webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre 2 > From 4s to Palm Pre
From 4s to Palm Pre
Like Tree9Likes

Old 11/27/2012, 05:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello guys,

Some of you might think I'm crazy but I'm considering getting a Palm Pre2 and giving my 4s to my wife.

Is this a worthwhile venture or should I just keep my 4s? Is the webos community sleeping or dead? Are decent new apps made available for webos?

Is there a version that's recommendable? webos 2.0?

Thanks
sunshine_bennito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 05:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Depending on how much you can spend I would go for a Pre3. But that's my opinion as a Pre3 owner.
Jozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 06:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertR View Post
I would stick with the 4s. That move makes no sense to me and I can't think of a single reason why it would be a good idea. In case you missed the memo webos is dead.
Well what he can do is check to see if all if the apps he uses are available and can deal with smaller screen size. Other than that, what do you mean no reason. 4s is a fairly new phone running an ancient operating system. Webos is way more fun that stoic iphone

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
laingman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 08:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah get a Pre 3 they are ace.
Pre 3 another owner :-)
mattmayatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz likes this.
Old 11/27/2012, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I'm a recent convert to webOS.

Started with a Pre 2. It seems a solid, workhorse type of phone. I'm not happy with the in-call volume on the built in earpiece though and find myself relying more on Veer. A lot of that depends on what you want to use it for. If you watch a lot of videos or play games for hours - Veer would be out due to 2.6" screen size. Heck, Pre 2 might be ruled out as well.

If you enjoy the OS and want in, then take the plunge. I wouldn't expect any new phones anytime soon. But with the right hardware you can make the phone last a few years and no one knows what will develop in the meantime...

Oh... Accessory - wise Pre 2 is a pretty good bet. There are still lots of accessories floating around for that model.

Is there a list of Apps that you must have? Because if a deal breaker App is missing, it may not ever appear...
RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I love webOS as an operating system...but we can't really know when or if improvements to it will become easily available through open source webOS.

I have a Pre2 and while I do like it very much, there are limitations that are making it hard for me to stay. Some of them are related to webOS issues, others are related to the fact that HP essentially abandoned webOS and stopped making webOS devices, so developers are slowing down development, or dropping support to webOS altogether.

For me, the GPS crippling by Verizon (or due to the poor integration of webOS or webOS Hardware with the Verizon system) is crushing my webOS spirit. Also, I can't just download a PDF and view it effectively. Either I get an error in trying to view it, or it won't show up when I rotate view, or I have to open up another program (Picsel Smartoffice) to view it. I seem to have lagging email issues, lack of full listing of calendar entries (even though I see them as selected). It's getting harder and harder to sit my Pre2 on the touchstone so it doesn't 'ping' at me again and again... It's depressing me.

I hope webOS rises from the ashes, I may have to take a detour between now and then though...probably a Samsung Galaxy SIII, maybe with a touchstone back!

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jozz, DS_Palm_Lvr and PalmPixi_User23 like this.
Old 11/27/2012, 02:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
I love webOS as an operating system...but we can't really know when or if improvements to it will become easily available through open source webOS.

I have a Pre2 and while I do like it very much, there are limitations that are making it hard for me to stay. Some of them are related to webOS issues, others are related to the fact that HP essentially abandoned webOS and stopped making webOS devices, so developers are slowing down development, or dropping support to webOS altogether.

For me, the GPS crippling by Verizon (or due to the poor integration of webOS or webOS Hardware with the Verizon system) is crushing my webOS spirit. Also, I can't just download a PDF and view it effectively. Either I get an error in trying to view it, or it won't show up when I rotate view, or I have to open up another program (Picsel Smartoffice) to view it. I seem to have lagging email issues, lack of full listing of calendar entries (even though I see them as selected). It's getting harder and harder to sit my Pre2 on the touchstone so it doesn't 'ping' at me again and again... It's depressing me.

I hope webOS rises from the ashes, I may have to take a detour between now and then though...probably a Samsung Galaxy SIII, maybe with a touchstone back!
GPS seems to be a verizon issue only. Agree with pdf viewing, it sucks. Your touchstone problem is weird, I have six touchstone and no problems here. GS3? Meh

Old 11/27/2012, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

Here it's a simply advice, keep your iPhone 4S with you.....

I agree with Rockbeast sentiments about WebOS entirely with the Palm Pre 2, not get me wrong its a great OS with great interface much better than Apple's iOS. However, you will making some serious compromises with going with a WebOS 2.0 smartphone like the Pre 2. For one, the WebOS browser is terrible(doesn't even compare to Safari in iOS), there's zero support for apps on WebOS, and there's no match to Apple's iTunes.

And consider this ( HP) dropping all kind of support for WebOS, so you will be living with a phone that there will be no updates or support for that matter (if something breaks or stop functioning).
Old 11/27/2012, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Depends on what you're wanting to do, my friend. If you're like me, and only use a handful of apps daily (Carbon for Twitter, Forums app, the rest are email, calendar and texts), you'll probably find life with the Pre2 or Pre3 delightfully simple.

I have a 4S, and a couple of Android phones; I use them from time to time, but I usually just pocket the Pre3 each day. Just feels good, does what I need, and I enjoy it... that's the most important thing.

If it does what you need, forge ahead. I'm hanging onto my Galaxy Nexus, hoping it'll eventually be the replacement when Open WebOS matures a bit.

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 03:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
GPS seems to be a verizon issue only. Agree with pdf viewing, it sucks. Your touchstone problem is weird, I have six touchstone and no problems here. GS3? Meh

Regarding Samsung Galaxy SIII (S3)...if I get the modded back, I can continue to use my touchstones. And somewhere I read that 'getting the phone to sit just right' is not as much of a challenge with the S3. Touchstones is one...are one...of my favorite things about webOS phones. I've got 3 and I want to keep using them!

That shouldn't be the only reason to pick a phone, but it is one. My Dad just got the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere (the original not the new Strat 2). It has the landscape slide out qwerty keyboard. It has Gingerbread Android though...the Strat 2 has ICS.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/27/2012, 04:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
Regarding Samsung Galaxy SIII (S3)...if I get the modded back, I can continue to use my touchstones. And somewhere I read that 'getting the phone to sit just right' is not as much of a challenge with the S3. Touchstones is one...are one...of my favorite things about webOS phones. I've got 3 and I want to keep using them!

That shouldn't be the only reason to pick a phone, but it is one. My Dad just got the Samsung Galaxy Stratosphere (the original not the new Strat 2). It has the landscape slide out qwerty keyboard. It has Gingerbread Android though...the Strat 2 has ICS.
So what is the fix for universal search on gs3? My co-workers have them, if it was my phone I would take the time to figure it out.

They are too many things that annoy me about that phone. Some thing are better tho

Old 11/27/2012, 04:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

it's also worth noting webOS can very well feel like a beta product at times.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dignitary likes this.
Old 11/27/2012, 05:57 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
it's also worth noting webOS can very well feel like a beta product at times.
I don't know. In many respects it is still more advanced than the new operating systems out there. And it's not just the obvious, little things like underlining the words that were auto corrected, and the ability to delete a whole word at a time. Copy and paste needs work tho.

Considering that there hasn't been any revisions in years it impresses me.

Old 11/27/2012, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)

I'm an iPhone 4s user, but I just bought an HP Veer on eBay.

The only apps/functions I want to use on it are gmail, SMS, calling, facebook, and skype. Am I SOL with webOs? it isn't supposed to replace my 4s, just be another device I will use.

thanks!
Bill Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/28/2012, 10:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

As I have stated before when asked this question, I have said that I was an iphone4 user and went to a veer originally, I found the screen to limiting after being on the iphone with retina display so I got a pre3 and now I gave the iphone4 to my wife. The pre3 is a much better fit for me, much better display then any previous webOS phone. Apps are starting to become lacking as more and more people pull support for the few apps that we did have. I would check to make sure that whatever apps you NEED to use on a daily basis would be available to you. Otherwise, I recommend a pre3, they are far and away the best webOS phone.
creepingmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 04:35 AM   #16 (permalink)

I ended up buying a $35 semi new Samsung Illusiong on ebay. I got pretty lucky, but I'm not so convinced about android. I have Verizon for work but got a ATT phone for work. I may get a Veer and use it as my work phone. Plus It might be fun experimenting.

I'm really curious about webOS but I'm a sucker for archaic OSs. I have a OS/2 box at home.

One last question...

I know there's preware apps, but are there apps from the original app store on webOS?
sunshine_bennito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 05:10 AM   #17 (permalink)

The app store is still working. The Veer is a special case. The small size of the Veer makes it useful for me where I don't want to carry something (working out, dinner party). I use it mostly as notification of emails, texts, calls, a very useful straight talk hotspot, music. Its also a great phone for overseas.
I do not use it for much else including a browser as the screen is too small. I do not consider it a best usage case for webOS for my purposes.

I agree with this quote below for webOS which for me is best experienced on a Pre2 (stability). My Pre3 Verizon is easier to use because of size but is laggy. I am a basic user and like the spirit and innovation of the community. There is nothing llke it.
Since you have another phone OS lying around in case you need apps that are not supported on webOS, you may enjoy experimenting also with a webOS device.

"Depends on what you're wanting to do, my friend. If you're like me, and only use a handful of apps daily (Carbon for Twitter, Forums app, the rest are email, calendar and texts), you'll probably find life with the Pre2 or Pre3 delightfully simple.

I have a 4S, and a couple of Android phones; I use them from time to time, but I usually just pocket the Pre3 each day. Just feels good, does what I need, and I enjoy it... that's the most important thing."

Last edited by bluenote; 11/29/2012 at 05:15 AM.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 05:39 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine_bennito View Post
I ended up buying a $35 semi new Samsung Illusiong on ebay. I got pretty lucky, but I'm not so convinced about android. I have Verizon for work but got a ATT phone for work. I may get a Veer and use it as my work phone. Plus It might be fun experimenting.

I'm really curious about webOS but I'm a sucker for archaic OSs. I have a OS/2 box at home.

One last question...

I know there's preware apps, but are there apps from the original app store on webOS?
Webos is by no means archaic. Yes the app catalog still works.
Old 11/29/2012, 04:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laingman View Post
I don't know. In many respects it is still more advanced than the new operating systems out there. And it's not just the obvious, little things like underlining the words that were auto corrected, and the ability to delete a whole word at a time. Copy and paste needs work tho.

Considering that there hasn't been any revisions in years it impresses me.

It is very advanced in many aspects and I loved the small touches, but its some relatively big things and some features that have been omitted. The largest for me is the odd bugs and quirks.
My OneDrive referral link: OneDrive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/29/2012, 05:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandros9 View Post
It is very advanced in many aspects and I loved the small touches, but its some relatively big things and some features that have been omitted. The largest for me is the odd bugs and quirks.
I have my pre2 (frankenpre) in my hand trying to make a list of bugs.

1. Pdf
2. Messaging sometimes lag. Don't know if its a bug because I never delete texts messages
3. Browser sometimes all pages go blank and sometimes I get checker board on the side. Really strange. This is using universe, can't recall if stock browser ever did that.
4. Maps suck in general

Can't think of anything else right now

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0