webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Pre2 or Veer...
Pre2 or Veer...
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Remy X
  • 2 Post By webos_ftw
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover

Old 12/08/2012, 10:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

(sorry if this needs to be moved, I couldn't figure out where to put it )

I'm considering either the GSM Pre2 or a Veer... and I was wondering what are the differences between webOS 2.2.4 (on the Pre2)... and webOS 2.1.2 (Veer)?

Thanks,
Daniel
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/08/2012, 11:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Alright.

The Veer is smaller, thinner and more compact. The Pre2 can use screens, batteries, back covers and comm boards from the original Pre+/-, which are all dirt cheap. It also has the 3.5mm headphone jack while the Veer has a magnetic adapter.

AFAIK, 2.2.4 includes Skype. The Veer can be Doctored up to run 2.2.4, but then its wired headphone output goes from stereo to mono, so if you upgrade, Bluetooth stereo headphones solve the stereo problem.

The Veer's firmware is slightly more fragile when it comes to the modem and the "touch to share" chip (see the "Rod bricked a Veer!" thread) and if you are Doctoring it, make sure nothing accidentally knocks the magnetic USB connector out of place, so shut the door and watch your children, pets and poltergeists

They are both good phones, but the Pre2 is a Pre and the Veer is a Veer ..apples and oranges IMHO
Remy X is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by laingman likes this.
Thanked By: webos_ftw
Old 12/09/2012, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Simply put, only get a Veer if you just can't get over how awesomely small it is.

Otherwise the Pre 2 wins by miles.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2012, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
(sorry if this needs to be moved, I couldn't figure out where to put it )

I'm considering either the GSM Pre2 or a Veer... and I was wondering what are the differences between webOS 2.2.4 (on the Pre2)... and webOS 2.1.2 (Veer)?

Thanks,
Daniel
I guess you are asking about differences between the versions of the OS...

The largest difference is that at 2.2.4 when you BlueTooth sync a Pre 2 to a TouchPad you get full, two way use of Voice and SMS text on the TP. Meaning you can send and receive calls and texts from the tablet while paired.

With 2.1.2 you get inbound only.

The only major "bug" I've had on my 2.1.2 Veer is that occasionally after a Luna restart or a reboot the screen lock goes away when you wake the device. It goes straight into the Main display or whatever App I have open. After a few sleep wake cycles the screen lock comes back on its own. Not a deal breaker for me and this is so minor, IMHO, it is the first I've ever even thought of mentioning it on the board.

Let me add this: If you look at Veer and Pre 2 spec the Pre 2 seems to win hands down with CPU speed and battery capacity...

However, having both devices I can say that Veer is actually pretty optimized. Right out of the box it performs pretty snappily and the smallish battery lasts, use for use, about the same as Pre 2 stock. Mostly that is likely due to the small screen drawing less power.

Add Preware + Govnah/UberKernel and you can overclock Veer to 1.402 GHz so Veer can actually edge out Pre 2 even starting from a lower base. I've tweaked both my phones pretty much the same. IMHO, Veer outperforms Pre 2 in every category except screen size. Use for use, my tweaked out Veer lasts about as long as Pre 2 with a Mugen 1400 mAH battery... Very close anyway. It's been awhile since I payed close enough attention.

Veer is a great performing phone. The sound quality and volume in-call shames the Pre 2. Probably the main reason I use Veer as a Daily and regret dusting off Pre 2 is that call quality. It's a phone. Calls are a number one priority. I have to struggle to hear callers on a Pre 2 in less than optimal listening conditions. Not so on Veer.

Next look at the data speed specs:
Pre 2 is HSDPA, 7.2 Mbps; HSUPA, 2 Mbps
Veer is HSDPA 14.4 Mbps, HSUPA 5.76 Mbps

I can tell you first hand I notice the difference every time I switch between the two. Especially when tethering...

Hope some of that helps. I know you asked about the difference in the OS versions and to me they both feel about the same. Biggest difference being BT sync with TouchPad. It is probably good to consider the hardware side as well. Veer feels more solidly built as well.

If you can deal with the size differential - I really say Veer outperforms Pre 2 by a very appreciable margin and the difference between 2.1.2 vs 2.2.4 is not that big a deal.

P.S.: If you get a Veer and really need that TP connectivity there are several fixes via Meta-Doctor, provided you can find a Veer 2.2.4 source.
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: webos_ftw
Old 12/09/2012, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

I love the way the Veer looks... I don't care for Skype (please don't attack me)... TTS doesn't like a big deal (I'm not sure if I'll get a TouchPad yet)... I don't use my devices for really intensive things (90% of my life is in a browser)... I'm going to try and avoid doctoring... Data speed is (most likely) going to be about the same for me, no matter what phone I use (3G is a big deal here, gives you an idea of how big my town is...)

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I'll go with a Veer...
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ananimus and RumoredNow like this.
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 12/10/2012, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I would go for the Veer too! I have both and the Veer just feels more modern and feels like it has a better build quality.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 12/10/2012, 04:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I... I don't use my devices for really intensive things (90% of my life is in a browser)... I'm going to try and avoid doctoring... Data speed is (most likely) going to be about the same for me, no matter what phone I use (3G is a big deal here, gives you an idea of how big my town is...)

Thanks everyone for the info. I think I'll go with a Veer...
If you are saying that you spent most of the times on the internet, I'm going to slightly suggest to go with a Pre 2(despite it's not no bright specs over the Veer). I think that the screen size its an important part of browsing the web, and a Veer 2.6 inch isn't much of a real-estate to deal with viewing of web content and it's simply too small. While the Pre 2 it's not large screen like the Pre 3 model with its 3.5 inch display, it's much better when viewing things on your phone. The only thing that I would talk about its the qwerty keyboard, don't like it very much....I prefer the Palm Pixi clicky keyboard was much better than my current phone Pre 2.
Old 12/10/2012, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

I like both devices, they both have their pros and cons.

If you want games and apps, Pre2
If you want/need to carry backup battery or extended battery Pre2
If screen size is an issue Pre2

The Veer is a performance monster especially considering its size. The proprietary headphone jack and usb adapter can be a pain for some. I use touchstones and BT so was a non issue for me.

The Veer does have a known touchscreen bug on some units, one of our 2 has it, drove my wife insane, it wasn't all the time, but enough to be frustrating. Wife still uses her Pre2 daily and I would be using Pre2 or Veer if I didn't have the Pre3.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Remy X likes this.
Old 12/11/2012, 01:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
... Data speed is (most likely) going to be about the same for me, no matter what phone I use (3G is a big deal here, gives you an idea of how big my town is...)
You will get that data speed boost though. H+ is just a more open governor on 3G...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 03:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hello. I have pre2 and pre3 phones, both good, but hard to find here in UK, reading posts about the veer,
It sounds like a good phone but never seen one, or any for sale, we're they USA only?,
I would buy one just to try it and add to webOS collection, it's a shame webOS Was abandoned a nice OS,
Traderhorn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/16/2013, 05:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

The Veer was sold in Germany.by retailers aswell as o2. You might want to search on ebay germany and ask sellers if they are willing to deliver to UK aswell. Used Veers sell for around 40-70€ atm.

I just got a Veer yesterday and so far I love it. I also own a Pre-, Pre2 and Pre3. The Pre- I will keep for nostalgic reasons. The Pre2 I imported from UK less than a month prior to the firesale when I got the Pre3. Kept the Pre2 in case anything happened to the Pre3, but never used it in the last 1,5 years. I guess I will try to sell it now that I have the Veer. The Veer is equally powerful as the Pre2. The only drawbacks for me are that you can't swap the battery and you need the headphone adapter if you want to listen to music. I don't play games on the phone, so the different screen size and therefor smaller number of games available isn't a problem for me. The Veer has superior build quality over the Pre2. And due to it's size it is more of a real alternative to the Pre3. Looking forward to go out with it, not caring about a big phone in the pocket any more.

Last edited by DocJones; 01/16/2013 at 05:25 PM.
DocJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/25/2013, 08:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm revisiting this now too. Just switched a non-CDMA carrier, so now I have the option of the full array of webOS devices. Went with the Pre 3 and loving my test drive.

I really do like advocating for smaller phones. The Pre 3 hits a fantastic sweet spot in these days of phablets. All the bells and whistles, still not a very big phone. Reading some of these comments and also agree with webos_ftw. I'm totally getting a used Veer next month just for the novelty since I can swap back and forth now.

The more I look at this Pre 3 and the Veer, the more I have a for Palm. No one makes hardware quite like this. /gush
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0