webOS Nation Forums

webOS Nation Forums (/)
-   Palm Pre 2 (http://forums.webosnation.com/palm-pre-2/)
-   -   GPS Not Working On Pre 2 (http://forums.webosnation.com/palm-pre-2/320210-gps-not-working-pre-2-a.html)

Chris Dominowski 11/27/2012 08:16 AM

GPS Not Working On Pre 2

I have a Verizon Pre 2 16GB running webOS 2.1, and I have been having issues getting GPS working in any app. I have location services turned on in its respective options app, and apps that use GPS still don't work. I should note that my device isn't activated on any mobile cellular network, but I don't know how that would be a problem. What can I do to fix this?

John Steffes 11/27/2012 09:46 AM

GPS issues...

[QUOTE=Chris Dominowski;3365121]I have a Verizon Pre 2 16GB running webOS 2.1, and I have been having issues getting GPS working in any app. I have location services turned on in its respective options app, and apps that use GPS still don't work. I should note that my device isn't activated on any mobile cellular network, but I don't know how that would be a problem. What can I do to fix this?[/QUOTE]

Go into phone app, hit ##GPS# (477) click get fix, make sure you are outside to get a good lock...

My Verizon Pre 2 GPS has always worked, others have reported issues, I am using webOS 2.2.4, my daily driver is a Verizon PrePlus with webOS 2.2.4 which GPS has always worked at well...

Some say launch VZNav, there also is a diag test in device info, there is even a GPS Fix app that will wake up and ping, but kills battery life...

The best is to get off of a Verizon build, it is reported that Verizon cripples the functionality, although I have never seen proof of that....

dignitary 11/27/2012 11:32 AM

Verizon's GPS was bad enough that @erupnu (James Harris) created an entire application to get a good lock back in the day. I'd contact @erupnu on Twitter to find out more.

broncot 11/27/2012 11:49 AM

[QUOTE=dignitary;3365159]Verizon's GPS was bad enough that @erupnu (James Harris) created an entire application to get a good lock back in the day. I'd contact @erupnu on Twitter to find out more.[/QUOTE]
The app, GPS Fix, is available in the App Catalog. It was the only thing that helped my Verizon Pre 2. The Pre 3 is 1000000 times better, I do not need to use GPS Fix on my Verizon Pre 3.

lisalover1 11/27/2012 08:23 PM

I still haven't gotten the GPS to work, even with the suggested methods. Maybe the radio is just broken in my Pre 2.

[i]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [url=http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums]Forums[/url][/i]

namgod 12/04/2012 08:24 AM

I've found that with my vz pre 2 that I have to do the same thing to start gps that I had to do with my vz pre+. Which is to start verizon navigator and then shut vz navigator down before using Google or Bing maps or any other program that uses gps. For me this is the only method that had consistent results, the gps helper apps didn't do mush for me although I think there was one app that would start vz navigator and then close it. You don't have to buy the subscription to vz nav to get it start gps, just close it when it asks if you want to

OldSkoolVWLover 12/04/2012 11:12 AM

Seems like a really basic fix, but GPS and locations services are turned on right?

PalmPixi_User23 01/04/2013 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=lisalover1;3365339]I still haven't gotten the GPS to work, even with the suggested methods. Maybe the radio is just broken in my Pre 2.

[I]-- Sent from my Palm Pre using [URL="http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.newnessdevelopments.forums"]Forums[/URL][/I][/QUOTE]

I have some issues with GPS on my Pre 2, it can't get a fix into my location not when I'm using the stupid Bing Maps(which HP cursed WebOS with) nor with the homebrew Google Maps. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or it's something to do with the Pre 2 GPS, but when I'm on Wi-Fi my location gets locked pretty quick not so much on Verizon 3G network. Is there a fix on homebrew community ?

Remy X 01/04/2013 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=PalmPixi_User23;3371667]I have some issues with GPS on my Pre 2, it can't get a fix into my location not when I'm using the stupid Bing Maps(which HP cursed WebOS with) nor with the homebrew Google Maps. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or it's something to do with the Pre 2 GPS, but when I'm on Wi-Fi my location gets locked pretty quick not so much on Verizon 3G network. Is there a fix on homebrew community ?[/QUOTE]

Your problem is Verizon... their code for webOS 2.x is broken

broncot 01/04/2013 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=PalmPixi_User23;3371667]I have some issues with GPS on my Pre 2, it can't get a fix into my location not when I'm using the stupid Bing Maps(which HP cursed WebOS with) nor with the homebrew Google Maps. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or it's something to do with the Pre 2 GPS, but when I'm on Wi-Fi my location gets locked pretty quick not so much on Verizon 3G network. Is there a fix on homebrew community ?[/QUOTE]

You need GPS Fix, it is available in the App Catalog.

PalmPixi_User23 01/07/2013 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=Remy X;3371668]Your problem is Verizon... their code for webOS 2.x is broken[/QUOTE]

I don't know why everything is WebOS is getting either broken or stop functioning, I was so happy with Pre 2 GPS functionality....and now all of the sudden is Verizon that comes along breaking the codes for the WebOS v2.0. Sad thing is that not even HP/WebOS will fix it(will only leave broken like most things in WebOS) :shake::mad: Now using my Pre 2 as a way to get driving directions, is worse that the Apple's Maps on iSheep devices. :eek:

Thanks broncot for the advice, I downloaded the app into my device....hope that it works :rolleyes:

upsidedown 01/07/2013 10:49 PM

Good luck. I have a VZW Pre 2 and even with GPS Fix I can not get a lock unless I first subscribe to VZ Navigator

[QUOTE=PalmPixi_User23;3372144]I don't know why everything is WebOS is getting either broken or stop functioning, I was so happy with Pre 2 GPS functionality....and now all of the sudden is Verizon that comes along breaking the codes for the WebOS v2.0. Sad thing is that not even HP/WebOS will fix it(will only leave broken like most things in WebOS) :shake::mad: Now using my Pre 2 as a way to get driving directions, is worse that the Apple's Maps on iSheep devices. :eek:

Thanks broncot for the advice, I downloaded the app into my device....hope that it works :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=broncot;3371669]You need GPS Fix, it is available in the App Catalog.[/QUOTE]

ananimus 02/08/2013 09:29 PM

Can't speak to Verizon, but can say both my Pre and Frankenpre 2 on Sprint eventually developed GPS issues. On both, after something like a year and a half each, they would only work for a short while before I'd have to reboot to get it working again. Suspected it was hardware giving out though I never did try doctoring.

laingman 02/09/2013 01:08 AM

[QUOTE=ananimus;3377408]Can't speak to Verizon, but can say both my Pre and Frankenpre 2 on Sprint eventually developed GPS issues. On both, after something like a year and a half each, they would only work for a short while before I'd have to reboot to get it working again. Suspected it was hardware giving out though I never did try doctoring.[/QUOTE]

Never had gps problems with pre minus or frankenpre.

OldSkoolVWLover 02/09/2013 06:22 PM

Never had GPS issues on my Sprint Pre or any GSM webOS device