webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Problem with open wifi
Problem with open wifi

Old 12/18/2012, 04:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

I went to a place with an open wifi , and my pre 2 was not able to connect , the only think I got was failure to obtain ip . After that I went to my house change the setting to open wifi in my router and I did not have any problems . Any idea of what is the problem ?

I am running 2.1.0 Verizon with preware
SirPaulGerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Channels? Not sure how well it applies to the Pre2, but on TouchPad and Pre3 I've heard only channel 2 and a few off the end work well.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2012, 10:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Channels? Not sure how well it applies to the Pre2, but on TouchPad and Pre3 I've heard only channel 2 and a few off the end work well.
what do you mean by channels ? how do you fix it ?

thanks
Old 12/18/2012, 11:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaulGerman View Post

thanks
Channels range from 1 to 14, depending on your country. Each channel takes up a certain band in the wireless spectrum, and it appears the TouchPad and Pre3 receives better in certain ones than others. For public WiFi, there's not really much you can do about it because you don't have access to the admin panels of the hotspots.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

thanks
Go into the router's control panel and look at the WIFI settings, channels will be one of the options, most times, set on auto, which, for me works fine.

Problem is, some items require the channel to be set (or older routers may not have the auto setting).

I've yet to find a single router that my Pre doesn't work with, but I'm sure that it can happen.

From brand to brand I've read about instances that even with all the settings set perfectly, the devices just won't talk to each other.

Also note... newer routers that use 5Ghz works fine for the Touchpad, but the Pre and Pre2 are 2.4Ghz devices only, so I advise to ensure that anyone getting new routers, make sure that they are getting dual simultaneous band capable ones.
Old 12/19/2012, 08:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
I went to a place with an open wifi , and my pre 2 was not able to connect , the only think I got was failure to obtain ip . After that I went to my house change the setting to open wifi in my router and I did not have any problems . Any idea of what is the problem ?

I am running 2.1.0 Verizon with preware
Another note... Open might not mean "let anyone connect to it".

Some open spot will still require a password (usually via browser), and some require MAC address confirmation to be added to their system.

So "a place with open WIFI" isn't enough info to provide you with a better answer...

Where was this? restaurant? library? mall?

Open doesn't always mean "free internet", only that it's broadcasting it's name and that there's no actual password on it's access. I tend to be able to access their control panels when I see such thing, and confirm that while I can access it, (it may be password protected) there's no actual access granted.
Old 12/19/2012, 10:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
Another note... Open might not mean "let anyone connect to it".

Some open spot will still require a password (usually via browser), and some require MAC address confirmation to be added to their system.

So "a place with open WIFI" isn't enough info to provide you with a better answer...

Where was this? restaurant? library? mall?

Open doesn't always mean "free internet", only that it's broadcasting it's name and that there's no actual password on it's access. I tend to be able to access their control panels when I see such thing, and confirm that while I can access it, (it may be password protected) there's no actual access granted.

Before I got the pre 2 , I had a HTC droid that work fine in the same place , no problems whatsoever

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0