. i think you are right, that i have to use the only active comm board, which is currently in the Pre-. The other Sprint board is in the broken phone, but i wouldn't be able to activate it in there, so it's got to go.

it's funny though, that you think running the meta doctor is easier than the hardware swap and i think the opposite, which is why i'm going to the trouble to disassemble 2 whole phones.

but there are video and picture instructions online that clearly describe how to do this, and as long as i'm careful, i can dis/reassemble anything.

there ARE NOT any clear instructions on the metadoctor process. the webosinternals thread for Frankenpre are very old and very confusing to me, as far as which doctor to run, how much has been superceded by using WOQI, etc.

so i have to go with the hardware swap.

i'm going to start disassembling everything, which should take about an hour, and i'll check back here to see if anyone new feedback has come in.

thanks again!
Old 12/23/2012, 10:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

thought just occured to me:

am i going to need the MSL for this donor before i start tearing it apart?

ugh i hope not. "nurse: scalpel. i mean, 5 mm torx"
Old 12/23/2012, 10:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs11thpre View Post
thank you for chiming in just in time. I think you are right, that i have to use the only active comm board, which is currently in the pre-. The other sprint board is in the broken phone, but i wouldn't be able to activate it in there, so it's got to go.

It's funny though, that you think running the meta doctor is easier than the hardware swap and i think the opposite, which is why i'm going to the trouble to disassemble 2 whole phones.

But there are video and picture instructions online that clearly describe how to do this, and as long as i'm careful, i can dis/reassemble anything.

There are not any clear instructions on the metadoctor process. The webosinternals thread for frankenpre are very old and very confusing to me, as far as which doctor to run, how much has been superceded by using woqi, etc.

So i have to go with the hardware swap.

I'm going to start disassembling everything, which should take about an hour, and i'll check back here to see if anyone new feedback has come in.

Thanks again!

yes use the active comms board from the pre -. I did not know the comms board in the broken lcd pre 2 was not active when i wrote my prior post. Apologies for the confusion.
Old 12/23/2012, 10:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
thought just occured to me:

am i going to need the MSL for this donor before i start tearing it apart?

ugh i hope not. "nurse: scalpel. i mean, 5 mm torx"
you won't need the MSL from the donor Pre 2 if you use the main board from the other PRE 2 with the broken LCD. You already Franken'd that one, correct?? That's the main board I would use.

FYI, The meta doctor process is actually very simple. There are premade scripts to do most of the dirty work now. Thought I'd share that in case you decide to forgo the hw swap. If you screw up the donor pre 2 device using the meta doctor process (which you won't because it isn't hard) then you can revert to plan B and do the hardware swap using the main board and comms board out of the other two devices. This way you save hardware swap as you backup plan B in case for some oddball reason you mess up doing plan A, the meta doctor process. you probably wont mess it up anyways, but its always nice to have a backup plan for any work like this.

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 12/23/2012 at 10:47 AM.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
you won't need the MSL from the donor Pre 2 if you use the main board from the other PRE 2 with the broken LCD. You already Franken'd that one, correct. That's the main board I would use.
awesomeness. you guys rock. i'm gonna have a new FrankenPre for Christmas.

here i go!
Old 12/23/2012, 10:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
THANK YOU for chiming in just in time. i think you are right, that i have to use the only active comm board, which is currently in the Pre-. The other Sprint board is in the broken phone, but i wouldn't be able to activate it in there, so it's got to go.

it's funny though, that you think running the meta doctor is easier than the hardware swap and i think the opposite, which is why i'm going to the trouble to disassemble 2 whole phones.

but there are video and picture instructions online that clearly describe how to do this, and as long as i'm careful, i can dis/reassemble anything.

there ARE NOT any clear instructions on the metadoctor process. the webosinternals thread for Frankenpre are very old and very confusing to me, as far as which doctor to run, how much has been superceded by using WOQI, etc.

so i have to go with the hardware swap.

i'm going to start disassembling everything, which should take about an hour, and i'll check back here to see if anyone new feedback has come in.

thanks again!
The comm board swap, and even the backplate swap, are pretty easy, but to swap screens you have to separate the slider to remove the mainboard from the screen. It may be easier than it looks, but you can't get to the bottom two screws while the slider is together. I guess I need to try it on my previous Sprint Pre with the broken screen (well, actually chewed-up by my dog) because then I could have a fully-functional Sprint Pre spare.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2012, 12:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

update while i give my eyes a break.

the reassembly is underway. the main board i needed to keep is in the new phone. i tore one of the two ribbons on the old digitizer; thank goodness that was part of the broken assy anyway. otherwise, so far so good. i wanted to try to swap the orange key'd keyboard in, but separating this from the metal plate looks like asking for trouble, so i'm leaving it alone. otherwise, i'm cranking right along.

the resources i've been using so far are:

1. for detailed disassembly of the plastic keyboard bezel from the body, which is one of the trickiest parts, Pastor Rich's pics are best:
Sprint Pre 2 - WebOS Internals
2. for a great verbal explanation of the complete disassembly, this guy's vid is awesome. i don't see any ID for him, but i owe this guy a beer or 6. the vid is a little blurry, but he covers complete disassembly including the ribbon locks which must be flipped open.
Palm Pre2 Complete Dis-Assembly: Part 1 on Vimeo
3. for some good close up shots, but not enough explanation. in fact, just enough to get into trouble if not for the video above:
Palm Pre Teardown - iFixit
4. and for some clarification on a few steps, words of wisdom from the Master Rod W:
How to disassemble & reassemble a Palm Pre

hopefully this thread will help others as a most current resource.

ok back to work.

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/23/2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12/23/2012, 01:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

ok, it's alive!

but sprint is no longer in the top left corner. everything seems to work though.

now what? call sprint? some kinda reset? i don't know what to do about the palm profile either. the accounts list shows the name of the profile associated with the Pre-, but that won't work cuz the phone info at hpwebos is for the pre-. should i remove that phone from the profile at the site?

so many questions. argh. i just did a sym/orange reset, that did nothing. i'm afraid of doing a system reset.

i guess i'll call sprint and try to reactivate. i don't know why it didn't just start right up

suggestions?
Old 12/23/2012, 01:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

uh oh. i turned on wifi and now it's forcing a reboot...hmm
Old 12/23/2012, 02:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

ugh on the phone with clueless sprint tech. zzz

well it appears she guided me to fubar it. i lost all my personal info that was on the logistics menu. instead of my personal sprint pcs email it has the MEID@ address.

now i'm with a new tech. she had me reset it again. i think i'm s.o.l. and will have to put it back into the pre- before i can reignite this comm board. ugh!

dang it! argh. i will definitely have to put the board back into the pre-, somehow reactivate that and then put it back over here. i completely wasted my time dissecting this phone if i am going to have to meta-doctor the thing anyway. i could have just put the comm board in the new donor.

why is the software part so difficult? what did i do wrong?

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/23/2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12/23/2012, 04:43 PM   #17 (permalink)

ok, board reactivated just by dropping into pre-. all tests work. i'm putting it back into the pre2 and doing the metadoctor for franken pre like the original instructions indicate. i hope this works!

i have read and re-read this page and i just dont get it:
http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_2_Upgrade

it is too confusing.

do i use WOQI? or ubuntu? i'm going to read it again....i wish it was clearer.

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/23/2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12/23/2012, 06:29 PM   #18 (permalink)

ok, i might have something here...

after reactivating the comm board in the Pre-, i just stuffed it right back in the Pre2. Then I ran the doctor pkg that I had from the last time i did it. I just put it in recovery mode (with the big USB symbol) and ran the doctor, then went and took a shower.

So far, I see Sprint in the left corner, it's allowed me to create a new Palm profile, and is restarting. Let's see how the patient is now...

heehah! sprint VM works!
txt works!
gmail syncs!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

heheh ok well i think i did it. jeez wow! i'm going to install preware and try to put some of my settings back how they were.

and take some ibuprofen. ugh my back is killing me from sitting at the kitchen table all day. i'll post some pics tomorrow. if anyone has suggestions on best power saving tricks, please chime in!

Merry Christmas to me! haha thanks for the support everyone!
Old 12/24/2012, 12:19 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
ok, i might have something here...

after reactivating the comm board in the Pre-, i just stuffed it right back in the Pre2. Then I ran the doctor pkg that I had from the last time i did it. I just put it in recovery mode (with the big USB symbol) and ran the doctor, then went and took a shower.

So far, I see Sprint in the left corner, it's allowed me to create a new Palm profile, and is restarting. Let's see how the patient is now...

heehah! sprint VM works!
txt works!
gmail syncs!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

heheh ok well i think i did it. jeez wow! i'm going to install preware and try to put some of my settings back how they were.

and take some ibuprofen. ugh my back is killing me from sitting at the kitchen table all day. i'll post some pics tomorrow. if anyone has suggestions on best power saving tricks, please chime in!

Merry Christmas to me! haha thanks for the support everyone!
Congrats. Glad the operation was a success. Merry Christmas.
Old 12/24/2012, 11:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

i can't download pandora. is it because of the version 2.1.0? should i up it to 2.2.4?

can anyone else see the download available thru HP catalog? can someone send me the app in a package file?

**skip ahead for the solution to this issue

Last edited by TJs11thPre; 12/29/2012 at 03:18 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0