webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > Questions about Pre 2 and WEBOS 2.2.4?
Questions about Pre 2 and WEBOS 2.2.4?

Old 12/01/2012, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hi, my first time posting here but been registered for a while.

Heres some of my problems and also something else I want to ask

Is this just a webos 2.2.4 bug?

My balance notification hangs once pressed OK or Cancel.
Browser sometimes auto zooms out and in constantly
Half a page is loaded so cannot scroll all way down
Browser going completely grey when trying to scroll
Some lag now and again causing bit of trouble typing etc

Don't know if this is a bug? But anyway, some issues have been bugging me and I am wondering how easy it is to patch files?

Also, was looking at the virtual keyboard and how its a bit unstable and thinking maybe I could try and start writing my own webos apps? And hopefully if I get good at it start uploading them to the catalog.

Webos is the best operating system, shame some things aren't up to scratch and don't want to down grade to 1.4.5 because its out of date now.

How many people are still using webos 2.2.4 on pre 2?

What things do I need to write my own apps etc? Wanted to patch up some browser problems (the browser is awful when I use it, a shame for me) and try and create my own virtual keyboard as well as try and build a game like Sparkle which I enjoy

Is webos apps easy to create? What do I need to build a decent game (simple 2D for the moment, strategy like Sparkle).
I have heard java, css, C++, enyo (no idea what this is) etc, can anyone explain?

Patches easy to create? There are some on hear that aren't in the preware catalog, so wondering what different patches are and what enyo does.

Thank for any input
mikeo01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post
My balance notification hangs once pressed OK or Cancel. What do you mean?
-- don't know about that
Half a page is loaded so cannot scroll all way down I got that constantly, I'm not sure if it's limited to 2.2.4
Browser going completely grey when trying to scroll Complete with the spinny-thing?
-- dont know about this either

Don't know if this is a bug? But anyway, some issues have been bugging me and I am wondering how easy it is to patch files? It is relatively easy to patch files, but you have to know what you're doing. But I don't know from personal experience. I just know how it works. You change values in system files to change different things from time delays to other fancier things.

Also, was looking at the virtual keyboard and how its a bit unstable and thinking maybe I could try and start writing my own webos apps? And hopefully if I get good at it start uploading them to the catalog. It is more stable than it seems actually in my experience.

Webos is the best operating system, shame some things aren't up to scratch and don't want to down grade to 1.4.5 because its out of date now. webOS 1.4.5 was never on the Pre 2, although its probably possible.

How many people are still using webos 2.2.4 on pre 2? Pretty much everyone with a GSM Pre 2, except for the VZW version and a select few who stayed behind on 2.1

What things do I need to write my own apps etc? Wanted to patch up some browser problems (the browser is awful when I use it, a shame for me) and try and create my own virtual keyboard as well as try and build a game like Sparkle which I enjoy That's a bit outside my jurisdiction, but you know, the VKB was pretty stable when I used it.

Is webos apps easy to create? What do I need to build a decent game (simple 2D for the moment, strategy like Sparkle).
I have heard java, css, C++, enyo (no idea what this is) etc, can anyone explain?
Java, C++ are programming languages, different ways to tell the computer to do things. CSS is a language used for formatting webpages written in HTML. Enyo is webOS's app scalable app framework (successorto Mojo) using web languages and stuff. But I'm not much of a coder.

Patches easy to create? There are some on hear that aren't in the preware catalog, so wondering what different patches are and what enyo does.

Thank for any input
My input in bold above.
My Copy referral link if you want to try: https://copy.com?r=trzKIA
My OneDrive referral link: MS OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 01:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the input. Sorry should make it clear, when you send a SMS message your network balance pops up. Not sure if this is just for GSM phones I am in UK.

As for the virtual keyboard, I only have to type 2 letters and it crashes. There were more apps and patches in webos 1.4.5 but I take it not many people are on webos anymore.

I have only ever done a but in C++, familiar with HTML and CSS, need to learn Java. May take some time getting used to seems quite difficult to develop an app.
Old 12/02/2012, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

For webOS apps, learn javascript, not java. Very different languages.
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/02/2012, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah javascript I mean sorry hopefully it'll be easy to learn to build some good apps
Old 12/02/2012, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Building apps is easy. Even easier if you know Javascript/HTML/CSS already.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 06:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

The only glitches I've got with 2.2.4 are:

- some apps don't work anymore (a couple of games)
- had to chance my earpiece (BlueTooth) as my BlueAnt V1x no longer worked with the voice commands. Having trouble finding a good replacement that works as well as that one did. Have a JawBone Icon now, not too bad, but only works right in a ad-hoc fashion, need to restart the phone's Bluetooth once in a while. I have a stereo headset which works great, but not something that I want to/can use all the time.

Aside that, it actually fixed a lot of other things that didn't work right with 2.1
Old 12/04/2012, 07:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just a note that I have a Verizon Pre 2, and I'm also running 2.2.4. Thanks to MetaDoctor, we Verizon users are no longer stuck on 2.1.
noahisaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

I've never noticed any issues with 2.1 on my Pre Plus.. I'm curious to know what issues have been addressed in 2.2.4. I've got 2.2.4 on my Pre2, but have considered backing down to 2.1 to see the difference. I'm sure I read long ago, but the main thing I remember is the BT MAP profile.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Keyring converters for CSV, eWallet, & CodeWallet
Touchpad patches:Keyring HD,ClassicNote HD, YouTube HD (for 2.1 app), Show email recipient addresses for contacts
Phone patches: Forums fixes and enhancements patch, Weather Channel fix
All-device patches: Update GlobalSign certs, Google Sync https fix, Yahoo contact sync fix

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

A part from the amazing stacker view and the new features such as adding your own screen it feels a lot more buggy. It isn't as smooth for me, on day one I had it.

My Pre Plus went on me and that's why I decided to upgrade to Pre 2. The whole touch system seems less responsive at times, like the schedular is different and cannot handle the extra load on the device.

Also, is creating apps just like creating a HTML page but adding Javascript? I have built websites in my university but never got into depth about Javascript.

So building an app is just a web page with some fancy javascript to aid the features? (I figured the clue would be in the name WEB os, never realized that!).
Old 12/04/2012, 04:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

I can say: I had a PRe2 whit webos 2.2.4 and It does not work. It is the version. I had to fight, installing, rebooting, installing, rebooting...internet doesnt worked........mail was bad.....Solution: I installed ver 2.2.1 and mi Pre2 worked very good!!....

now I have a PRE3...... that is my help
nc31002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/04/2012, 11:56 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo01 View Post
Also, is creating apps just like creating a HTML page but adding Javascript? I have built websites in my university but never got into depth about Javascript.

So building an app is just a web page with some fancy javascript to aid the features? (I figured the clue would be in the name WEB os, never realized that!).
Sort of, though it's less like web pages in that there are multiple scripts and HTML files in a specific directory structure, and there is only a tiny bit of code in index.html. In Enyo it's almost completely JavaScript.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0