webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Music library not loading all mp3 files
Music library not loading all mp3 files
Like Tree1Likes

Old 12/19/2012, 07:05 AM   #21 (permalink)

I've been digging at the media indexer all night, so I'll clear up some misconceptions about when things are indexed. Files are indexed either when it changes (any change, such as saving something on the USB partition), and after the device comes out of MSM (USB drive) mode. In the latter case, everything is cataloged, but only against a list of whether the file was checked or not, and the last time it was modified. The media file parser itself is not in JavaScript, but the service that takes the data and inserts it into the media database is. So if you want, you can edit the media indexer to support additional tags. However, I've never got the non-minified version to work.

To have the indexer catalog everything again:
Code:
luna-send -n 1 palm://com.palm.filenotifyd/reset {}
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 12:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
One question would be... are you dumping all the song in a single folder or do you have it properly organized in sub folders (artist - album)?... make sure that no special characters are in those folder names.
Yes, all files "dumped" in the one folder called Music. Have never thought of putting each artist/album in separate folders as I thought that would play havoc with Windows Media Player (which I use for playback on the pc) and almost certainly with things like the Pre.

It seems to be working fine now (I've added 10 new mp3s today without issue). Just as long as I don't hit it with 700 files all in one go.

Last edited by NickM99; 12/19/2012 at 01:04 PM.
NickM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 04:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

I didn't see anybody suggest it, but you should go into Preware and get Media Indexer Refresh.... this is the first thing you should use to attempt to fix a file that is not showing up with a media indexer app (music, photos, etc).
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2012, 04:20 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
I didn't see anybody suggest it, but you should go into Preware and get Media Indexer Refresh.... this is the first thing you should use to attempt to fix a file that is not showing up with a media indexer app (music, photos, etc).
I prefer the "kiss of death" method (as written in the media indexer source code), where all palm.com.media.* DB kinds are removed, and then luna-send to palm://com.palm.filenotifyd/reset to have the file cache list cleaned and everything reindexed. At least the file modification time doesn't get changed.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
Old 12/19/2012, 09:15 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM99 View Post
Yes, all files "dumped" in the one folder called Music. Have never thought of putting each artist/album in separate folders as I thought that would play havoc with Windows Media Player (which I use for playback on the pc) and almost certainly with things like the Pre.

It seems to be working fine now (I've added 10 new mp3s today without issue). Just as long as I don't hit it with 700 files all in one go.
Odd that you'd think that, as subfolder structure is a very standard setup, and very much more efficient than a dump of files in a single folder.

If you get your files from a reputable site, it should provide you with this sort of setup, and if you rip CDs with WMP it will do this by default.

While it's somewhat working for you, I'd still recommend making your files the same, for the simple fact that at least, you'd have proper set, ensuring stability across the files.
Old 12/20/2012, 12:40 AM   #26 (permalink)

I usually prefer my music in FLAC, but that's usually not the case. I've got a mix of MP3 and OGG, and they're all tagged with Mp3Tag. Works perfectly fine. And yes, they're in folders.
Old 12/20/2012, 09:34 AM   #27 (permalink)

it has to be something with the encoding of some of your files or some are corrupted in a way that trips up your phone.
I've got dozens of albums on my phones and TouchPad, all organized by artist and album, in various formats with no issues ever when copying them.. Most were ripped using Audiograbber (using Lame plugin), originally when mp3 players were measured in mb I ripped at 128kbps then later started using 256kbps and 384kbps. I also have unprotected itunes music in m4a format and Amazon downloads at 384kbps I believe. Sometimes I forget to clean up Windows Media player's downloaded album art and have not had that cause a problem either.

I've never tried piling a bunch in a single folder to see what happens, but because of your problem, I'm going to test it out.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Last edited by Grabber5.0; 12/20/2012 at 09:52 AM.
Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2012, 11:16 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
it has to be something with the encoding of some of your files or some are corrupted in a way that trips up your phone.
I've got dozens of albums on my phones and TouchPad, all organized by artist and album, in various formats with no issues ever when copying them.. Most were ripped using Audiograbber (using Lame plugin), originally when mp3 players were measured in mb I ripped at 128kbps then later started using 256kbps and 384kbps. I also have unprotected itunes music in m4a format and Amazon downloads at 384kbps I believe. Sometimes I forget to clean up Windows Media player's downloaded album art and have not had that cause a problem either.

I've never tried piling a bunch in a single folder to see what happens, but because of your problem, I'm going to test it out.
Just as an example.. I have over 180 songs, all uploaded the same time, using Windows Media Player...

While my collection consists mostly of files that are WMA 192 (darn fine enough for me), I converted everything as MP3 192 (aside the few files I did already have as MP3s, which may vary in quality).

As you can see... all with subfolders structure... and no issues.

As already stated, the only time I've ever had trouble was if the table wouldn't update, which required a reboot, but eventually learned that it was caused by a few corrupted files, that I re-downloaded or re-rendered. Since then, I've never had much issues.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg music.jpg (54.2 KB, 7 views) Email Attachment
Old 12/27/2012, 02:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
I prefer the "kiss of death" method (as written in the media indexer source code), where all palm.com.media.* DB kinds are removed, and then luna-send to palm://com.palm.filenotifyd/reset to have the file cache list cleaned and everything reindexed. At least the file modification time doesn't get changed.
good point on that, I haven't had a huge issue with it though (my Veer was the worst with photos taken by the camera not indexing)
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2012, 05:52 PM   #30 (permalink)

Next time we need to diagnose an audio issue like this, there is a great tool for analyzing audio files, although i won't be much help in trying to make sense of those MP3 format subtleties...

It has been abandoned for 6+ years, but the developer was kind enough to give away a license to the full version

http://web.archive.org/web/200802111...ro2.2beta2.zip

Right-click the link to download, then install and register the program with the following credentials.
Name: EncSpotUser
Email address: encspot@encspot.com
Code: 48958257-3BFF93AC-DF0FEFC1-FC42CCE6

I know this is useful and important, and even though i can't really use it myself, i'm sure someone will be able to develop a diagnostic guide around it.
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0